Alliance 2.0 Players Guide: Beta 2

Auric

Administrator
Alliance Owner
The Beta 2 version of the Players Guide is now available for download. This is being made available for another round of review as player feedback has been very helpful finding areas that need to be corrected. Please keep in mind the content and tone of the Players Guide remains up to the original author.

Download the Beta 2 APG 2.0 book

A few notes so far:

"Start a school. Every player needs other players to teach them skills they need. Maybe you can train people in real skills as well as game skills. It is one thing to teach someone the in-game skill Create Trap but it is another thing entirely to teach them out-of-game how to pick locks and disarm traps. " P.30 - May need updated to reflect that Teacher isn't an in-game skill anymore.

"Lockpicks: Obviously, right? It is always surprising how many thieves bring nothing and somehow expect the locks to open themselves. The best thing is to have a key ring with a series of lockpicks. A good basic one can be made by yourself, and you may also be able to find some from certain disreputable people in-game."
P.41 - Could use a mention to check with your chapter as lockpicks are OOG illegal in certain locales.

"You should not accept skills or effects that are not in this book without proper authorization. For instance, if a monster hits you with the call “Two Disintegrate!” you have the right to refuse to accept that call since there is no “disintegrate” in this book."
P.62 - Carriers are not in this book, needs corrected since section was moved from ARB.

"The player is then considered to be wearing that armor and get all of its benefits except for waylay protection. "
P.73 - Waylay no longer exists.

"Basher: A player who cares only about fighting and not role-playing. "
"Hack and Slash: Either a player who cares nothing about roleplaying and is only interested in fighting; or a module adventure that only provides fighting encounters."
"Stick Jockey: A player who only cares about fighting. "
P.93-94, also appears in Index - Why?

"Turtling: Crouching down and hiding behind a shield so that no legal targets are available for your opponent to hit. This is not allowed. Do not do this."
P.95 - No longer a rule.

View attachment 2379
"You should not accept skills or effects that are not in this book without proper authorization. For instance, if a monster hits you with the call “Two Disintegrate!” you have the right to refuse to accept that call since there is no “disintegrate” in this book."
P.62 - Carriers are not in this book, needs corrected since section was moved from ARB.

It may also be worth mentioning here the most common form of “proper authorization” for non-standard calls; that is, LCO calls, and explaining the relevant rules for how these should be presented.

I dislike the passage for another reason: the wording is anti-role-play. If someone tells my fortune in the tavern, I’m not going to say “do you have authorization for this effect?” I’m going to try to LARP with it and try to include something about that fortune somehow (unless its “you’re going to die in the next hour”, in which case I’d laugh it off bit still act easily spooked for the next hour). If some elves do a song and dance in a circle of power that they say brings happiness to all creatures of particular races who witness it, I’d rollplay that similarly. Same for an orc or ogre quasi-ritual giving bloodlust through drumming.

Even if you don’t like these examples, I’m sure you can think of some of your own. My point is to not tell new players that “if it’s not in the rules, it doesn’t matter”. Can we reword the passage somehow?

“Characters with enough points can spend them on starting Magic Items directly for their Ritual Point cost. This can be found on the Alliance website, where you can find a full list of Rituals with their Ritual Point costs.” (Page 78)

Where is this list?

Also, in the examples on page 79, it states the cost of at least one ritual. That is dangerous, since presumably the reason for putting it on the website (instead of the books) is so that it can change.

Similar vein to the above comment. The text for the new starting wealth rules don't include any reference to limits on purchases. I'm not sure if the list that is intended for new characters, and the list intended for Logistics teams will be in separate locations. For example, Catalyst Rituals, such as Permanency, Obfuscate, etc. are necessary for Logistics teams to have a cost associated, however if they are listed in the same place the text seems to imply that Catalyst rituals could be purchased with starting wealth. If that is NOT the intent, it might be worth a line or two stating that any ritual requiring a catalyst, or the catalyst version of catalyst optional rituals cannot be purchased with starting wealth. As it reads now, it seems that catalyst rituals could be purchased with starting wealth as far as RAW is concerned.

"Characters with enough points can spend them on starting Magic Items directly for their Ritual Point cost. This can be found on the Alliance website (www.AllianceLARP.com), where you can find a full list of Rituals with their Ritual Point costs. These items will be created in your local chapter (though they do not use up any of the chapter's Treasure Policy). The chapter may give you a temporary Magic Item tag for your first event that can be turned in for a permanent one at the end of the event. "

We getting close to a final version of the 2.0 Player's Guide, which includes important mechanics that aren't in the ARB?

Back