Alchemy rule question

I am considering picking up two levels of alchemy. As a fighter this is expensive, six points per level. This would provide me with 10 crafting points in alchemy. If I am at a location with a workshop (that I have spent 10 gold to purchase) then I would have 20 crafting points and the ability to make Serious Vorpal Coatings at 20 copper for first batch.

How many arrows/bolts can I coat with a coating?

Correct Matt, you'd have 20 crafting points a batch for 20copper. Then you can double batch, and triple batch with 20 points each time as well (+40copper, then +60 copper respectively)

With 1 coating, you can coat 1 arrow or bolt per coating (with 1 rank of alchemy). Granted, to coat a weapon or arrow, you must have Alchemy 1 rank or higher, otherwise you can't coat it. Pg 112. However if you have an Alchemy lab, you can coat 2 arrows instead of 1 per coating, at no additional production cost.

Remember though, as a Fighter, to get Alchemy you need Herbal Lore as well, which is 6 build.

Pre-Regs for applying weapon coatings:
- Read and Write 6
- Herbal Lore 6
- Alchemyx1 6
total 18 build to coat a weapon as a fighter.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

24 Build, 2 ranks of alchemy (though I'd personally go for 4, as at 3 you can use gasses and save a little more money) to make serious vorpal in a lab.

Not to mention you'll need an alchemy book with the recipes in them.

I'm insulted that you are trying to replace the bunny with this line of inquiry. (shakes fist)

I can never replace the Bunny, but I have had some requests to spruce up the Black Wolf Brewery products.

To be fair, at his current death rate, you probably really should be making plans for a replacement ^.^

Generally, production skills are a piss poor investment, even if you are the correct class for them. I can't find the specific thread I made about this, but basically, even if you're an artisan, it's more efficient to take ranks of Craftsman other and pay a 66% markup (which the markup is generally only 20-40% markup), then it is to take the skill yourself.

The only reasons to take the skill yourself are.
1. At rank 1, applying coatings yourself (not difficult to do with a little planning and an alchemist accomplice)
2. At rank 3, throwing gases (mostly only good for the rare times you're fighting humanoids, which generally makes it illegal)
3. At rank 4 (dominate) and rank 5 (amnesia) procuring illegal items. However, since these are illegal to USE and not to own, it's quite easy to get these and I've seen quite an abundance in regular adventurer's hands.

I'd hire Gabriel, Jehyu, myself (though Davion usually makes 100% batch of cure light elixirs... where did everybody think they were coming from all the time?), or if you don't like any of those options, you could "import" some from a different chapter using this forum board.

Roleplay with your character, your character card should be optimized to do whatever you want to be able to do on the battlefield and NOTHING else. Otherwise you'll be one of the 100s of people in Alliance wanting to dish out tons of gold for a spirit reforge.

Gabriel and Foss as well as yourself, Stranger.

It's funny, because thinking on it, I haven't actually purchased from Davion before. Gabriel and Foss are the only ones I've purchased from.

Show up, or else my wallet will start getting heavy, and I won't have anything to purchase but magic items that are up for bid. :D

Correct me if I am wrong here, it I seem to remember something about not being able to make things higher then your ranks in it. If that's not the case, maybe it should be...

I wish they would give you the first batch free. It would make the point sink quite a bit easier to do, and it would allow starting characters the ability to actually make their stuff... Oh well.

You're able to make things above your skill level with a workshop.

It does sound strange though.

Icey bought from Davion many, many times through Cho Ko Nu as the middleman. :thumbsup:

Also, instead of sinking build for a couple levels, you can instead use 50 Goblin Stamps per logistics period to get a couple alchemical items.

Gorka bought almost all the Alchemy I'd ever sell her. There were times she'd pay me for double/triple batches of Cure Light Wounds (I'd typically sell for about 1silver per cure light for a double batch, which is about a 2.5 copper profit ><). I'm not sure what I'll do now that she's not buying from me. Also, Chokonu was good at selling (until everybody got angry at him, wtf is wrong with out town and merchants?)

You should contact me Icey.

Again, Matt, I'd recommend you avoid Alchemy. Do the blackwolves have any pure rogues that could pick it up?

:disgust:

Call me crazy, but I think that building your character the way you want to play him/her is more important than making him/her the most "streamlined" or "efficient" possible...

I'm with Alexander, besides you are all missing what Matt actually wants. He wants to apply weapon coatings in the middle of battle if needed.

We didn't miss that Draco, if you look at Matt's posting again, he mentioned arrows/bolts, which you can easily do before battle (and is what we recommended). Nobody mentions swords in the middle of battle.

I am going to call you crazy Alexander. Point to me where Gandian has blown 30+ build on non-streamlined things.

Davion said:
We didn't miss that Draco, if you look at Matt's posting again, he mentioned arrows/bolts, which you can easily do before battle (and is what we recommended). Nobody mentions swords in the middle of battle.

I am going to call you crazy Alexander. Point to me where Gandian has blown 30+ build on non-streamlined things.

Play nice young man or you'll bring the wrath of the board moderators down upon us. Recognizing that it's not necessary to streamline builds does not require you to do so. I myself have 3 toons, One streamlined, one extremely situationly built, and one who could triple his build and not gain any effectiveness (aside from a master bonus or two). They are all fun to play for different reasons.

Coating 2 bolts at a time during logistics at a workshop is the obviously most effective solution (because 2 is more than one) But there is nothing wrong with a player deciding he wants his character to be able to create a few everyday for himself and not depend on the whims of Rabbitkin that in all likelihood are planning to jump the town one day. People can't make events at times and it costs less.

Overall it is an extremely build intensive option to buy alchemy on a fighter, I generally would not recommend doing so unless it was for character development reasons.

Jon's inherited Gorka's box of healing, and has gold that he's looking to sink into some potions as well. We should find some time to chat in game.

Back