A story at the forge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greimalk

Tal walks slowly through the gloom towards the distant flames. He hears the booming of the craftsman at his forge, creating some new piece of armor or weapon with his worn hammer. Sweat dripping from his feathers in the immense heat, Tal steps within the circle of light cast by the mighty fire of the forge. He spies skilled Hamish raining thunderous blows upon the blazing red steel of a fine new longsword. As the last rolling crash of his hammer falls, Hamish looks toward the shadow standing at the edge of his molten world with a silent question in his eye's.

"I do not mean to disturb your labors my good friend Hamish, but I would speak with you about a interesting request"

Sweat running down his bare arms, he waves Tal toward his scarred work bench as he plunges the glowing sword into the quenching bath. Wiping his scarred hands upon a nearby cloth, he moves casually to the bench, not once uttering a sound. Tal draws forth from the shadows of his cloak a small cloth wrapped item and places it on the bench; drawing back the fabric for Hamish to see the item hidden within. As the light from the fire touches the item a rippling shine of metal glows across its surface. Exposed on the cloth lies a leathery scale; half the size of Hamish's hand, brilliantly red and flecked throughout with fragments of metal.

Tal speaking quietly says "I recently met a man traveling on the King's Road who after a belly full of drink told me of a beast who had died nearby from the swords of an Orc scouting party. They had died to the last striking the creature many bleeding wounds." Looking around cautiously Tal continues "This traveler came upon the site within a day of the battle, little remained of the Orcs to loot from but the creature lay nearby within a cave well hidden but for the blood trail. Venturing slowly and carefully he found the creature laying dead within its bone strewn cavern and about its body lay some of its scales. Fearing more such creatures or other predators, he quickly snatched up a handful of the scales and fled, hoping to make what profit he could from the encounter".

Pausing for breathe and a quick look around, Tal resumes his story, "The traveler walked for two days before I met him; exhausted and fearing that the creature would hunt him down from the grave because of the stolen scales. He quickly offered to sell me the scales for a kingly amount, which you know well I cannot afford. After many drinks from my skin of mead we agreed to a more reasonable price and he continued down the road, lighter of the scales but heavier from my last remaining coins."

"From the travelers directions I drew a map to the location of the battle and after gathering as much equipment as I could, set forth to locate the remains of the creature." I will not regale you with the details of my journey, but know that I went slowly and carefully, so that I could avoid as many of the predators and hazards as were described by the frightened traveler. I eventually found the sight of the battle; nothing remained of the Orcs but a few bones and a few rusting sword fragments. Of the blood trail there was no sign; rain or some other natural occurrence had hidden it completely. After searching the area for more then a day I was sorely tested to return home to Parson's Breach; a worn out traveler with but a few coppers to my name. As I sat down against a shelf a rock to rest my tired feet, what do I see but a small cave opening partially buried by a rock slide and hidden within a corpse of bushes. Hoping against hope, I lit my torch and slowly made my way into the cave and as it was exactly described by the traveler, here lay the creature. Wasting no time, I gathered as many scales as I could from the cave floor and from the carcass till my packs were full.

I returned but last night from my adventure and have barely slept at all for the ideas and plans that have been spinning in my head for the uses of these scales. I would make you a gift of all the scales my friend Hamish for a simple request; fashion me a suit of scale mail which will barely scratch the contents of my packs and the rest are yours to deal with as you see fit.

Do we have a deal?

Hamish retrieves a bit of charcoal and a piece of unused hide and starts sketching plans.
"So, Tal me lad, ye found these joost liein' aroond. Ah'm gonna need a little time to figure oot what Ah kin do with the little perishers. Ah'll nae be able too deliver any armor till after the Feast of Crows. Ah have some personal business that will take me away from the Breach for a while. Ah shan't be wantin' to miss this opportunity but if ye need immediate delivery Ah cannae do it for ya. Do ye know what these wee fellers are worth or am Ah just making stuff and seein what happens."

Tal slowly wraps the glittering scale and places it back within his cloak. "I understand Hamish, but with the recent attacks, I sorely need to have the armor crafted to aid in the defense of Parson's Breach. I will leave you a sack full of scales for future armor forgings, but for now I will seek out a certain dwarf corporal of the Home Guard. Perhaps he can assist me in the crafting before the Feast of Crows; since I have a suspicion that we have not seen the last of the Orc and undead raids upon the town."
"Thank you for your time and silence on this Hamish, I look forward to our next opportunity to stand shoulder to shoulder on the field of combat." Tal reaches out and clasps Hamish's arm and shakes it, knowing that the town is safer for their presence, as he turns and walks back into the shadows and the smoke. As Tal fades away, he can be heard saying " So where should I begin looking for Klanganor - the bathhouse or the alehouse?" as he begins to laugh loudly and deeply.

Dramm steps out of the back storage room, "Aye, a customer. What were you inquiring about my good sir?"

Klanger rests comfortably by the fire at the inn.

Stepping into the tavern, Tal catches Artie's eye and signals for two tankards by the fireplace. Moving through the busy bar he finds an empty chair and moves it closer to the fireplace beside Klanger. As he sits down the comely serving girl arrives with the drinks; Tal flashes her a smile and hands her the coins for the drinks and slips her another for her beautiful eyes. As she moves back through the crowd Tal's eyes follow the swaying action, till he hears a chuckle from Klanger and something that sounds like "Dirty Bird". Looking at Klanger, Tal begins to laugh and says " Even old birds still like to dream". With those words, his laugh dies and his thoughts turn to his dreams of the previous evening which chills his blood even beside the roaring fire - the voice tinged with black, calling him and screaming and the other voice colored in burning hatred, taunting him.

His thoughts returning to the present, Tal looks to Klanger and asks as quietly as he can "Longbeard, how do you feel about crafting some unusual armor for me". Pulling the wrapped item from within his cloak, Tal passes it to Klanger and says " I have 4 bags of these pieces but no coin to pay for the crafting; all I ask is one suit and the rest are yours to deal with as you see fit. Can we make a deal?

Klanganore looks the the items." Aye I can make this for thee. Now about my needing man...er birdy power for the Guard.... This will cost me a bito coin to work. If however I was doing the work for a guardsmen..."

Tal 's ale explodes from his mouth and into the fire as he coughs for air. Looking over at Klanger, Tal see's the gleam in his eye and sputters "Are you asking me to join the Home Guard?"

"You know I need every swinging blade I can get my hands on, so yes I am. The armour will cost me personally several silver to make. I am willing to cover that cost if you give me your word you'll serve a three month tour. If you like the service you can remain and take promotion as its erned. What say you birdman?"

Looking into his ale cup, Tal mulls over the request for several minutes. The lights and noise of the inn begin to fade into the background and a string of images begin to flash across the surface of his drink. Using his mental training, he focus' on the 1st of the images and see's a glimpse of the upcoming struggles that await himself and the town. Pushing forward through the images he sees the creature waiting for himself and his fellow Biata at the foot of the corrupted Homestone. Feeling that evil trying to pull him in he rushes forward to the later images; of himself riding into his families manor and lands, his family battle standard blowing in the breeze, the Gryphon Rampart returned. The images fade and the noise and confusion of the tavern begin to return, but the last thing he remembers of each of the images is that each future possibility showed the tabard prominently.

Raising his head slowly, Tal looks at Klanger as if he had not seen him for years and asks " Do you have one in my size and will it match my feathers?"

"I have just such a one" Klanganore states with a twinkle in his eye. "I will talk to supply and have it ready for ye in a flash. You'll look grreat in baby blue and white." A smile spreads accross his face.

"Dramm! I've need of the forge to get this guarsmen freshly equiped. Have any of the other lads need of it?"

"No one has requested access to the forge yet, so go ahead, it is for you to use this moon," Dramm nods his head and goes back to inspecting a new shipment of metal ore that came in.

"My thanks master smith" Klanganore hollers back.

When you turn to speak to Tal, you realize he has bolted from the tavern. You have not seen or heard from him since.

Sincerely... PLOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back