Advice and tips for a new player

masumi08

Hello everybody, let me introduce myself, my name is Nathan and have been interested in larping for probably around twoish, I'm a new player and I'm going to be attending the upcoming event at the end of this month. I want to make the best experience of it as possible and want to know what tips/advice you have from what you have learned and experienced (I'm going to PC if that makes any difference).

Also: With the event drawing nearer and nearer, I'm going need a boffer and as I do lack in skill to make one, I will need one made so if you want to help me out with that PM me.

Thanks in advance,
-Nathan

Hi Nathan!

My name is Norman. Here is a great post about experiences one of the long time players have had:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8063

General tip: bring warm clothing and bedding. Period. Even in Summer. Even if it is just a back up. We live in the PNW and it can get rainy and cold on you in minutes. I have seen many players have to leave a LARP because of cold/sickness.

Also, when on site, don't be afraid to talk to people. We are all friendly even if our characters are not. I'm pretty sure Holly mentions that in the post I copied above.

Welcome and I hope you have fun!

Hi Nathan!

Welcome to Alliance! This is a great game with a lot of friendly folks, so I believe you are choosing wisely for a good LARP experience. :)

That said, I highly recommend you check out a post that our General Manager wrote a while ago for new players. There is a lot of good information in it, including links to write-ups about creating your first character, writing your character's backstory, and more.

If you have questions about creating your first character you can send an e-mail to our New Player Rep, Ron Leota, at newplayer@alliance-seattle.com for advice or get in touch with our Logistics team at logistics@alliance-seattle.com.

I highly recommend you consider acquiring a copy of the rulebook. The PDF is free, so take a look through that if you haven't already. On page 84 is a section on making a boffer weapon. If someone hasn't already contacted you on making a weapon you can take a quick trip to a hardware store to grab the supplies you need to build a rudimentary weapon over the weekend (don't skimp on the open cell foam!).

Again, (echoing Norman's sentiments) welcome and we hope you have fun!

- Seth

Thank you both for your replys, I also have some questions that I still have but not about character creation or rules. I'm wondering how the sleeping arrangements work at the event just so I can come better prepared. Also Norman mentioned warm clothing, now with only 8 days to go I don't think I could get warm, in genre and affordable clothes with the time I have left, so do any of you have a good way to layer to keep warm? Lastly I'm was looking around the house for a good bag to carry things while in game but the one that I was going to use was to small to fit what I was going to use as a spell book :( , so if anyone has any good recommendations for a good bag or a small journal that would be much appreciated.

-Nathan
P.S. I also still need a boffer, I was PMed and sent a reply but still haven't heard back so that's still up for grabs.

a good way to go to stay warm is layers (this is advice for LARP or life). A good set or two of thermals can be had for around $20 or so at Bimart or any sporting good stores. I wear Nike Hyperwarm or UnderArmor ColdGear, which will put you back around $80-100 for a top & bottom set.

Socks: wool is preferred, many pairs are highly recommended. Change them at mid day and again when going to bed.

Bags: well, I can only recommend taking a look at your local resale shops on this short notice. Depending upon the book size, anything from a basic bag to a military 'bread bag'. If it is basically the size of a paperback, you can buy up a cheap boot at a resale shop, cut off at the ankle area, turn inside out and sew the bottom. Turn back around and cut some slits for (or sew) a belt loop.

Boffer: what you need? I have spares that I can lend out. I have supplies to make something.

Seconded on layers that you can fit underneath your garb.

As a note, you only need your spellbook with you at logistics (beginning and middle of the game) to memorize spells. You do not need to carry it around with you, if you'd rather, say, leave it under your pillow.

For layers i would say any sweats you may have. I usually wear sweats under my garb. They are light weight ones so i will wear other clothes underneath like shorts and t-shirts. And seconded for the socks, bag, boffers.

If you have access to Costco, they carry great wool socks. Have been using them for years. They sometimes carry thermals as well, for a reasonable price. You can probably check target as well for thermals and sweats. They sell hanes sweats for fairly cheap.

As for sleeping arrangements, there are plenty of heated cabins for you to sleep in, and many groups or organizations that will offer you a place to stay. I would just make a post in the in game section of the form saying that you are new/recently arrived and looking for a safe place to sleep. Hopefully someone will respond, if they don't don't worry, there are plenty of open beds to sleep in.

Just thought of another place you should check out if you have the time is a Military surplus store. They carry wool socks, thermals, and tons of bags and pouches that would work for you. If you live in the Seattle area there is one in the Industrial area, over by the Starbucks HQ building. Also Ebay and Amazon, may be a place to check too.

If you don't need something right this instant, I recommend staying away from surplus stores. While you can find some very specific stuff, the prices are usually pretty bad in comparison to getting something on Amazon or eBay.

Back