A Time to Rebuild

Shanthony

Fellow adventurers of Gaden,

The recent attack on Hope's Reach has left many citizens dead, displaced or otherwise missing and many homes have been decimated, storehouses raided. Over the next month I wish to organize a party to tend to our town's wounds. I implore you to volunteer if you have no business to attend to the weeks ahead. In presenting ourselves to the aid of Hope's Reach we will be put to work. I expect we will be tasked to rebuild homes, search for missing persons, tend to the wounded, work on farms, the like.

That being said, it isn't glorious work but it needs to get done. Let us not turn our backs on those in need and let us be humble in placing our effort in something less profitable and exciting then the adventuring life we are used to.

Thank you,
Anthony Roe

Anthony, if you would be interested I could help you get in touch with leaders of the militia and local officials who may be organizing the things you are looking to help with. Also count me in.

-Sheriff York Winters.

I would be glad to assist you in these noble endeavors Anthony.

Thorgrim Stoneaxe, of the Runebinder Clan

For anyone wishing to help out but is without the time to do so, the Earth Guild will need help in the way of coin. There are many who lost their homes and the Earth Guild is always the first to take people in. Their holds will grow strained very quickly. I am afraid that the Celestial Guild suffered quite a hit during the attack.
There is a lot of rebuilding needed though out the land.

Fredrick Crawford, Apprentice of the Celestial Guild

Mr. Roe,

If you have time in the next could you perhaps write me a short letter in regards to this effort, it would make a great side column to an article I am writting for the Gaden Gazette entitled "Danger and Destruction - Where did our squires go?" about this previous marketday.

Similarly while i have a few quotes from some of the common folk around the area, if anyone has good knowledge of where the Squires, and even the rest of their gang of adventurers were during this attack I would be most grateful to include that in my article. It is due to be finished in about a week, so those interest please send such letters via pigeon to my roost located at plot@mnalliance.com.

I will of course be happy to pay folks for information that I end up using in my work.

Regards,

Rogan Lightfoot,
Purveyor of information and fine paper.

Mr Rogan,

I would like to remind you that, any articals regarding strategic movements and such should be cleared by the crown... Things could grow even worse if information that, seemed harmless, turned out to hold some importance after all. I want all of Gaden to be as safe as it can be.

Fredrick Crawford

matrim1985 said:
Mr Rogan,

I would like to remind you that, any articals regarding strategic movements and such should be cleared by the crown... Things could grow even worse if information that, seemed harmless, turned out to hold some importance after all. I want all of Gaden to be as safe as it can be.

Fredrick Crawford

I'm sorry sir, I seem to be unaware of your station, why is it you are quoting laws to me? A well informed populace is essential to the realm, it sounds to me like you are one of those that enjoys secrets simply for the priviledge of having them. Your reminder, and those like it, often having a chilling effect on those that would tell the truth because it bears a cloud of potential judgement and punishment with it and I find it to be the lowest form of opposition to those in my line of work!

-Rogan Lightfoot.

Master Lightfoot,

If the press needs a scape-goat please let it be me and not the squires. I ordered them to another task, I knew the danger and did not properly estimate the losses incurred by our forces for our absence.

I've seen many leaders make excuses, hide behind titles, obscure their failures and offer empty words for mistakes made. I make no excuses, the coin stops at the bottom of this purse, I am responsible for taking the Squires out into the field despite a known danger and I alone bear responsibility for our failure to properly defend the people of Hope's Reach and Shademarch.

I stand by my failure on the basis of my regard for this country, its laws, and our leadership. I offer no defense of my action but that I saw no alternative which allowed us victory on both fronts. Had there been, I know full well the brave adventurers of Shademarch would have bled deeply and confidently in the defense of their homes and made the sacrifices needed to get there.

I will submit my report of our actions to the Crown and ask their leave to sit with you for an interview so the people can know fully the actions of the other night. If they see fit to allow me to speak to you, I will ask ,however, that you take a care to keep certain you present your information in a fair and balanced fashion.

In conclusion, I remind the people that this is not the first loss Gaden has suffered, this shall not be the last but for my failures this last gather I apologize. I know no apology in letter or word can recoup lost children, lost fathers, sisters, or wife's so what I offer is cold comfort. I can only offer this, I promise on my oaths, that their lives were not wasted in vein, that the loses of the people will be repaid in full and tenfold by the corruption that plagues our lands and that someday, your children, or your children's children may have a chance to walk in untainted lands because of the sacrifices of this generation.

Regards,

Fern Woods
Bonded Guardsman of Gaden

PS- I will offer shelter, jobs, and material aid to any who seek it through any Milner/Hollyco company or subsidiary.

Fern,

I would be glad to interview you on this, It is extremely rare that the crown would require a bondsman to be silent on such happenings. I'll promise however, only that I will not misquote, either in wording or intent, beyond that my article will develop as it will I expect.

-Rogan Lightfoot.

I'm feeling a LOT better after my nap (s).... I can probably come help as soon as I find where I misplaced my cloak, I had it when I went to bed I remember...

-Jehyu

Unless Nakira is called by duty, expect to see her there.

Mr Lightfoot, I understand that the press needs to have answers, but right now is not the time. This is not the time to point blame or take blame, now is a time to help those who have been hurt from this attack. As Fern stated, no apology can recoup the lost, but we can help those still here. Help those people return to some form of normal. I'm sure once that is done, Mr. Lightfoot, many people will be willing to speak to you on this matter.

Anthony, count Ms. Storm and myself in. See you soon.

Squire Foss Siril of Wayside

I disagree, you state that you are a squire, although I do not recognize the land so I assume you must be traveling from places unknown sir Foss, now is the only time that answers can help. It seems from some responses that there is a concern they my goal is to slander the squires, this is not the case, but if there is a reason they were not here to lead the defence in a time of need for Shademarch, I think the people have a right to know.

The near celestial rise of many of the travelers through the mists in influence and prestige leads many to wonder what it is that graces them with such importance. Baroness Shademarch has made it clear that much of her territory is in part protected by the adventurers, aside from Kalmok's Anvil, which continues to fail to stop the entirety of the corrupt that seek to enter the valley as it's enchantments are still being replace, who knows if that will ever be completed, the Barony of Shademarch is defended almost entirely by men at arms, the guilds, the knights, and their squires.

I am surprised at the pushback, the people already know the squires were not there, I am offering a chance for the reasons for their absence to be explained. Was it for the greater good? Was the sacrifice nessasary, did some evil force draw them off? In the end I'm going to write my article, I would be happier with a more balanced article, but if people simply don't have the time to spare a few words, or worry somehow that an honest view of what happened will show them in a poor light, then I will completed my article with the sources I already have.

-Rogan Lightfoot

Greetings Rogan Lightfoot,

Please excuse the lateness of this dream message; I have not slept since the attack. I would be honoured to participate in your article so long as it reflects, as previously stated, balance and true accounts.

I am Squire Victor von Gryphon, these are my words.

Do not believe for a moment that your squires or adventures would have left without reason.

Do not hang your heads, but instead look to the truth of the matter.

If there is a face that you must turn to for answers, let it be mine.

While Shademarch suffered a terrible attack, this was intended to preoccupy the adventurers as a distraction from the Corrupts’ true goal. You asked if this was a necessary sacrifice - yes – for the good of Gaden we fought the corrupt and prevented their primary goal from succeeding. The adventurers that I lead most certainly prevented a far worse calamity that would have resulted in the corrupt gaining access to many invasion points across Gaden. If the corrupt would have been successful, the damage done would have been far worse.

We sent word with what very little time we were given to the local authorities and powers that be to come to the defence of Shademarch. They fought bravely and are to be commended for their efforts and sacrifice. By their efforts many lives were saved from the raiding evil of our vile enemy.

If there is a face that you must curse for your loss, let it be mine.

The loss of life in Shademarch is unacceptable, and I accept full responsibility. This incursion will not go unanswered. The safety and security of the people of Shademarch falls on my shoulders. I took an oath to protect and always be in service to the people. I fulfilled that oath through the choices I had to make. We are at war, and our generation has always been at war, never knowing a time of peace. I cannot promise a time of peace, no one can, but I can tell you that I will be ever vigilant against our enemies and that I will seek out their destruction – as I and the brave adventurers did with the Coatl, so will it be with this enemy.

If there is a face that you must cry out to, let it be mine.

The tragedy that has befallen Shademarch must be rectified. Wounds need to be healed, homes need to be rebuilt, businesses reopened. Now is the time for the people of Shademarch to come together and be re-forged as a stronger community. There are multiple initiatives underway to recover, relocate, repair, and reconstruct. I urge all people of Shademarch to come together in this time of need and help each other stand strong. We are – and always will be – stronger when we act together. Take note and make preparations, for it is through these trials of hardship that we will provide a stronger and safer tomorrow for our future generations.

If there is a face that you must look to find hope, let it be mine.

I will continue to fight the corrupt and continue to protect our home. I swear now - as I swore during the time I accepted my squire belt – and as I have always swore - to protect the people of Gaden to my dying breath. Should my spirit be torn from me and my ashes scattered across my beloved Gaden – the sun will shine on a brighter day - and I will still be her guardian forevermore.

Walk with Honour,
Squire Victor von Gryphon

Rogan Lightfoot,
When has the entirety of the defense of shademarch fallen on a couple of squires, people who are only in *training* to become knights? Maybe you should title your article "Danger and Destruction, why the crud are we worried what the squires are doing when the major military defenses at Kalmok's Anvil have failed?"

Those who settle on the frontier know both the risks and the rewards of doing so. Their loss is felt deeply, but it was not in vain.

Hunter Davion

Back