Advice for a Rookie

Ehvarion

Hail friends of the alliance. My name is William Johnson. I am planning on attending the December event and am wondering if anyone has some advice for a rookie Templar. Considering going as a PC and don't want to end up killed in the first hour if I can help it.

My character details
Name: Evharion
Race: Human
Class: Templar

Hey William,

First advice is don't get killed. :p Second is possibly waiting to be a templar. They tend to be in a sticky situation as they are difficult to get into either fighter skills or scholar skills. I recommend starting as one and then later, building into the other. Unless you are diehard want to start that way for story reasons. Then that's totes cool!

So I can take a fighter base class and develop that character into a templar? Just want to make sure because my character's history had him as an apprentice in an order of templars known as the Emerald Knights. If he can start out as a fighter and develop into a templar that would be perfect. Also what skills would you recommend for a starting fighter?

Hey there!

Feel free to reach out to the New Player representative for Alliance Oregon. he's pretty cool, and also a Rules Marshal.

Newplayer@allianceoregon.com

-Me, the New Player Rep for Alliance Seattle

I recommend talking to anyone that will stand still long enough for you to do so. Putting yourself out there means that other people will interact with you later. If you stick to the walls, people won't think about you when they're getting people together to go do something stupid. Second recommendation, if it seems stupid but fun, do it anyways. So the highbies are going to go off and fight vampires and nothing else is going on. It would be suicide to go do it. They're willing to have you along... do it! Figure out ways to help out, like pulling downed people to the back lines and healing them/buffing them. A shield will block most attacks, so a shield on a lowbie is almost as good as a shield on a highbie. Thirdly, organize new people around you into a fighting force, and then go look for trouble. Even if you don't know anything about the story of the day, you can go out and adventure for loot and glory, making friends that will last you quite a while in game!

To answer your question about changing from fighter to Templar, the answer is: Yes.

How does it work?

1) Buy skills as Class A.

2) When you want to change your class, calculate your current skills against the class you want to become.

3) As long as your current Build Point total can handle your new calculation, you can change legally. If you don't have enough build points to cover your new total, you can't change.

Example: John the Fighter buys four Weapon Profs and two Parries, then starts spending his build on spells as a fighter (real expensive). He calculates his build as though he was a Templar, but finds out that he's short 4 build points to cover everything. He waits a couple events until he's accumulated four more BP, then emails Logistics to make the change.

So as a fighter I've listed the skills one handed edged, read and write (developing into templar), blacksmith I, and shield. Is that a good start?

So I can take a fighter base class and develop that character into a templar? Just want to make sure because my character's history had him as an apprentice in an order of templars known as the Emerald Knights. If he can start out as a fighter and develop into a templar that would be perfect. Also what skills would you recommend for a starting fighter?

Yes, yes you can. Alliance is a fluid class system. You'll start as a fighter with some magic when you first buy scholar things. Keep buying scholarly things as a fighter, and you'll eventually become a templar. Keep doing that and you'll eventually become a scholar with fighter skills.

First starting as a fighter, buy shield and a weapon skill, usually one handed edged unless you're looking to do something exotic like a polearm fighter or two handed sword fighter. In which case just buy that skill (since you can't use a shield with those weapons). Next you'll want to build until you get about 4 weapon proficiencies, and whatever prepare to die skills tickle your fancy. Once you're there you can start buying scholarly items. Now you MIGHT want to get Read/Write and Read Magic as a Templar. Having the ability to cast 3rd level scrolls that are stuck to the back of your shield will give you that Templar feel without needing all the build put into it right away.

My personal progression recommendation: Shield -> Weapon Skill -> Blacksmith -> Read/Write -> Read Magic -> Critical Attacks -> Weapon Prof -> Weapon Prof -> Parry -> PTD (optional) -> Weapon Prof -> Weapon Prof -> Parry -> Spells.

So for a start up fighter I would want as my starting skills.
Shield
One handed edged (I have a Knight's Emerald sword coming from Calimacil)
Blacksmith
Read and Write.

I would then develop into building fighter proficiencies while I accumulate scholarly texts (read magic) to train myself as a Templar. Do I have that right?

So, if you take Read Magic you can read some scrolls from the back of your shield to get the Templar feel. Then accumulate fighter profs until you're comfortable with the damage you swing. Then, start learning actual spells until you're ready for formal levels (4 spells of each level up to 9th), then you can go formal, return to profs, or go for more spells, depending on how you feel at that point.

Are we allowed to post our character history? Thought it might be useful as I start to get to know my fellow adventures as a way for them to get to know me a little.

I'd recommend against it, simply because it's way more fun to learn about a character IG than it is on the forums like that. :)

If you get your background and all that approved, however, you should totally feel free to send an IG dream message introducing your character. :)

"dream messages" is the in-game explanation for most internet chatter - PMs, in-game forums, etc. Evan's suggestion was to post something on the in-game board. Treating it like a "dream" helps explain why some people won't recognize you on first glance when you show up to an event, after having done a bunch of in-game internet-based roleplay.

If our character history gets rejected are we able to modify that same history so that it fits, or do we have to start from scratch? Just playing the waiting game right now and just want to be prepared.

My second question is regarding sleep IG. How does a PC protect themselves from getting murdered in their sleep when they so choose to rest?

Wards, wizard locks, traps, circles of power, water glyphs, or my favorite... Recognizing that if plot wants something to go into your cabin, they have the tools to do so. Thus, you sleep with weapon nearby, and trust you and your bunkmates will murder any intruders that wander in.

Sounds like me being a graveyard shift security guard in real life will come in handy if people need a bodyguard while they rest through the night.

Last edited:
Honestly, for the most part you're going to be fine to sleep, most of the time. If you really want protection, just look for the Mystic Wood Folk with the FABULOUS red horns. I'd be more than willing to assist if you contact/post about needing some security/let me know in game.

Ok thanks. This will be my first event come December, so basically just looking to meet people and find allies for future events without getting myself killed for one reason or another once I get my character approved. Just got to wait for word from the plot committee.

You guys are falling down on the job! Not one of you mentioned the large number of socks needed for larping!

Back