A few questions about Activating Magic Items

Alavatar

Baron
Is the verbal "Activate <Spell>" an in-game callout or out-of-game callout?

If you are bound (Binding Magic, Command [such as Arcane Fear], Prison, etc), can you activate a Release or Dispel Magic or Awaken (etc) to remove the effects?

Activating a magic item does not require the use of an in-game skill, correct?

Can you activate a spell without a spell packet in hand?

Alavatar said:
Is the verbal "Activate <Spell>" an in-game callout or out-of-game callout?

Both-ish. It's the same as "Prepare to Die!" IG your character is assumed to be saying something more flourishy. OOG, you say Activate to indicate you're using a magic item.

If you are bound (Binding Magic, Command [such as Arcane Fear], Prison, etc), can you activate a Release or Dispel Magic or Awaken (etc) to remove the effects?

You must follow the rules for the spell you are afflicted by. If those rules would allow you to use an activate, then yes. If not, then no. So no Purifying the silence on you or Awakening yourself from a fear, but Releasing yourself from a confine is perfectly acceptable.

Activating a magic item does not require the use of an in-game skill, correct?

Correct. You may use activates when you are otherwise restricted from using game skills. (Purifying a Nausea, Deathing Nate...)

Can you activate a spell without a spell packet in hand?

No. Activating a spell is, other than what is listed above, like using a spell normally.

Sarah said:
Deathing Nate
Keep in mind that if you're going to be Deathing Nate, you must aim for the crotch, otherwise he won't be affected.

Anyways, you basically have to be able to speak IG to activate. Prison, Paralysis, Sleep, Silence, Death, etc all render you unable to do so, so you can't activate. Sarah hit your questions pretty well, although I'm pretty sure you can Awaken from a Fear (which this thread reminded me I was going to check on.) Per the fear rules on p.81, it doesn't say anything about not being able to activate, just no game abilities, which activating is not.

An interesting side note, you can still Spell Strike while Silenced, even with a weapon that your character can't use. Personally, I always keep packets in both pockets, that way, even if I don't have one in my hand, I can jam my hands in and still cast.

obcidian said:
Sarah said:
Deathing Nate
although I'm pretty sure you can Awaken from a Fear (which this thread reminded me I was going to check on.) Per the fear rules on p.81, it doesn't say anything about not being able to activate, just no game abilities, which activating is not.

You should be able to awaken yourself from the fear but you may not be able to do it within line of sight of the caster.I think it says you must break line of site before attempting to remedy yourself.

I'd give more details but I can't find my effing book.

Book just says fear lasts 10 minutes regardless of LOS, or until the critter's dead.

In general, command spells are not removable by the victim. *shrug*

Edit: I'm just going with what I've always been told on this one.

You can remove command spells yourself. When dominated you don't become controlled until they give you a command. I've quickly awakened myself before being given a command when I get dominated. You can also awaken yourself from a shun.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I would like a little clarification, though.

Sarah said:
You must follow the rules for the spell you are afflicted by. If those rules would allow you to use an activate, then yes. If not, then no. So no Purifying the silence on you or Awakening yourself from a fear, but Releasing yourself from a confine is perfectly acceptable.

So, since Bind, Web, and Confine do not restrict your ability to speak, you can activate a Release if you have a packet in your hand?

The book says that you need a free hand in order to cast, but technically you are not casting a spell (not using an in-game ability) so you should be able to activate it, correct?

Yes. While under a Binding effect you can activate a spell, however, you can't throw a spell packet, since you've 'got no arms,' basically.

obcidian said:
Yes. While under a Binding effect you can activate a spell, however, you can't throw a spell packet, since you've 'got no arms,' basically.

Do you have to have a packet in hand in order to activate a spell (intended to affect only you) from an item? Or can it just be on your person?

Yes, you must have a packet in hand. However, getting a packet out of pocket, for instance, should be an OOG action. (You can't call a hold for it, but you can do it even while under a Web or Bind)

jpariury said:
Yes, you must have a packet in hand. However, getting a packet out of pocket, for instance, should be an OOG action. (You can't call a hold for it, but you can do it even while under a Web or Bind)

I didn't know that was an OOG action. For some odd reason I thought that if you didn't have a packet in your hand when you are bound then you're SOL.

Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications.

Back