A Few Rules Questions

Polare

Count
Greetings...

3 rules questions today. Wheeeeee!

#1 is easy. I don't have my rulebook around me -- what are the exact requirements to be able to throw gas globes in 9th edition? Still Alchemy x 3?

#2 is tougher. On the national board a couple weeks ago there was a bit of a discussion about various blade spells/ritual effects/profs/etc. and how they stack and can be combined. The spirit of the 9th edition weapon carrier ideas is that you can call any carrier of the various types that you can produce. However, this is interpreted different ways.

Let's say you have a 1st level fighter with just 1 handed edged and a longsword with a +1 DA.

One chapter rules marshal posted that their chapter assumed that they could swing either 2 Normal or 3 Magic, but not 3 Normal as if you didn't use the "magic" carrier you were essentially "turning off" the entire DA by choice.

A different chapter's rules marshal posted that their chapter assumed that you could use either carrier with either damage call -- thus you could call 3 Normal if you wanted, since you were just letting the "Normal" carrier override the "Magic" carrier.

Which ruling does Seattle go by?

#3. Toughest one. I believe Damage Aura can be spellcrafted. Does a spellcrafted DA require the blade physrep to be white? If so, does this mean that if I fire off the spellcraft in the middle of battle I should call a hold to apply white tape to the physrep, or should I just do it "as soon as is convenient"? Does the weapon physrep need to be safety checked after I alter it by adding or removing white tape?

Thanks
-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
Greetings...

3 rules questions today. Wheeeeee!

#1 is easy. I don't have my rulebook around me -- what are the exact requirements to be able to throw gas globes in 9th edition? Still Alchemy x 3?

#2 is tougher. On the national board a couple weeks ago there was a bit of a discussion about various blade spells/ritual effects/profs/etc. and how they stack and can be combined. The spirit of the 9th edition weapon carrier ideas is that you can call any carrier of the various types that you can produce. However, this is interpreted different ways.

Let's say you have a 1st level fighter with just 1 handed edged and a longsword with a +1 DA.

One chapter rules marshal posted that their chapter assumed that they could swing either 2 Normal or 3 Magic, but not 3 Normal as if you didn't use the "magic" carrier you were essentially "turning off" the entire DA by choice.

A different chapter's rules marshal posted that their chapter assumed that you could use either carrier with either damage call -- thus you could call 3 Normal if you wanted, since you were just letting the "Normal" carrier override the "Magic" carrier.

Which ruling does Seattle go by?

#3. Toughest one. I believe Damage Aura can be spellcrafted. Does a spellcrafted DA require the blade physrep to be white? If so, does this mean that if I fire off the spellcraft in the middle of battle I should call a hold to apply white tape to the physrep, or should I just do it "as soon as is convenient"? Does the weapon physrep need to be safety checked after I alter it by adding or removing white tape?

Thanks
-Bryan

#1 Easy. Yes... Alchemyx3 to throw, and just to review: Alchemy 1 to apply blade posions and mix achemy into food. Herbal lore to identify alchemy without drinking it.

#2 I was just thinking about this question myself... Good question. Not by any Seattle Ruling but my experience has been that you may still swing all the damage and change the carrier.

#3 First off, it needs to be physrepped. Usually this is done by a single piece of white duct tape down the length of the blade rather than covering the entire blade since that can be very difficult to remove.
As to adding the tape my first note would be that one REALLY shouldn't be casting damage aura's in combat. You can if you REALLY REALLY want to but realise that you need to have the formal scroll out and readable in order to cast. If I were an NPC with any decent level of intellegence and a threat level that made it worth you having to cast a DA right now, I'd jump the guy casting it immediately and sprint off with the DA scroll. So having noted the point that it really should be done beforehand for common sense, rules wise I would state that you may not call a hold to add to the physrep. As to wheather an immediate physreping is necessary... I'll leave that up to Seattle's marshals to decide.

Marc
Marshal, just not in Seattle.

1. Correct. Alchemy 3 is required to throw gas globes.

2. You may choose to call any carrier the weapon is capable of delivering at any time independant of the damage. You do not need to "turn off" your damage aura in order to not swing magic.

3. You must physrep the spellcrafted DA (a white strip lengthwise down the striking surface of the weapon will be sufficient), however you may not call a hold to tape the blade. The spellcrafting is not considered to be completed until you have finished the incant AND have prepared the physrep.

Masticon said:
#3 First off, it needs to be physrepped...

Yep, your answers kinda sum up what I was thinking. I too think you'd have to be a bit daft to be spellcrafting something like a DA in battle, but then again I remember hearing a high-up NERO muckity muck once stating quite firmly that they couldn't possibly comprehend why anyone would ever want to not call full damage on a slay, so it goes to show that you really need to look at all sides of an issue and set the rules appropriately. There *WILL* someday be someone who whips out a formal scroll in battle and tries to get away with spellcrafting a cloak/DA/what-have-you.

-Bryan

Shikar al'Basteua said:
3. You must physrep the spellcrafted DA, however you may not call a hold to tape the blade (a white strip lengthwise down the striking surface of the weapon will be sufficient).

The last question I had that didn't get answered: When a weapon is "altered" by adding tape or removing tape, do I need to get it safety checked? Common sense says "no, adding *or removing* a solely decorative piece of tape does not affect a weapon's safety" but I'd like to have it stated beforehand so that it's clear to all.

Of course, that *does* bring up YET ANOTHER similar question.

Say I'm holding a weapon with a +1 DA (permanenced). My physrep is a longsword with white tape on the entire blade as the only tape coating.

I (or my sword) am hit by a "Arcane Destroy Formal" packet (I've seen them thrown before) in the midst of a battle. Can I use the weapon for the rest of the fight, or is it immediately unusable (and me disarmed) simply because the physrep is the wrong color? I realize this is a silly, nitpicky question but I'm curious on this issue.

Reminds me that it's something to put up on the national "What would you do..." thread though!

Thanks for the answers...

-Bryan

In the case of simply adding a strip of tape I would allow the weapon to be used without a new safety check.

IF for some strange reason there is something throwing anything like that around, I'm sure you would be allowed to continue to use the weapon for the remainder of the combat.

Shikar al'Basteua said:
IF for some strange reason there is something throwing anything like that around

That's the right attitude!

Somehow I can hear Bryan (the Seattle one) in the back of my head whispering "you mean WHEN there is something throwing anything like that around... and soon! muhahahaha!"... Scary!

Polare Lissenstine said:
I (or my sword) am hit by a "Arcane Destroy Formal" packet (I've seen them thrown before) in the midst of a battle. -Bryan

I personally would call a FLUB. There is no ritual named "Destroy Formal". Then I would run very fast and very far.

Assuming I was hit by an "Arcane Destroy Magic <Aspect>" I would immediately call a hold and ask for a card to be immedately checked by a marshall. Currently in the rules and monster database there is no precident for Arcane rituals being thrown or cast. Dragon Magic and the like is thrown as Magic not Arcane.

Lastly I would declare the single plain old copper coin in my pocket as the target of the ritual keeping my spirt rituals safe from being destroyed.

Marc

Masticon said:
I personally would call a FLUB. There is no ritual named "Destroy Formal". Then I would run very fast and very far.

Assuming I was hit by an "Arcane Destroy Magic <Aspect>" I would immediately call a hold and ask for a card to be immedately checked by a marshall. Currently in the rules and monster database there is no precident for Arcane rituals being thrown or cast. Dragon Magic and the like is thrown as Magic not Arcane.

Lastly I would declare the single plain old copper coin in my pocket as the target of the ritual keeping my spirt rituals safe from being destroyed.

Marc

Since this can of worms has been opened, Dragon Magic is incanted as such (ie, "I call upon the power of the dragon to blah blah blah", or some such obvious incant), not delivered by "magic" or "arcane".

However, Plot may choose to deliver any existing effect (including ritual, if they so choose) by any existing delivery or qualifier at any time. Remember, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't exist.

Thirdly, the ritual would affect your body, not an item on your person. Any rituals of the proper aspect upon your body at the time of the effect would suffer the Destroy Magic effect. If you want to stop it with that old worn coin, you'd better make sure it hits that old worn coin and not you.

Now, that said can we PLEASE let this lie?

Back