A LARP documentary

arrows

I like thier Real Bows Arrows (padded of coarse) and would love to know more about them.
didn't see the ballista, but knopw how to build one Seth and I have made a catapult.

Nordie said:
I like thier Real Bows Arrows (padded of coarse) and would love to know more about them.
IIRC, they work like NERO's used to work: 30lb maximum pull strength, with a ball of tape, 35mm cannister, and weapon tip in the end. A lot of LARPs use that method: Darkon, Dragon Crest (I think), and Amtgard, included. I miss those days.

jpariury said:
IIRC, they work like NERO's used to work: 30lb maximum pull strength, with a ball of tape, 35mm cannister, and weapon tip in the end. A lot of LARPs use that method: Darkon, Dragon Crest (I think), and Amtgard, included. I miss those days.
Anyone know what happened to have nero change theirs to packets? I presume someone got hurt or something.

Kauss said:
Anyone know what happened to have nero change theirs to packets? I presume someone got hurt or something.

I would presume just for overall safety. There's a number of problems with using actual bows. Among them the bow itself when dropped or discarded or hit with weapons isn't padded. Also arrows have a tendency to warp, break (leaving two nice pointy sticks), or not fly streight and occasionally miss a target entirely with the pad and strike with the shaft. They're horribly inaccurate and headshots tend to abound and are totally uncontrolable, far worse than packets.

Personally I loved how it worked out in amtgard but in order to make it worth it in Nero a bow would have to have near slay damage to be worthwile. They're much better in a limb damage based system than a hitpoint based system.

Marc

Marc has the basics of it. Generally speaking, real bows were removed due to issues with the bows themselves. People would block with them, cutting into foam, the bow tips aren't padded, and padding an actual bow leads to massively reduced performance. I would disagree with the arrow breakage issue... aluminum shaft arrows don't break without someone really trying, but they do warp, which leads to poor accuracy, headshots, groin shots, etc. A straight arrow is fine, but people have a tendency to want to swat them out of the air, which leads to the warping problem.

One of the other problems became more prevalent when Amtgard shields, which tend to be padded and thus have more "spring" to them, would block the arrows, causing them to fly straight back, with the nice, unpadded nocking tip headed to nearby meleeists.

In the 16-some-odd years I've played, I 've only seen two "unreasonable" injuries due to bows. The first was from the nock-bounce problem, which hit a player in the eye, and the other was due to a player insisting that their 30lb pull compound bow did not pose a prevalent increase in power, who then shot an arrow that another player blocked into their own crotch.

There have been sucessful experiments and uses of "golf tube arrows" and other similar devices, but NERO, both International and Alliance, is slow to change it's opinion of bows as unsafe.

Back