Additional 1st lvl Celestial suggestions

jpariury

Duke
(Had a few variants on the theme... this one is the "fits the mechanics" version.)
Disarm Shield (Celestial 1, Indefinite)
I grant you the power of a Disarm Shield
Grants immunity to the first Disarm effect the character is struck by. In the case of additional applicable "first-x" options (Spell Shield, Magic Armor, Elemental Shield, etc.), player may choose which defense to call. Proper call is "Disarm Shield".

Lesser Mark (Celestial 1, 1 Day)
With Eldritch Force, I build a Lesser Mark
Allows the caster to place a 3"x3" magical tattoo on a willing recipient. The Lesser Mark will vanish at the end of the Logistical period.

Claw (Celestial 1, Battle)
I grant you the power of a Claw
Allows the victim to make use of a single dagger-length claw as a weapon. Proficiencies, Backstabs, etc. may all be used in conjunction with this spell. The Claw will vanish at the end of the battle.

Beseech (Celestial 1, Concentration)
With Mystic Force, I Beseech you
Target must attempt to approach within ten feet of the caster. Caster must move one arm as if inviting the target to join them. This effect ends if the target suffers damage, or the caster stops motioning them forward.

With the changes to claw size do you mean it to stay dagger size? Totally understandable seeing as its a first level spell, just wondering. If you do keep it dagger size there could even be a 3rd or 4th level "grater claw" spell that makes one short sword length.

I don't like Disarm Shield. It's an effect that invokes the "Double blind defense" confusion. The call is also confusing, primarily because there is already an ability that uses the call "Disarm Shield." (The fighter skill Disarm, against someone using a shield, via a normal weapon).
Though I could see it setting up amusing "Who's on First" scenarios:
Sir Abbott: "Prepare to Die, Disarm Shield!"
Sorcerer Costello: "Disarm Shield!"
A: "That's what I said alright."
C: "Right, Disarm Shield."
A: "So, are you gonna drop it?"
C: "Nope, Disarm Shield."
A: "Right. Third Base!"

I don't see lesser mark getting used, almost ever, really. Other then that, no problem.

I think that dagger claws are generally going out, so I'm not sure if that one is really viable.

Beseech isn't bad, but it might be more useful then a 1st level spell. I'm not sure you could rip from it (even though it's binding, it just sounds weird), and if used well it could be crazy effective.

If anyone wishes to make a serious proposal, remember to place the plusses and minusses to the new rule in the proposal. You can then forwardf it to an ARC member (we all know who, right?). Please be aware that, even if it gets through ARC, each rule requires a 75% yes vote from ownership to pass.

obcidian said:
I don't like Disarm Shield. It's an effect that invokes the "Double blind defense" confusion. The call is also confusing, primarily because there is already an ability that uses the call "Disarm Shield." (The fighter skill Disarm, against someone using a shield, via a normal weapon).
Fair point. I had other wordings (Retain Object, Retained), but I was trying to stick with existing rules. I suppose it could be an "optional" resist vs. disarm, similar to delayed endow being an "optional" boost to a swing.

I don't see lesser mark getting used, almost ever, really. Other then that, no problem.
Going for something fairly weak (replacing Detect Magic, afterall) but fun to use.

I think that dagger claws are generally going out, so I'm not sure if that one is really viable.
I think dagger-length claws that you spend 6 build on are going away. I don't believe dagger-length weapons in general are going away. This is intended to be a nifty "I don't have a weapon skill, but I can still fight occasionally" spell without devaluing the racial claw skill.

Beseech isn't bad, but it might be more useful then a 1st level spell. I'm not sure you could rip from it (even though it's binding, it just sounds weird), and if used well it could be crazy effective.
Can't rip from Repel either. It's intended as more a utility spell that requires additional resources to do anything cool with it. Good for breaking a line, or letting someone else get away.

Dave said:
If anyone wishes to make a serious proposal, remember to place the plusses and minusses to the new rule in the proposal. You can then forwardf it to an ARC member (we all know who, right?). Please be aware that, even if it gets through ARC, each rule requires a 75% yes vote from ownership to pass.
Understood, but I'd rather vet it a bit before I submit anything formal.

Mend
I summon a force to mend your armor.

Immediately repair a damaged suit of armor as if it had been repaired by a blacksmith. If the armor was breached it is repaired at 2 less armor points as normal.

Ooohhh, I got a semi thinking about that. Although I'd make it Eldritch force, just cause.

Masticon said:
Mend

Immediately repair a damaged suit of armor as if it had been repaired by a blacksmith. If the armor was breached it is repaired at 2 less armor points as normal.

Nice, though not first level. I really like it, though! And yes, Eldritch.

Dave said:
Masticon said:
Mend

I suggested a lesser version of that, but it was rejected already, FYI.

Polare Lissenstine said:
Dave said:
Masticon said:
Mend

I suggested a lesser version of that, but it was rejected already, FYI.

One of the NERO International chapters had a version of the spell, but it was 3rd level.

Considering it was an instant reset armor usable in combat (ie, backpacking), it seemed fairly appropriate.

Davio

Masticon said:
Mend

Can you imagine a fighter with a 30 suit of arcane and a 3 times a day mend?

That would be sick...

Maybe if it couldn't be made into an MI.

Paul

Seems a bit strong since the Second level Shield gives you only 6 points (Granted this can increase your 'Maximum' but still) so a level one spell that, while limited to combat, can effectively emulate/have a greater affect then an existing higher level spell.

Along that line I think a 'Repair Breach' spell could fit the bill wonderfully.

"With Eldritch force I seal your breach"

This spell must be cast before repairing a set of armor and requires the caster to have the Blacksmithing skill. The caster must then complete the 60 seconds repair count without being interrupted or lose the effect. If completed successfully the repaired armor does not suffer the loss of 2 armor points.

Alavatar said:
Or the first level only repaired 10 points at a time. Or something.

How about just making shatter reversible?

'I summon a force to make your <armor/weapon/thing> whole!'

Padraig said:
Alavatar said:
Or the first level only repaired 10 points at a time. Or something.

'I summon a force to make your <armor/weapon/thing> whole!'
Nah.. The repair one if not to bad for smithing, only acts as a breach repair and needs the smithing skill. However reversing shatter not only is a logistics nightmare (since we dont keep the tags but rip them) but also starts counting as a lot more levels of smithing.

jpariury said:
Padraig said:
Because Shatter isn't 1st level.

Sure, but Dispel (8) takes down Prison (9), so I don't think that's necessesarily the best of reasons for it not to work.

Back