Alliance Appropriate Hats

RiddickDale

Knight
New Hampshire Staff
Greetings,

I am in need of your aid my friends.

I have avoided it long enough. But, I need to find a hat for my primary character (An elf fighter).

It has nothing to do with RP or mechanics. I just don't want suburn every event anymore after sweating off my sunblock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hats that will keep the sun off my forehead and neck that won't completely break period?

Stephen

Riddick... in a Tricorn! ;)

Race change to a dark elf!

I am a proud bald man, and the best sunscreen I have found is covering my whole head with black makeup. I've yet to sunburn! :D

RiddickDale said:
Moved.

Thank you! Those are some great resources!

Didn't you work with the guy that owns crown & feather?

SkollWolfrun said:
for 'in period' you are sort of stuck with a cowl to keep the sun off

I would have to disagree with this somewhat wholeheartedly. There are a huge number of hat fashions that work wonderfully for function and keeping period. A brimmed, floppy beret was popular for a long time, as well as the archer hat which is commonly thought of as the "Robin Hood" hat. Pointed "witch or wizard hats" like I said before, would count as period in my opinion. There was what looked like a taller version of a fedora in fashion for a time. Very wide brimmed hats were popular throughout history, as it IS uncomfortable to work outside without protection from the sun!

Fynwei said:
SkollWolfrun said:
for 'in period' you are sort of stuck with a cowl to keep the sun off

I would have to disagree with this somewhat wholeheartedly. There are a huge number of hat fashions that work wonderfully for function and keeping period. A brimmed, floppy beret was popular for a long time, as well as the archer hat which is commonly thought of as the "Robin Hood" hat. Pointed "witch or wizard hats" like I said before, would count as period in my opinion. There was what looked like a taller version of a fedora in fashion for a time. Very wide brimmed hats were popular throughout history, as it IS uncomfortable to work outside without protection from the sun!

beret & the archers hats don't really cover enough for what the person is seeking. sun protection.

I have not been able to find many wide brim hats commercially available anywhere that are not straw, and most of those are a woman's or cowboy style.

Personally, I am for whatever fits your character design as long as it fits.

Just tie a scarf/bandanna around your head or get a leather helmet

Just got this one for my Ogre and a Dark Elf I'll be making
263530_235190799843199_100000568425016_901082_7616663_n.jpg

This is the only hat Riddick would ever be caught dead in:

riddick_hat.png

:funny:

Aside from the goggles/shaved head look, natch. :emo:

After rereading your message, if all you are looking for is off of your neck and your forehead (not caring about the nose) then I would suggest something like my wild elf used to wear. Here's the only (bad) photo I have of him, and the hat was made to look really piecemeal but you can get the idea with the simple cap and a drape around the back half of it. You can find a light enough fabric and you'd barely know you're wearing it.

If you wanted to, you could make the drape in layers of slightly padded slats, ala a Samurai Helmet, and also give yourself some extra armor points and protection from low level waylays.

image003.jpg

A easy sun-off hat is to make a bandana-style cap, then attach a curtain-like piece of material at the back. It covers your head (and your ears, if you pull it down) and the fabric at the back will cover just about all of your neck.

Indeed, that's why instead of a bandanna for Nikolai, I use an eight foot scarf for a head-wrap. The tails cover the back of my neck nicely.

Thank you all for your help!

I have officially managed to find myself a cloak sunburn item!

Funny story... I mentioned my problem to my father and complained about how I was having trouble finding something. He asked me to hold on and went downstairs to his study... and came back with a well made straw hat.

Needless to say... you will find answers to your problems in some of the LEAST expected places.

It's nto the right colors, but he informed me that it is the kind of straw hat that can be stained. I'll post pictures once I get it all stained to match my garb.

Keep posting links and discussion though... I can't be the only person who has had this problem!

U Rock!

Back