Allies and Meatshields...

p.richard

Scholar
I am deep inside the continent of Calliphestus, looking for this so called "Horde" of monsters. I want to know what they are thinking; why they have massed; what brings them out from beneath the rocks they call home. I want to know what we face, especially if there are Orcs within their ranks. Any tactician will tell you that if you intimately know the battle ahead then you have already won half the fight.

This Orc likes to win. As I scout as much area as I can, let me know here what you may wish me to find or if you are also out and about scouting. I like the idea of sharing my knowledge to benefit my clan and allies. And after that fight with the Echoes and the Phoenix... I would call you all my clan and/or allies.

Thousand Bones of the Bleeding Eye
Harkonian Slayer
Phoenix Foe
The Lich Butcher
Executioner of the Heart Drinker
Defiler of Echoes

I will not be able to travel to this new land for several months. I have matters to attend within my council. However, I will return to fight alongside you and others. I look forward to the day. Any information you could relay to me would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck.
-Maealas.

Bones is grateful he learned about this whole dreaming thing. It is proving to be tactically sound.

I dont know if I recall who you are... I have met so many people and travellers over the past few months. But as long as you have no bad vibes my way we will get along great. I will relay any and all information I learn here for all friends and allies to see.

I have heard rumors of a massive horde. This is to my liking. A horde means battle and slaughter. But from the sounds of it... they are not fighting for the good of all clans. Not like the bleeding eye... my people. So I hunt for information on them. If anyone of you have knowledge that I can use to track them and infiltrate their masses let me know. Knowing your enemy is key to a successful con... um... confrontation. Ugh. Big words are hard for me.

It is my intention to play scout. Keep me informed and I will keep you informed as well. That is how allies work.

Until we meet again and shed the blood of our enemies!

Bones

As if my dreams aren't occupied enough...
Monsters are the same as men, save that they have not had the fortune of societal success that we enjoy, and are even more frequently spat upon by "noble" adventurers.
If they are rising together now, it means one thing...
They are driven by hunger... for actual sustenance or for wealth or a day in the light such as we have, it does not matter, they are famished and driven to seek their craving.

How do you deal with hungry men?

Clearly we need Polare to help us Translate with this new menace so that we may dispense proper and fair justice.

Sir Tantarus

... Heh... Save some action for me when I come around fellas...

Sheakhan said:
And are even more frequently spat upon by "noble" adventurers.

I do not know you, and I do not appreciate the intimation of your words.

I like being as up front and honest as possible with people, so there can be no misunderstandings. So let me say this:

If you have an issue with how us noble adventurers treat you or others, how about you stop being a cowardly passive-aggressive child and actually come talk to myself or whatever other noble adventurers that you or others feel "wronged" by. I guarantee you that we go out of our way to stay out of your business and life unless required by duty or law. I am always open to sit down and talk about the needs of those whom I serve. But if no one speaks to me of their troubles, I cannot help, which - believe it or not - is my purpose.

And believe me, if I was "spitting" on you or anyone else, you would know.

In service,

Sir Avaran

Some monsters are simply that: monsters. I can appreciate your effort to not attempt to classify them as such without encountering them personally, however, I find it unusual that you would not extend that same courtesy to those known as "heroes" who travel from land to land, doing the best they can to save world from destruction, war, undead hordes, slavers, elemental destruction, Fey, etc. Go meet the monsters, maybe you'll find that they aren't truly as evil as people seem to think. Maybe they'll just kill you. Maybe both.

As for noble adventurers "spitting" upon anyone, please bear in mind that many of the "noble" adventurers are some of the first to come forth and protect those who need it. They've lost friends and family putting their lives on the line to help when it is needed. I can't quite tell if you're making a quip about Nobility, or the adventuring community at large not being "noble", but either way, I would caution speaking in such a manner about a group of people that you do not know, and a group of people as diverse and different as you seem to be generalizing.

It would be worth sharing a drink with the adventurers, fighting with them, or playing some cards with them before placing any judgment. Perhaps once all the adventurers have arrived in whatever new land we'll call home, that would be a good time to start.

~Kasuni

Thousand Bones,

It would be great to learn what all types of races the horde contains, their numbers, and any magical or physical weaknesses that they might posses. Thank you for your undertaking the scouting mission.

~Kasuni

As expected Sir Avaran, Kasuni, you do not enjoy being so basely categorized. I believe one of my points has been made. One should take care not to judge a being at a glance, whether it be in calling them something so callous as "monster" or lofting them up as "hero" makes no difference. I find it curious that you both found yourselves more concerned with my apparent judging of your group than my addressing the initial trouble... If we find what this "horde" is hungry for, we answer all of our questions. The why, the what, and perhaps the how as well.

Solutions and rationale should always be the first priority, in battle or otherwise.

Sheakhan said:
As expected Sir Avaran, Kasuni, you do not enjoy being so basely categorized. I believe one of my points has been made.

The suggestion, then, is that we engage in the types of things to which you are apparently trying to bring light, which offends me and my honor. The only point you have succeeded in making is that you are a fool, speaking from a place of ignorance and prejudice as YOU are the one who seems to think that all adventurers and nobles are by our nature prejudicial and dishonest. I am merely trying to educate you as to the errors of your opinions. If you wish to bring your prejudices about nobility and adventurers to light in this dreaming, that is your concern not mine.

I am not so blind, though, to think that there are not some rotten apples in the bunch (such as yourself, it seems), but for myself, as much as I am able, I try to judge and deal with people, "monsters", and other races on an individual basis. I have seen enough bloodshed and loss, experienced enough grief and heartache that I do not seek more, and try to find solutions that do not involve such unpleasant things. But I tell you this: I will bring about such things if it is warranted.

One should take care not to judge a being at a glance, whether it be in calling them something so callous as "monster" or lofting them up as "hero" makes no difference.

Clearly advice you yourself need to take.

As someone who has obviously not dedicated their life to anyone other than himself, I would not expect you to understand this, so I will speak as plainly as I can for your benefit:

There are rules and codes that Nobility live by, and protecting one's honor - no matter the foe or source - is one of those things. If you challenge my honor, or any noble's honor, be prepared for a response. It may be words, it may be a simple punishment, it may be something else entirely. But make no mistake, there will be a response. If you wish to continue to challenge my honor as a Knight and a noble, you are free to do so, but don't be surprised when I respond.

Be offensive, and you will find yourself being offended.
Be generous to all, and you will find people being generous with you.
Be patient, and others will be patient with you.

Most importantly of all:
Be respectful and in turn, you will have respect.

I find it curious that you both found yourselves more concerned with my apparent judging of your group than my addressing the initial trouble....

It seems to me that you are trying to bring a "problem" forward for discussion where there is no "problem" that currently exists. If it is demonstrated that these creatures are capable of living peacefully and in harmony with others, then I am sure they will be left to do so (individual exceptions may occur, but that is true of everywhere).

My suggestion would be for you (and anyone else interested) to seek out those in proper authority and see what they would like to see happen.

If you wish to discuss this further, I am happy to do so in person. I enjoy lively debate. But do not question my honor again, or that of Kasuni - who worked at her peril from others and adventurers (and resurrected for her efforts) to treat the Skree with respect that most didn't think they deserved. It will end poorly for you.

In Service,
-Sir Avaran

Perhaps I was unclear, or perhaps you misunderstood my intent. I merely meant to illustrate by example that few if any creatures enjoy being superficially judged. My "offense" was for the sake of this intent, and nothing more. I had not meant to actually suggest such disrespectful things were fact, which seems to have gone unnoticed.
In short, I was wrong in assuming you understood my point at all, and had no intention of questioning your honor, apologies.

More to the meat of the matter; hostile or not, this group of creatures has from my understanding come from hiding or otherwise made themselves known when they previously were not to our scouts. If they are new to us, our priority should be understanding their motivations and goals as the motivations of a being give the most comprehensive picture of the being as a whole. The term "horde" was used, which seems to imply that the group can be described as war-ready and potentially hazardous and as such should be approached diplomatically and cautiously, if at all.

It is rare that I feel the need to make a declaration of my intentions, but it is clear I must.

You. New adventurer. I know you not, but I suspect you were not a dreamer. You did not see these hordes of creatures in your mind, unable to tear yourself away from a vision of horror. A vision within which these monsters, and yes, monsters they are, tore apart the bodies of not merely men who defended their home, but literally every living thing.

Women.

Children.

Babies.

Merciless does not begin to describe what their actions were.

They broke hope, they sowed chaos and destruction to sate their lust for death.

Their "motivations" are meaningless.

If I find myself in conflict with them, I will gladly send them to their end. Creatures that live to destroy the weak deserve only the final moments of their existences.

If that is true, than I'd be happy to align myself to that way of thinking. However their motivations and goals are still paramount to understanding them well enough to effectively dispatch whatever brand of revenge or justice is deemed appropriate. I would think the scouts and dreamers I've been hearing so much about may be best equipped to glean this information.

Da, this hord was brought to our attention by dreams. I myself am one of the dreamers.

In this dream, the hord was at the city walls, war banners flying. The dream continues to show war raged. The hord over ran the city.

My understanding is that this all from times far passed. That this hord has been on the war path since.

As to why they have evaded detection until now? We were in a valley, where all outside interaction with the area surrounding cut off. We had no way to know the hord was there.

Hope this helps a bit.

Loganzi
Dreamer

The horde is not to be messed with. I am lucky. I have green skin and can enter their camps as long as I play the part of a "monster"... These orcs are different though. They are more savage; cannibals, horrific in their ways. I haven't seen their camp or force yet, but the destruction they leave in their wake is... well it is a site to be seen! I smell the blood of the fallen all around me. My blood boils and the hair on the back of my neck and arms stick up as if anticipating the coming storm; the battle in which they march towards. It is as if the souls and spirits of the dead are screaming out in agony! Longing to be released from our world. No. These are monsters. These are creatures of pure evil. And they will be stopped by my blades. I will rally the tribes of this continent, if I must, to band together and fight this threat.

The Suzerain of my people warned me of something like this. Their words keep ringing in my ears... even now when I sit here in this bloodied field. "The Black Tide is coming, Thousand Bones. For it is the precursor to madness. It is the herald of our people's destruction. It will bring forth an enemy of legend, a champion of oblivion, the father of our demise. Beware the Black Tide, Thousand Bones."

Prophecy has brought us to this point but it is our free wills that dictate the paths we take. It is the balancing force to Prophecy. I know what was once, and what may yet be, but ultimately what we do here is up to us. This land needs us; and no Horde or Legion of Undead or Black Tide can stop us. Not if we chose to stand and fight for the peoples that once were and may yet be.

I will echo here, what is being said across Fortannis at this very moment and has been so for as long as these planes have existed; so that we might remember a guiding ethos - if you will, for the evils we can see upon the horizon.

Fortannis speaks in many languages, but only one voice.

It speaks in the language of hope.
It speaks in the language of trust.
It speaks in the language of strength, and the language of compassion.
It is the language of the heart and the language of the spirit.

But always it is the same voice.

It is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us.
And the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born.
It is the small, still voice that says We are One.
No matter the blood, no matter the skin, No matter the world, no matter the plane, We are One.
No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, No matter the loss, no matter the fear, We are One.

Here, gathered together in common cause We agree to recognize this singular truth and these universal rules:
Necromancy is an Evil that perverts the spirit and pollutes the Earth and must be combated at all time, on all fronts.
Slavery is an Evil that corrupts the mind and destroys the Spirit and must be combated at all times, on all fronts.
In the combat of these Evils we must not lose our compassion. We must keep in our hearts the idea that redemption is not only possible, but necessary.
That we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us, And each voice lost diminishes us.
Knowing this, those who refuse rehabilitation are to be put to the sword, their voices silenced forever.
Take no pleasure in the necessity of violence for these ideals.

We are the voice of the Planes, the spirit of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future.

We are One.

-Prolon L'ar

His words are eloquent and universal. Yes there is Darkness ahead of us, just as there was behind us.

While this is true and we combat evils, let us not lose our compassion. As the voices above have echoed, redemption is not only possible but necessary.
That being said, those who refuse rehabilitation will be met with all due force, the pain and destruction they create brought to an end.
Violence is a necessity as much as redemption and at times it is the only viable choice that remains.
I saw the visions and felt the dreams and I was anguished to see Hope's light flicker and die to an ember in these lands. But Hope is not gone.
We bring A New Hope with us. A single spark of courage can ignite the fires of Hope in Calliphestus. Let us show them our Courage.

So while they may well be monsters, I will not hold them to the previous generation's sins. They will have their chance to change their ways and grow to be something more. And if they meet an open hand with a mailed fist, we will wield the avenging sword in the other.

- Squire Shin

I am close, my friends. I can smell the camps all around me. Their fires burn the eyes; the smell of their rotting meat and their body waste fills my nose. The ground has been churned to mud. I have taken up shelter in the copse of a tree. Heh, seems talking to the Verdant Lords is extremely useful for survival. Go figure. Wait... I hear something! The sound of bare feet gently slapping against the ground... Scouts! I am unsure if they have spotted me. I must wake and confront them. I will try to communicate with you later. I have work to do...

Well; that is not a good thing to awaken to. I must say, I do appreciate the dangers you have put yourself in for our sake, Thousand Bones of the Bleeding Eye. I have not had the pleasure of meeting you, but provided you survived whatever awoke you last night, let me buy you a drink if we meet anytime soon. And should you have any more information to relay, I would appreciate it. Stay as safe as you can, friend!

truly grateful for your sacrifices,
~Basil Saesonne

Flames. I see flames.

A pack of goblins, vicious... attacking a helpless caravan... I can't think, I can only feel. Hard to dream... I cleaved into their numbers... they wanted the flesh of women... soft and tender... blood everywhere... I tried to save them... already dead... helpless... I feel for their loss. It fueled my anger and my strength. Cleaved into one; its body a tangled mess of bone and sinew; its blood smeared on my skin... sticky... I still feel it...

But magic, it is hard to fight against. I am not as nimble as I once was. A shaman, fire tattoos cover his body, wanted me... said I was powerful... that he can use me??? I tried to fight them, I tried to kill them off to avenge the fallen pink skins... I killed a lot of his pitiful warriors, but he was too strong for Bones to fight alone. I should have just sat their and watched where the goblins came from, but Bones let his anger get the best of him.

I feel like I am being dragged someplace. I feel their grubby little hands on my legs... wait... they are tying me up. My legs are being bound and I am being lifted into the air. I can feel my arms dangling above my head; they have me upside down. I need to wake now. I do not think I will be joining you at this new town anytime soon... I think they are trying to make a sacrifice of me.

If my spirit is strong enough, I will come through the circle.

And if I do come through the circle, bring your drums of war. The stories you tell my spirit should be one of battle and ferocity; of blood and of war. Nothing soft. Nothing pretty. This I demand!

This horde is nothing more than over populated monsters that need to be exterminated... I will be their end!

(OOG: The rest of this message is in a dream like, waking stupor... everything seems hazy when you glance at this dream as if Bones is not quite awake, but not quite asleep either)

The world is hard to see. You can tell that Bones has been recently healed of unfathomable wounds. The world is upside down and the pain in Bones' ankles indicated that he is indeed bound at the feet and is being hung like cattle ready for the butchers knife. In his stupor, Bones tries to break free but is unable. Bones' hears a voice somewhat familiar to him. The features on Bones' face contort to that of a deep seeded scowl; a glare of pure hatred. And then the little beast speaks...

“Power is hard to find. I happy you come. Now, give me your power!”

Then pain. Bones lets out a scream of rage that echoes in the dreaming. He watches as the blade enters his thigh, severing the femoral artery. He watches as the creatures coax a stream of blood which then sprays across the assembled monsters.

All Bones can think, all he can manager before his life is snuffed out... "I hope this helps our cause, my allies and meat shields... May we meet on the field of battle soon..." As the world goes dark, you can hear the twisted incant of the gathered monsters... then darkness.

Back