A Trip down Memory Lane - 3rd Ed Player's Guide

markusdark

Knight
Upon request of a couple of individuals, I have scanned in the 3rd Edition NERO's Player's Guide and put it up on the web. If you'd like to see how far we've come as well as how much has remained the same, feel free to take a look. It is a large file though as I scanned it in color since it was actually the color of the ink and pages that helped lend itself to the flavor of the game. If I could only include the scent of the old pages of the book too. ;)

reEdit: Received NERO's permission to post the rulebook:

www.larping.net/Nero/Nero3ed.pdf

So it wasn't copyrighted?

Is he distrubiting and selling it?

doesn't matter. any distribution of the original document including free and electronic should be covered under the copyright

Well, never officially copyrighted. None of the books were ever officially copyrighted until I started Ashbury and copyrighted my own books. That was one of the main points on my side during the lawsuit.

edit: And it should be noted that we used to call the Rule Book the "Players Guide" back then. So this is technically the Rule Book for 1991 or so.

Fearless Leader said:
Well, never officially copyrighted. None of the books were ever officially copyrighted until I started Ashbury and copyrighted my own books. That was one of the main points on my side during the lawsuit.

edit: And it should be noted that we used to call the Rule Book the "Players Guide" back then. So this is technically the Rule Book for 1991 or so.

gotcha. nevermind then, post away haha. man, now i know why the law suit was so long. if that would have been registered, open and shut case.

Well I did ask Joe V for permission to produce it online as others were asking for a copy of it. I hadn't heard from him in 2 weeks so I went ahead and posted it. If he tells me to remove it, I will however I believe most trouble with copyright infringements is when someone is trying to make money off of it. Most people usually are OK if there is no money to gain. Like Lucas does with all the fan films that are made about Star Wars.

I just found it again a few months ago and began to feel nostalgic as it was the first introduction to LARPing for me and was given to me by a player who came down to NY to buy some replica armor from me. It was my first taste and what got me hooked. I'm not sure how hooked I would have been if it was just regular black and white print though. Those pages added atmosphere.

Fearless Leader said:

P.S. What actually is the state of the lawsuit? I get the sense that it just sort of fizzled out. Is this true or did we get anywhere with it?

I wonder if Rankin Bass is going to sue Nero for using a picture of one of the dwarves from the hobbit.

Heh.

Dreamingfurther said:
Fearless Leader said:

P.S. What actually is the state of the lawsuit? I get the sense that it just sort of fizzled out. Is this true or did we get anywhere with it?

Basically, we were negotiating and Joe and his lawyer just sat on it for a while and wouldn't respond. Then the time limit for negotiation ran out, which meant that we would have to refile (not a big deal, really).

I decided that I had spent enough of my life fighting over this stupid thing. It had caused untold headaches and even when I won, they wouldn't end, and we wouldn't really get much money out of it. So I said "I'm moving on, and changing the name. Joe has permenantly ruined NERO's reputation anyway, better to not be associated with it."

Joe of course, being himself, now lies and tells everyone he won the case, which is of course not true. It just died, and I let it die.

And I am a lot happier, and in the long run, that's what life is all about.

Wow have we come a long way.

Although.... I wont lie. I REALLY want to see a comback for the Waste spell.

Now THAT is some 9th lvl Evocation. Leaving the target at 1 body. It might even compete with Prison... maybe.

Yea that is amusing and funny to read the old spell lists coming from a player who has only used the current rulebook. =)

Ah I had thought something like that had happened with the Lawsuit but that makes sense now.

Does anyone else suddenly want to build an NPC whos been stuck in some 'magical stasis' for too long?
"Hey.... why dosent anything work right any more? Im a master spell singer!"

so.... the IG stuff in here is actually valid history for the HQ campaign from the time before Fortannis then?

Marks an interesting point in history, since the 3rd edition book also marks the last point where the game's playerbase was unsplintered. It's the direct ancestor for what became LAIRE's rulebooks.

3rd ed Guide what I ended up with as my first LARP rulebook with the original NERO-NJ. Ashbury would have ended up a much different game if it hadn't been a victim of the first big split- like Mike not running things!

And bring back Doom as well!

Back