Alchemy packets with pockets!

markusdark

Knight
So I was trying to think of an easy way to attach a tag to a packet to represent it as a gas poison. Some of the issues I was thinking of was:

-Ease of attachment/removal of tag from packet
-Keeping tag in good condition until packet is taken by PC's
-Ease of telling 'loot' alchemy packet from other packets
-Worst case scenario if packet with attached tag is thrown at someone.

So, modifying the design of a 'bullet packet' from another game, I give to you the Alchemy Pocket Packet Mark 1:

GasPacketwithPocketSample.JPG

The visual instructions are below. A few things to note:

-The entire packet can be made out of orange fabric. I used yellow because I didn't have any orange fabric and I used black for the pocket so that you could see it more clearly. Basically a pocket packet can be used as a regular alchemy packet.
-I cut the piece to make the pocket with it's top edge being the edge of the fabric. That makes an already 'dressed' edge so you don't have to worry about fraying.
-I didn't sew the bottom of the pocket to the packet. The friction is enough to keep the tag in there and could help with extraction if necessary, not to mention making sure dirt doesn't build up in the pocket. However, there would be nothing stopping someone from running a stitch along the fold line when sewing the sides to make it into a 'true' pocket. You may want to make the pocket 1.5" wide though to account for the extra stitching.
-It's easier to fill than a potion phys rep (at least the ones I've used and/or seen).
-The shape is different from that of normal packets so can be more readily identified either as loot or empty to return to plot to refill with more loot.
-The actual gas is hidden via the pocket so accidental, metagamed information won't be revealed (just like rit scrolls).
-With the tag in there, the danger of the tag hurting someone if accidentally thrown are next to nothing. However this design was not intended to make it so that packet and tag could be thrown together - just an overall safety issue.

GasPacketwithPocket.JPG

Since packets are supposed to fit into a 35mm film canister (1 3/16" x 2"), how much seed would you put in one of these to ensure it meets that criteria while still being full enough to fly well?

-Luke

The one pictured fits in a 35mm can (at least the birdseed part does, the tails do stick out a bit). It was designed with that in mind. Just fill it up to as high as a 35mm can and you're good to go. And they fly very well.

As for making thousands, I can make a 100 count 'sheet' in under an hour - and sure that anyone skilled with a sewing machine could as well. The 'sheet' would still need to be cut out, turned inside out and filled and closed but that's basically what you have to do with the standard ones.

Packetsheet.JPG

So I thought I'd back up my claim about 100 packets an hour and I hate to say it but I was bragging there. To test myself, I took 2 yards of 44" wide fabric and made 95 pocket packets in 75 minutes. To be fair though, 15 minutes of that was getting out and cutting the fabric, setting up the sewing machine and taping out the dimensions, ironing the fabric and so on.

A few notes about what I learned while doing it:

-You get three 12" wide strips, two 1.25" 'edge' strips for the pockets and one 5" extra strip. I tore the extra strip in half and then folded it over in half and ironed it to create a pocket strip with the folded edge taking the place of the machine edge of the other two strips. And you can use the remaining 2.5" strip for page head bands :D
-If you iron the 12" wide strips in half, it makes it much easier to place the pocket strips and keep them in position.
-If the pocket strip begins to 'stray' from the fold during sewing, pick up the entire strip lengthwise (as the previous post shows the strip) and flick it like you would when you try to flick out a rolled up pant leg. This will force the pocket strip back down into the ironed edge of the fold.
-Tape out 3" from the needle towards you and 2" from the needle to its side. This way, you can use the tape as a template and just move the fabric to the areas to begin sewing.
-If you don't have a cool machine that can cut the thread with a push of the button, don't bother cutting the thread at all - that all will be done when someone cuts out the packets and the threads will be inside the packet so it doesn't matter.

Of course, I now have 95 pocket packets that I have no use for. So first person who pm's me that is willing to pay $45 for them (that includes shipping) I'll be happy to mail them off. Remember that it is for the uncut but sewn fabric - not completed packets. I'd offer them up for gobbies but my current status doesn't make that a viable option for me. ;)

Edit: have an offer now

Back