a few questions

Hello all, just wanted to ask a few questions, since my rulebook didn't arrive yet,the first is a guide for dagger construction, I can't find one anywhere, also I was wondering if one were to be "disarmed" is there a form of fist fighting or such to defend yourself? And finally (for now) I plan for my character to have a pouch of tools and such and wanted to know what tools would/wouldn't be allowed (telescope, flint, wire, etc.)? Sorry for multiple questions and thank you for any input.

Welcome to Alliance!

Weapon construction is covered extensively in the book, but before that you could look at this: http://alliancelarp.com/weapons.php
It's not great, and will be updated later this year most likely.

There is no hand to hand combat in Alliance, but there are ways to defend yourself without a blade. Gasses, Magic, Wands, Shields, Fighter skills like Dodge, your Armor, and Running away come to mind.

Many tools are allowed, I carry small scissors, rope, a dwarven looking glass, etc. everywhere I go. And I know many a rogue who have full thieves kits. I am sure somethings might not be allowed, but I am not sure what those things would be.

Hopefully someone else will post and shed some light on the subject.

Glowsticks and LED flashlights are always handy to keep around for Liquid Light and Light spells.

The "things not allowed" list is largely comprised of modern tools and devices, the exception to this being glow sticks to represent liquid lights or light spells. Things like laser pointers, LED's (unless you're using it OOG to do things like pull tags) or pretty much anything else that requires batteries is on that list.

Note also that items made of glass are generally not recommended, as you are fairly likely to land on your pouch containing said glass item, which rarely ends well.

Also keep in mind that some states have laws against things like lockpicks (unless you're a real locksmith) and knives over a certain length. Generally for thievery some dental tools, scissors and a decent pocket knife should do you just fine. I've also found that some items out a standard issue high school dissection kit - like hemostats and those long dissection scissors - also work well.

Most states that people are paranoid about owning lockpicks in don't actually make lockpicks illegal. The law in most places state that they're illegal to own if you're caught committing another crime, in which case having them on your person carries various other consequences like proof of intent, changes the type of crime you were involved in, or other fun bonuses. Basically, having lockpicks is only illegal in most places when you're doing illegal things with them, not when picking luggage locks in the woods with your buddies.

Ezri said:
The "things not allowed" list is largely comprised of modern tools and devices, the exception to this being glow sticks to represent liquid lights or light spells. Things like laser pointers, LED's (unless you're using it OOG to do things like pull tags) or pretty much anything else that requires batteries is on that list.

There are three instances where 'modern' items are allowed that I'm aware of. The first is a watch to keep track of time for duration of various spell effects (as well as to know when to eat or go to the logistics location to reset your abilities). The second is a light source for light spells (such as flashlights with filters). The third is for the construction of traps. Buzzers, modern switches, batteries, lights, etc. are allowable because it is really hard to represent gas, explosions or flying guillotines. Other than that, usually if you look at yoursels and, barring the weapons and spell packets, can say "huh, that doesn't fit."

Ezri said:
some states have laws against things like lockpicks (unless you're a real locksmith)
In every state I have played Alliance and NERO (MA, NJ, TX, CA, OR, WA), this has been untrue. Every review of the laws concerning lockpicks has revealed that the law makes possession of any implement with the intention of unlawfully bypassing a locking device some form of crime.

Revised Code of Washington said:
(1) Every person who shall make or mend or cause to be made or mended, or have in his possession, any engine, machine, tool, false key, pick lock, bit, nippers, or implement adapted, designed, or commonly used for the commission of burglary under circumstances evincing an intent to use or employ, or allow the same to be used or employed in the commission of a burglary, or knowing that the same is intended to be so used, shall be guilty of making or having burglar tools.
(2) Making or having burglar tools is a gross misdemeanor.
California Penal Code section 466 said:
Every person having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slidehammer, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent feloniously to break or enter into any building, railroad car, aircraft, or vessel, trailer coach, or vehicle as defined in the Vehicle Code, or who shall knowingly make or alter, or shall attempt to make or alter, any key or other instrument named above so that the same will fit or open the lock of a building, railroad car, aircraft, vessel, trailer coach, or vehicle as defined in the Vehicle Code, without being requested to do so by some person having the right to open the same, or who shall make, alter, or
repair any instrument or thing, knowing or having reason to believe that it is intended to be used in committing a misdemeanor or felony, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Any of the structures mentioned in Section 459 shall be deemed to be a building within the meaning of this section.
Oregon Revised Statutes - Section 164.235 said:
Possession of a burglary tool or theft device. (1) A person commits the crime of possession of a burglary tool or theft device if the person possesses a burglary tool or theft device and the person: (a) Intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking; or (b) Knows that another person intends to use the tool or device to commit or facilitate a forcible entry into premises or a theft by a physical taking. (2) For purposes of this section, “burglary tool or theft device” means an acetylene torch, electric arc, burning bar, thermal lance, oxygen lance or other similar device capable of burning through steel, concrete or other solid material, or nitroglycerine, dynamite, gunpowder or any other explosive, tool, instrument or other article adapted or designed for committing or facilitating a forcible entry into premises or theft by a physical taking. (3) Possession of a burglary tool or theft device is a Class A misdemeanor.
New Jersey Permanent Statutes - Section 2C:5-5 - Burglar's Tools said:
. a. Any person who manufactures or possesses any engine, machine, tool or implement adapted, designed or commonly used for committing or facilitating any offense in chapter 20 of this Title or offenses involving forcible entry into premises. (1) Knowing the same to be so adapted or designed or commonly used; and (2) With either a purpose so to use or employ it, or with a purpose to provide it to some person who he knows has such a purpose to use or employ it, is guilty of an offense. b. Any person who publishes plans or instructions dealing with the manufacture or use of any burglar tools as defined above, with the intent that such publication be used for committing or facilitating any offense in chapter 20 of this Title or offenses involving forcible entry into premises is guilty of an offense. The offense under a. or b. of this section is a crime of the fourth degree if the defendant manufactured such instrument or implements or published such plans or instructions; otherwise it is a disorderly persons offense.
Massachusetts Chapter 266 (crimes against property) Section 49 said:
Whoever makes or mends, or begins to make or mend, or knowingly has in his possession, an engine, machine, tool or implement adapted and designed for cutting through, forcing or breaking open a building, room, vault, safe or other depository, in order to steal therefrom money or other property, or to commit any other crime, knowing the same to be adapted and designed for the purpose aforesaid, with intent to use or employ or allow the same to be used or employed for such purpose, or whoever knowingly has in his possession a master key designed to fit more than one motor vehicle, with intent to use or employ the same to steal a motor vehicle or other property therefrom, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten years or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars and imprisonment in jail for not more than two and one half years.
Texas makes no specific mentions of lockpicks. Feel free to review the penal code, though.

Ah, thank you all for your help and have just one other, I heard there was a LARP in the lehigh valley area and was wondering if that were true or what the closest to Stroudsburg PA would be.

Lehigh Valley and Catskills open next year, HQ is having events all the time (including a low level event great for new players August 7-9 at the site in Montrose, PA)

If you're not ready to PC, NPC is free with your $10 (3 month trial) membership or $30 (full year) membership. Come out and see us, we guarantee you'll make friends, be killed alot (if NPCing), and probably be rained on at some point. It's a blast!

jpariury said:
Lots of legal stuff.

Fair enough - I just know some places will restrict who they sell em to. *shrug*

And yes we use some modern devices oog to represent magical things or traps or what not, but these same things would not really be in an adventurer's "kit" unless of course he's a trap maker, but that's not the impression that I got.

Ezri said:
jpariury said:
Lots of legal stuff.
Fair enough - I just know some places will restrict who they sell em to. *shrug*
Stores might, but legally, the only time I've seen any mention of "only a locksmith", its a matter of who is allowed to sell them, not who is allowed to buy them.

Sorry if I come on strong about it. "Lockpicks are illegal in some states" is just one of the pervasive LARP urban legends that needs squashing. :)

jpariury said:
Ezri said:
some states have laws against things like lockpicks (unless you're a real locksmith)
In every state I have played Alliance and NERO (MA, NJ, TX, CA, OR, WA), this has been untrue. Every review of the laws concerning lockpicks has revealed that the law makes possession of any implement with the intention of unlawfully bypassing a locking device some form of crime.

Yes, but (a) no DA is going to waste his/her time on someone picking locks in a LARP game who obviously has no criminal intent. And if you're being searched for other reasons and they find the lockpicks, then you've got bigger problems anyway.

Fearless Leader said:
Yes, but (a) no DA is going to waste his/her time on someone picking locks in a LARP game who obviously has no criminal intent. And if you're being searched for other reasons and they find the lockpicks, then you've got bigger problems anyway.

Although no DA is going to waste his time, a regional park ranger or officer may decide to cause problems with a group and find any stupid reason to close down the game. It is the reason that we used to avoid them in California. Just didn't want to give them an excuse. And no matter HOW much you are in the right, they have the gun and can shut you down at the time.

These days though, we don't care.

I've seen people searched for "other reasons" lots of times. Always because the cop did an illegal search. I'm glad we didn't have lock picks on us during those searches. I don't care if the DA won't waste time - I could still go through a ton of trouble without actually going to trial.

I know that my chances of having a problem are slim to none now that I'm old, no longer long-haierd, and no longer driving a red muscle car. I'm actually thinking about taking ledgerdemain now but 12 years ago I would never have considered it.
Fearless Leader said:

does the LARP happen every week or just certain weeks? also thanks again if I can I will come in august.

If you go to the alliancelarp.com home page, on the left hand side is a link to the calendar. It has all the events nationwide listed in it.

LordAshBlood said:
does the LARP happen every week or just certain weeks? also thanks again if I can I will come in august.

First of all, welcome to Alliance LARP!

Events happen just about every week throughout the country.
Normally a chapter will have an event once every month.

Typically a seaason of events from a chapter lasts from April to October.
There are only a handful of chapters which offer winter events due to the need for the right accomodations.

Jim

phedre said:
Lehigh Valley, HQ (which is in PA), and Catskills will probably the the closest to Stroudsberg.

NJ is close as well, perhaps closer than Catskills. I don't think the exact location for Catskills has been announced yet.

Back