Adventurers of Horn's End

Arkade

Scholar
Have any of you made plans for the upcoming Market Days? I have healing spells and potion if any is needed, just send me a pigon. Who is leader of the healer's guild? I was once told before but have since forgoton.

May the dead stay dead in your path
Arkade Prince

I thought it were Lady Gwen...

But as for my plans for this market day, after recovering from the austere pleasure of finally meeting you, probably helping out the King with the artifact thing he needs found.

ah not gunna help da king.

He's got guards, and archers and rune cannons... why's he need us.

Jehan

Not sho happy ta be displaced wolf scavenger and former noble of valdanis.

You were a noble Jehan?

The King say he will help me with what I need done. The rescue of mi familia. He say that he will perhaps send naval officers who may carve the path to the Blood Isles. Or something to that effect last I spoke with him.

Who am I to not want to help him at all, ah?

all help ya marcena... ya still need ma help.

I want shed another drop a blood fur da king, queen, or dere peoples.

Jehan

Marce - You, of course, know I'll be there to liberate your family. But, I have to ask, Wyldweaver, why are you so hurt by what amounts to standard operating procedure?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

AllianceCHI said:
all help ya marcena... ya still need ma help.

I want shed another drop a blood fur da king, queen, or dere peoples.

Jehan

Jehan,

I'm with you. I won't help either. It's the Crosspick Dwarves thing all over again.

I am curious as to your reactions. I do realize that you are peoples are largely ruled by your emotions, and I do not hold them against you. Being a Stone Elf, I am not certain as to your, for lack of a better term, negative, or even hostile reactions to the opening of the new Outpost. Your reaction indicates that you believe you were thrown out of your homes, but I know this to not be the case. None of these buildings were the permanent residence of any person, the buildings were shelter for the transient population otherwise known by the title, Adventurer. To my knowledge, no rulers of Horn's End, past or present, required payment for staying in these buildings. To provide a continuing tradition, your ruling faction has provided for free living quarters just north of the city. So, as I have said, this makes me curious as to your reactions and would like it if anyone could enlighten me as to meaning behind them. I also see a reference to a Crosspick Dwarf incident, might I also inquire about them, or it, as well?

Ember Silvershae, Guild Elder of the Order of the White Unicorn

As an informative side note: A Malladonian Rune Cannon is an elf who is a pure Celestial caster who specializes in pure destuctive offensive spells such as Magic Storm, Lighting Bolt/Storm and the like.

byersmatthew said:
I am curious as to your reactions. I do realize that you are peoples are largely ruled by your emotions, and I do not hold them against you. Being a Stone Elf, I am not certain as to your, for lack of a better term, negative, or even hostile reactions to the opening of the new Outpost. Your reaction indicates that you believe you were thrown out of your homes, but I know this to not be the case. None of these buildings were the permanent residence of any person, the buildings were shelter for the transient population otherwise known by the title, Adventurer. To my knowledge, no rulers of Horn's End, past or present, required payment for staying in these buildings. To provide a continuing tradition, your ruling faction has provided for free living quarters just north of the city. So, as I have said, this makes me curious as to your reactions and would like it if anyone could enlighten me as to meaning behind them. I also see a reference to a Crosspick Dwarf incident, might I also inquire about them, or it, as well?

As an informative side note: A Malladonian Rune Cannon is an elf who is a pure Celestial caster who specializes in pure destuctive offensive spells such as Magic Storm, Lighting Bolt/Storm and the like.

The Crosspick Dwarves came in and forced my people out of their homes, and forced us to move to a new land. This is similar - people are now forcing the adventurers, who have sacrificed for the king, to a new land. I sympathize with those that called Horn's End home.

This does enlighten me, for this I thank you Stoneskull. However, the adventurers are not being "moved" as happened in the incident with the Dwarves. The outpost in question is meerly an extension of Horn's End.

Let me explain in this way, throughout history when a new town is established it may have the fortune to become prosperous. Horn's End is such a town as it is now going through an expansion phase. When the town first arrived here and a law/protective force was established people started building homes and businesses around Horn's End for mutual protection and commerce. As their numbers grew, the need for better defenses arose. A wall is built, people start to build homes and businesses just outside the wall, to be closer to the defenses of the city. As the city prospers further, this cycle will likely continue. This "outpost" is less than a mile from the Horn's End city gate. The city planners probably chose its location as a good vantage point from which to be a first line of defense to protect the city from possible seige. I do believe that the "free" lodgeings are to inspire the adventurering community to continue what it has been doing in the past.

Lemme preface dis by sayin dat 2 days ago ah was commited ta helping da king and dying fur him if need be. Having been dismissed from his friendship and sworn service by his own choosing ah have no oath of service ta him or his "ruling faction".

fur a stone elf ya shure lack sum manners... ya a noble of Valdanis by chance? dis yar business? ya sure ya got all the information here? da ya know dat this very action goes against an oath made before me bah da "ruling faction"? Da ya also know this is da second time theyve done this? Probably not... ah tink dat deres a very valid human axium for what should do.

Mind Yar Business!

Wanna resolve this? advise someone who's words don't drip with racist venom and pre conceived notions of "adventurers" ta eider talk ta de king and queen about comming out here and talking ta de peoples dey falsly called friends, sum of which they took as knights, advisors, and sum of which they owe their lives to and adress em like dat before they ask em ta do em a favor of riskin dere lives fur some toys da King doesn't even need. eider dat or take offense and challenge me and ya and I kin tangle, I promise you won't enjoy dealing with me, or send some guards ta arrest me and execute me fur sedition.

eider ways... da peoples round here will know true colors.

Ya could also apologize for da drip of sarcasm and plain knowledge I see above and da open dismissal of adventurers... ah dare ya ta cal me out!

Dramtin,

am upset dat we continue ta lose ground.... am upset dat we gotta talk ta this drip instead of a representative wit half a wit.... and am enraged cuz 2 people da took an oath from me and shook mah hand and called me friend and swore not ta behave like dis.... especially after maladonia, especially after calador.... naw enraged isn't da word.... defeated is better. 1/2 a me jest wants da die cuz it ain't a battle ah kin hope ta win... but not one ah kin let go off.

Jehan

Tell me dat someone did this behind da backs of da King and Queen! Tell me dat people ah beleived in till yesterday haven't forsaken da very ting which made em great rulers and an honor to serve! Tell me da dream hasn't ended.

"ah not gunna help da king.

He's got guards, and archers and rune cannons... why's he need us.

Jehan"

Because like any kingdom the King's men can not be everywhere at once. Adventurers are needed to take care of situations that a standing army can't. If this were not the case, what need would there be for adventurers?

"The Crosspick Dwarves came in and forced my people out of their homes, and forced us to move to a new land. This is similar - people are now forcing the adventurers, who have sacrificed for the king, to a new land. I sympathize with those that called Horn's End home."

No one has forced me to move to a new land. Horn's End is still the place I call home, but as an adventurer I travel where I am needed and I stay in many places. Yes! I have sacrificed for the King and in return he allowed me to stay in one of HIS buildings, free of payment or tax, when I am in town. He is continuing to let me and my guild use one of HIS buildings, again free of payment, when we are in town. It makes no difference to me that it is a different building than the one I have been using. I actually like that it is outside the wall as now I have less distance to travel when hunting the things that go bump in the night, or day as the case may be. Tell me you would prefer to be inside the wall with tons of gaurds etc... around you and nothing to hunt or kill, and I say you are no longer an adventurer.

We are not "losing ground" or "being dismissed". We have been put into a better position to do the job we chose to do with our lives. If this is no longer the case for anyone, then maybe it is time to buy a house, settle down, and find a more stable job. Live inside the wall and leave the adventuring to those who can still handle it.

I am not calling anyone out or questioning anyone's honor, but I take offense at the way the King and Queen are being talked about. They have done nothing but their best to protect the people of this land and establish stability. I am proud to call them my monarchs and will do anything to serve their cause. My loyalty and my word are not so fickle that I would denounce it so easily as I have seen others do.

Now, I ask each person who feels they were wronged by the Kingdom of Valdanis by this latest turn of events to come forth and show me the deed to the home you were kicked out of. Show me where anything that truly belonged to you was taken away. If you have proof I will plead your case myself, but otherwise you should rethink your anger and your assumptions. Then you must decide if you are truly worthy to serve such great people.

Celeste
A townsperson who felt she new her peers better!

Celeste,

a bittasweet goodbye ta a place we called home would a been hard ta do, even with a King da calm our sadness and reasure us and a Queen ta stiffen our back with da fire of agless wisdon and a spare tissue for tears shed... with a king da cared only ta send a scribe ta announce it... and a queen it hurts more dan dis adventurer kin stand. We have no deeds, we have no rights... ah git dat it wuz mah fault fur thinking da King meant it when he called me a friend... when he said he cared bout all us. Fur becoming attached ta a place ah had no right ta because it was promised ta us ta de memories, good and bad, fur da tavern a lost souls, fur da guild houses, and da trees who gave us shade as we fought...I am ta blame.

It stikes me odd dat someone dats been told ta me ta be so smart would answer pain with a swat and invitations ta give up. Ya kin stay, ya kin even fight till yar da last one standin... if ya do yar a strong lady dan I and ah commend ya fur it. But, when da void comes fur you and fur horn's en ya might wish ya lent a hand ta keeping all adventurers on dere feet and fighting ta delay dat very day.

Ah won't retire from adventurin... ahll jest move on in search of a land where ah kin start anew and draw mah lesson from Horns End as thus... Don't trust "nobility" and never accept a kings or queens hand in friendship.

Jehan

*a voice sounding distraught and almost pleading*

Je'an? You ahr steel comingk to 'orn's End dhis market day, nye? I would I saw you again, Je'an...

AllianceCHI said:
Celeste,

a bittasweet goodbye ta a place we called home would a been hard ta do, even with a King da calm our sadness and reasure us and a Queen ta stiffen our back with da fire of agless wisdon and a spare tissue for tears shed... with a king da cared only ta send a scribe ta announce it... and a queen it hurts more dan dis adventurer kin stand. We have no deeds, we have no rights... ah git dat it wuz mah fault fur thinking da King meant it when he called me a friend... when he said he cared bout all us. Fur becoming attached ta a place ah had no right ta because it was promised ta us ta de memories, good and bad, fur da tavern a lost souls, fur da guild houses, and da trees who gave us shade as we fought...I am ta blame.

It stikes me odd dat someone dats been told ta me ta be so smart would answer pain with a swat and invitations ta give up. Ya kin stay, ya kin even fight till yar da last one standin... if ya do yar a strong lady dan I and ah commend ya fur it. But, when da void comes fur you and fur horn's en ya might wish ya lent a hand ta keeping all adventurers on dere feet and fighting ta delay dat very day.

Ah won't retire from adventurin... ahll jest move on in search of a land where ah kin start anew and draw mah lesson from Horns End as thus... Don't trust "nobility" and never accept a kings or queens hand in friendship.

Jehan

Jehan,

I am sorry that I did not see the sorrow behind your anger :( . Perhaps it is because I do not form attachements to places that I am confused by your words :? . I truly do not understand the emotions you have concerning this matter. You talk as though you have just lost an old family home, but in reality the city planners just moved the "free" adventurers quarters to another building. If something had happened to the old buildings the result would be the same. The Celestial and Healer's guilds are still there, just a short walk away. The Tavern of Lost Souls is still there also. And the trees you speak of are creating shade for the people who can now enjoy it rather than being afraid of an attack from some creature prowling around.

This should be a happy occasion as through our hard work and risked lives Horn's End has finally grown from a pioneer town to a city. The people are safer now and they will prosper. Is this not what we have worked for and yet you mourn it as though a friend had just died. You also blame the King and Queen for something they had nothing to do with. They are responsible for an entire kingdom, do you really think they take the time to tell each and every town and village how to run their day to day operations? People are given jobs to do and trusted to do those jobs, just as you would hire someone to create something for you. Would you first ask if their tools were in good repair? or if they had all the materials to make what you requested? I think not. As is the way of things, you would negotiate a price and trust it to be done on time. You would then continue with the tasks you need to do. This is the way a kingdom is run. The King and Queen do their duties while trusting town officials to run their towns.

I say all this because I do not like the way you have been talking about King Daefell and his Queen. They do not deserve the treatment you have given their names. Have you requested council with them to voice your concerns? Have you requested council with anyone to discuss this? The problem is not that they can not be trusted but that you did not trust them enough to not assume the worst of them.

I hope there is still time for you to realize that the people of Horn's End and Valdanis still need you. That they are worthy of your protection and do not deserve your desertion.

If you must mourn a building, then do so, but please do not forget that the people are the most important thing. Without them a building is just a pile of sticks.

Celeste

A King and Queen you must respect. As my Father taught me thus. It is wrong to assume that a King or Queen should inform you personally , as you are an Adventurer, of the things that go on in their Kingdom. They did tell you what is going on through their way. As it should be. If you feel you must leave, then may I suggest that you leave on better terms than where you are leaving now.

Just a few thoughts.

-Anonilyn

Anonilyn said:
A King and Queen you must respect. As my Father taught me thus. It is wrong to assume that a King or Queen should inform you personally , as you are an Adventurer, of the things that go on in their Kingdom. They did tell you what is going on through their way. As it should be. If you feel you must leave, then may I suggest that you leave on better terms than where you are leaving now.

Just a few thoughts.

-Anonilyn

Jehan wasn't just an adventurer... He was also nobility.

A wise chief once told me, "Smart is the chief that feeds his warriors, smarter is the one that also keeps them close."

Apparently I have been gone far to long...

What has happened to our humble town?

~Ahlana Antaro~

Guildmistress Celeste - Were I to interpret the issue, I would say it appears to be one of respect, or lack thereof. Adventurers have always played a vital role in the protection of kings and their kingdoms. There is nigh a single province that hasn't been harbored, saved, and even retrieved due to the positive intervention of Adventurers. There are many nobles who owe their very rule to the specific actions of Adventurers. One could make the argument, Kingsdom are dremt by Kings, but built by adventurers and farmers.

That being said, adventurers are often given no compensation for their actions. They are charged with insultingly thin crimes, forced to pay burdensome taxes, it's demanded they contend with choking bureaucracy, and must proscribe to laws and obligations designed to intentionally hamstring them. Yet, adventurers continue apace. They rally to arms whenever the King calls them out to fight and then must watch as the lands they liberated or the goods they protected are diverted into noble coffers. Through all the turmoil, danger, and neglect, Adventurers continue to fight for their kingdgom and the king.

Most adventurers die young, most die at the hands of enemies they don't know by name and have never seen, most die unremembered by the kingdom for which they bleed. The army is not fit to fight necromancers, the army is not designed to root out bandit swarms, the army is not fit to expell invading elementals - that duty falls on the hapless shoulders of adventurers who, though neither nobleborn nor landed, are expected to act with the highest quality of character and make the most profound sacrifices.

All they ask, to be respected. That the nobility for which they die offers them the slimmest note of acknowledgement and thanks. This edict, this eviction at the hands of the king, denies adventurer's their most humble, but most prized reward, that of gratitude.

Guildmistress, the issue here is not that the adventurers are living in this building or that, but that they were thrown from here to there as though they had neither honour, integrity, nor spirit. The king is treating Horn's End adventurers as a set of dumb swords he can toss about as he wishes, instead of the Dragon's blessing which they represent.

As you say, most adventurers would gladly move locations and stage themselves in the heat of battle, that the king took his first line of defense of a set of fettered slaves speaks to his regard for these brave kindred. That their response has merely been disgreement and grumbling speaks to their self-restraint.

Of course, you're correct, it's the King's prerogative to treat his subjects as he wishes. However, it's also the adventurer's prerogative to not act when an ungrateful or discourteous kings belittles them.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Back