Ambassadorial Collaboration

Cami Zotz

Hello adventurers!
A few weeks ago, it occurred to me to that, when we leave Bastion, it is entirely possible that we'll be encountering civilizations previously unknown to us. A group of armed adventurers suddenly appearing in their lands could be concerning to them to say the least. I've been spending the past few weeks working on how we will introduce ourselves in a way that will go over smoothly for all involved, and I would like to ask your assistance in fine-tuning this introduction.

I've reached out to some of the political figures and officials throughout the kingdom, and there have been varying inputs on a base framework. I hope that you, my fellow adventurers, can help to reach a consensus. Here's what I believe we'll need to start:

1. We need a simple message of a few core concepts that we can ensure ALL adventurers know, so that no matter who makes the first contact with any potential civilizations, the first impression will be roughly the same.

2. We'll need those same core concepts expanded upon and drafted into a comprehensive missive that can be delivered in a more official capacity to the correct people within the civilization.

I have a few thoughts so far on what those concepts should be, and some potential obstacles that we'll need to agree on solutions to. I am not a practiced politician, if you foresee an issue that I've missed (or caused), please let me know.

1. We need to lead with the message that we are not there as conquerors. I want to be specific in our wording- saying that we are peaceful may force us back on our word if something unexpected happens. It's important to leave our options open, but it will be the truth that we aren't there to conquer.

2. We need to outline why adventurers are coming to their lands on behalf of Bastion, and what resources we need to procure for the kingdom. This will require a brief explanation of Bastion's history. HOWEVER, this leads us to what I believe to be our biggest hurdle:

3. Do we tell the inhabitants of this world about the cycle of the First and the Last that dictates the timeline of the world? On the one hand, I believe it's possible that, if they didn't know this, it could send them into a panic, and lead them to make rash decisions that could be dangerous to us and themselves. On the other hand, leaving that detail out will leave gaps in our story about Bastion, and lead to uncomfortable questions. Do we trust that everyone will be able to keep that particular cat in the bag? There are a lot of adventurers, and there for a lot of possibilities for it to be let slip on accident, and then we'll be in the compromising position of having lied to the inhabitants of this world.

4. We may find it beneficial to ask the civilization to host our expedition, either by allowing us to live within their community, or by allowing us land on which to create a temporary settlement. I believe they will be more likely to acquiesce to this request if they are informed of the following:

5. If the nimbus around Bastion fails, it will likely come crashing into the new world, and no one knows exactly where that will be. It is in the best interest of everyone in that world to help us maintain our magicks.

I will be creating a draft for the official version of this missive, which I am scheduled to present to King Jonas Dawnkeeper IV and his Royal Council next month. I will also be taking responsibility for ensuring that every member of our expedition knows the core concepts we decide upon, so that everyone is prepared to introduce the group to any civilization we meet.

I want this to be a collaborative effort, and for everyone to have a voice in how we present ourselves to potential allies. I look forward to hearing your input. Please, let me know about any thoughts you might have on this matter.

Thank you,
Thorn Foxfire

This is a great idea Thorn,

Should we make a welcome flag or banner saying "We come in Peace, don't kill us."?
Maybe we should make pamphlets, or something like that.?
I'm pretty sure everyone that is helping or gonna help, wants to help do this peacefully. But I may be wrong....

Buuuut, we are a scouting party for an invading force. Aren't we?
So as much as we want to be all "we want to live together in harmony", aren't we actually kinda "we will take this land for Bastion"?.?
So are we gonna lie into a false sense of "safety", or just be like "this is Bastion's now"

Also we have the Hammer to help build a place to sleep in once we arrive. So if we arrive in the middle of nowhere, we will be ok.

Speaking of middle of nowhere. If when we cast the ritual, do we know where we are gonna land? I don't really wanna just splash down into a lake or into a dark cave, although I think Bow and Shen would like that, or into like a bear den with giant 10 feet tall bear-wolf-spiders.... Or like 50 feet in the air and fall to my death, that would not be good....

Just thinking out load.
Coral

I like your gumption, Thorn! But, Coral do have a point. Bastion been under wraps for a good long time - reaching out and spreading our wings be a goodly part of dis whole expedition. I don't t'ink we be coming with pitchfork and sword under a red flag o'dominion. But, da King would be mighty silly iffen he don't want to grow da Kingdom - and, da Dawnkeeper be no bird's fool.

We can be polite about da whole affair - "Yes, please; t'ank you for the land" - but it not be like we just be visitin'. We be settin' down roots and growing new nests.

As for Lord Creator, Balance, and Destroyer - well, dey gonna find out sooner or later, right? Me t'inks it be better dey know d'eir fate den be surprised when da end come. Tellin' dem about da end of all t'ings be da neighborly t'ing to do, don't ya t'ink?

Also, I do not t'ink I have met you before, do you work for da King? Do he make you da one in charge?

Ratite Hudsonsia Zenorum da one and only
Livery and Valet to House Aviary

Thank you both for your input. It sounds like clarifying our intentions is going to be an important part of the process in making this missive.
I believe that we will be launching our expedition as a temporary measure, so that we can procure the resources and knowledge necessary to uphold the nimbus that keeps Bastion safe. If King Dawnkeeper intends to later use the expedition as a foothold to expand the kingdom, such information is above my station.
At any rate, I believe it would be wise to go in with the attitude and intention of being there as a temporary settlement, that will last as long as it takes to restore our nimbus (which could be a few years, I'm not certain what all that effort will entail.) If, after the nimbus is safe, we are converted to an invasion force, it would be prudent to first have thr trust of some of the local governments, or risk being overwhelmed by the world as a whole. This would be best accomplished by being transparent in our efforts to make the settlememt temporary.

In response to your question, Hudsonsia, I do serve the King, but only in the capacity that all citizens under his rule do so. I am not under his employ. He took an interest in this endeavor and I am to ensure its success.
I look forward to meeting you in a more official capacity. I do intend to make an appearance with the other adventurers this weekend, during which time I'll be gathering as much varying insight on this topic as I can, in order to come to a consensus.

Thank you,
Thorn Foxfire

Ok, so maybe we should make pamphlets?

The cover should read "Have you heard the good news about The Creator, The Balance, and The Destroyer?"
All bright colors and flowers and trees.
The inside should read "Help us, or you soon will!"
And a picture of the world cracked open and magma pouring everywhere.
The back could read, "From the adventurers of Bastion, brought to you by King Dawnkeeper"
And we put a picture of the king.

It gets the point across without going into to much detail. Thoughts?

Coral

I've talked to a few adventurers earlier today and have some new suggestions, and some new opinions.
1. Consider changing the vocabulary when requesting space for a settlement to requesting space for an embassy.
2. Have a gift prepared to bring to early diplomatic talks

We are also officially no longer unanimous on whether or not to tell the inhabitants about the cycle of creation and destruction. We also have one vote on waiting to divulge that information, until we have a better grasp on what the inhabitants know, and how they are likely to react to such jarring news (if indeed they don't already know about it.)
I am going to try to become more comfortable with the fact that we may not be able to resolve this in a way that pleases everyone, since we DO have differing opinions. But at the very least, I want everyone to be heard.

Those who have not offered their input yet are both invited and encouraged to do so.

Thank you!
Thorn Foxfire

Oh, Thorn - me friends, lovers, and employers call me Hudson. You seem like a right nice chap, so feel free ta be whichever one dose you like.

I like dis "emissary" talk: it do sound so official. You been doin' yer homework on dis and I do be liking dat. King Dawnseeker were right clever in lending you his proxy to pursue dese aims, or at least he should be doin' so 'cuz you seem to be on da right path. Don't you worry about gettin' everyone on board to da idea right away - dere always be one or two fluttery-feathers what can never settle deir minds. Dey will be comin' along, by and by.

As for talking 'bout da Lords of Existence, me t'inks we don't need to figure dat out first t'ing. Dere be plenty of places what have dere own t'inking about da ways of da world. Met'inks we focus on setting up da embassy and establish trade relations 'tween Bastion, New Zenith and dese new folks first - and den we can get into all da long-winded discussions about the cycles of da world. What you t'ink?

When you chatted up da Dawnseeker's minister of trade, what kind of t'ings he be needin' in dis new land?

Livery and Valet to House Aviary of New Zenith

So um. Questions.

1. So I don't understand Embassy.. Is that like a fancy word for inn? or tavern? or bathhouse?
Would this be a safe place? and who will be allowed to go there?

2. Gift, singular, or Gifts, Plural? Also what type of gift.
Like, oh your nice people, here is some flowers or a house plant, which I still don't understand why people keep those, plants aren't pets,
Or, you build a house to live in with your family, here is a book or a painting,
Or, hey you got married, here is some dishes or a rug,
Or, hey, wanna live here and sorry if we make a mess, here are some chickens and goats.
Or, Hi, we mean to stay, here is a sword in your face type of "gift"?

I'm pretty good at finding odd stuff so let me know if you need me to look for anything.

Coral

Hudson,
Thank you for the reassurance. I'm sure everyone who doesn't get exactly what they'd hoped for will eventually learn to exist with the choices that are made.
As for what we plan to bring to the new land, so far we've worked on preparing to stockpile food and create a safe place for shelter. Speaking with the minister of trade sounds like a prudent idea. I'm afraid I have my hands full at the moment, but if you happen to pursue that, I would be eager to hear the results.

Coral,
Firstly, I realize I neglected to respond to your message before delivering my update- apologies. I think a pamphlet is an excellent idea for standardizing our message and plan to incorporate that idea moving forward.
As for what an embassy is, ideally it would be all those thing to us (although I wouldn't get your hopes up for a fancy bath house). Just some place to function legally and practically as Bastion soil.
Regarding a gift, I will request something from the King when I submit my proposal, and see what he is willing to offer these hypothetical inhabitants. We'll start with one gift, and if we find ourselves needing multiple for some unforeseen reason, we will go from there. I'm confident in this expedition's ability to improvise.

I am not one for politics, but if you need my smithing skills or hunting prowess I will aid.

Nkosi

N'kosi! It be right nice to hear your furry voice. I still owe you dat ale. Politics be simple: figure out what da oder guys wants and trade 'em for somet'in dat you want. Da only reason Kings do it better den da rest of us is dey have more t'ings people want. Dats why Thorn is working on all dese gifts, we needs must find somet'in dese folks want more den da land under our embassy. You come wit'me when I chats up da Minister o'Trade; mayhap we gets you somet'in nice to bring home to da mate.

Livery and Valet to House Aviary of New Zenith

I have an initial first draft of the pamphlet we could distribute to adventurers to standardize our message. Does anyone have any notes on changes in phrasing, or things I might have missed?
Please note that I have left the reason for Bastion leaving in the first place intentionally vague. I believe there's wisdom in waiting to see what the inhabitants know about the cycle of the First and Last before making any major decisions.

Attachments

• Missive Draft.odt
    19.1 KB · Views: 6
I have an initial first draft of the pamphlet we could distribute to adventurers to standardize our message. Does anyone have any notes on changes in phrasing, or things I might have missed?
Please note that I have left the reason for Bastion leaving in the first place intentionally vague. I believe there's wisdom in waiting to see what the inhabitants know about the cycle of the First and Last before making any major decisions.
There is a very important question we are failing to ask. Bastion had pulled itself apart for safety. Meaning that the peoples in the lands it separated from did not have that safety. Could the folks of bastion be the villains in their tales? The ones who ran and left them to suffer so they might have peace. If there is bad blood this may backfire horribly.

There is a very important question we are failing to ask. Bastion had pulled itself apart for safety. Meaning that the peoples in the lands it separated from did not have that safety. Could the folks of bastion be the villains in their tales? The ones who ran and left them to suffer so they might have peace. If there is bad blood this may backfire horribly.
That could be a problem, but there are a couple things I think might soften the edge a little. Firstly, if the Last destroyed that world 8000 years ago (and we've no reason to believe they didn't), anyone who might have felt slighted by not being included in Bastion's escape would have been destroyed along with it. We won't even be dealing with the descendants of the people of the world Bastion left. In fact, without the destruction of that world, the inhabitants of the new version of the world could not exist. So it's very likely they won't have a reason to distrust us for leaving the old world behind.
If they do, I suggest shifting the blame towards the decision makers who sequestered Bastion all those years ago. Since they've all perished generations ago, we can lay the blame on them and hopefully that will help to ease some of the tensions.

But, as long as we keep the dangers Bastion was fleeing vague, they may not even find fault with us to begin with. They could assume we were fleeing hostile nations which no longer exist, or any number of things.

Late to this party, but I like and agree with nearly all shared thus far.

Much like any other time we may mist walk to travel to another shard/sphere - we will be as strange to them as they will be to us. But this includes formal, social & civil functions, matters of state, or as trivial as table manners or subjects of cultural taboo.

Magistrates are often called upon for diplomacy and I've had the pleasure of reading of a variety of successful & not attempts.

Ornamental peace ties to weapons. Provides a courtesy & illusion that carried hold a semblance of binding. Thus brandishing them is a dedicated conscious choice. While also showcases respect to weapons, culture, combat but first & foremost a willingness to use your mind and words first.

Violent anecdotes, & stories. As adventurers we collect no small amount of these. Only volunteer simular to that which someone shares with you. Example: Kazzik was a great powerful & evil dragon who deserved merciless slaughter. This sentence is one that encompasses years of effort by hundreds to abridges thousands of words in a very long story. In a land where unknown to you a dragon is their monarch or otherwise leader or protector - such a story could be confessing to one of their highest crimes. All in all we will know the names & faces of the entire expedition - if you don't know the individual and have the thought "I don't know if this will be understood the way I mean it" it is a prime opertinity to explore context among two cultures as to tell a story, you express the context of its origin & people to frame how differences may exist but they also will share theirs and typically among differences you Also find common ground. Which will allow you to refocus any divide created by what you share instead of don't.

Expedition are self sacrifice explorers. We collect hopefully all we need & set off among the possibility we may never return home. We are educated among our ways of life, skilled, well supplied, thirst for knowledge & experience. We are not refugees, per say - but we can use this academic & emotional construct to support that we aren't conquerors, just explorers capable of defending ourself.

Magic. Every place, particularly the varied shards/spheres have their own quirk within magic. The "Fortanis universal Constants" of flame, lightning, ice, stone, chaos, & life are excellent Pillars to learn about local customs & expectations. Energies, extrapolation, planes, & erstwhile fantastical things can scare & intimidate, as equal as they can inspire hope that such stories are "normal" for your magic no matter how unlikely that isn't the case. Their magic will also be different - fall back on the basics which we know all lands in Fortanis are the same conceptually, yet differ in personal experience, prefrence, & culture. Never underestimate that a simple and improbable and insane stacked odds can make one sound inspiring, buy also willing to consider the unthinkable while invoke a sense of terror as a result.

Tradeable Skills and goods. Self Marketing is important on an individual, city or country level. We are explorers & adventurers and we all have marketable skills, and bring something to such expedition. No matter how small or great, never forget that you can and someone else can't. Never focus on the idea someone else can also do what you do. These don't need to even be things your so talented or educated that you make money for your skills - only that you could. The same muscles you use to cut down a foe - can cut lumber. The reflexes and keen eye of an Archer are the same skills used by scouts, hunters and spotters. Spells can reset bones, water livestock, cure disease, burn away brush. Any magic you've mastered is more than someone who has zero. Any amount you have more than zero is a marketable skill to someone who does have zero. This is equally true for Alchemy.

We eventually are going to build... a lot. No classic profession will be considered an abundance or excess. Gone will be the day of having "to many" of anything. These professions will change the course of the expedition, and your ability to take on Apprentices & teach your skills - even mhaven't.

With trade goods, bring more than you could ever hope to need. You having something someone else doesn't have can be the difference of anything benign to horrible.

I think I've rambled enough - I thank you if you made it this far, and I'm willing to help anyone who may have questions or concerns with what I've put here or the lists and lists of other things I havent.

Late to this party, but I like and agree with nearly all shared thus far.

Much like any other time we may mist walk to travel to another shard/sphere - we will be as strange to them as they will be to us. But this includes formal, social & civil functions, matters of state, or as trivial as table manners or subjects of cultural taboo.

Magistrates are often called upon for diplomacy and I've had the pleasure of reading of a variety of successful & not attempts.

Ornamental peace ties to weapons. Provides a courtesy & illusion that carried hold a semblance of binding. Thus brandishing them is a dedicated conscious choice. While also showcases respect to weapons, culture, combat but first & foremost a willingness to use your mind and words first.

Violent anecdotes, & stories. As adventurers we collect no small amount of these. Only volunteer simular to that which someone shares with you. Example: Kazzik was a great powerful & evil dragon who deserved merciless slaughter. This sentence is one that encompasses years of effort by hundreds to abridges thousands of words in a very long story. In a land where unknown to you a dragon is their monarch or otherwise leader or protector - such a story could be confessing to one of their highest crimes. All in all we will know the names & faces of the entire expedition - if you don't know the individual and have the thought "I don't know if this will be understood the way I mean it" it is a prime opertinity to explore context among two cultures as to tell a story, you express the context of its origin & people to frame how differences may exist but they also will share theirs and typically among differences you Also find common ground. Which will allow you to refocus any divide created by what you share instead of don't.

Expedition are self sacrifice explorers. We collect hopefully all we need & set off among the possibility we may never return home. We are educated among our ways of life, skilled, well supplied, thirst for knowledge & experience. We are not refugees, per say - but we can use this academic & emotional construct to support that we aren't conquerors, just explorers capable of defending ourself.

Magic. Every place, particularly the varied shards/spheres have their own quirk within magic. The "Fortanis universal Constants" of flame, lightning, ice, stone, chaos, & life are excellent Pillars to learn about local customs & expectations. Energies, extrapolation, planes, & erstwhile fantastical things can scare & intimidate, as equal as they can inspire hope that such stories are "normal" for your magic no matter how unlikely that isn't the case. Their magic will also be different - fall back on the basics which we know all lands in Fortanis are the same conceptually, yet differ in personal experience, prefrence, & culture. Never underestimate that a simple and improbable and insane stacked odds can make one sound inspiring, buy also willing to consider the unthinkable while invoke a sense of terror as a result.

Tradeable Skills and goods. Self Marketing is important on an individual, city or country level. We are explorers & adventurers and we all have marketable skills, and bring something to such expedition. No matter how small or great, never forget that you can and someone else can't. Never focus on the idea someone else can also do what you do. These don't need to even be things your so talented or educated that you make money for your skills - only that you could. The same muscles you use to cut down a foe - can cut lumber. The reflexes and keen eye of an Archer are the same skills used by scouts, hunters and spotters. Spells can reset bones, water livestock, cure disease, burn away brush. Any magic you've mastered is more than someone who has zero. Any amount you have more than zero is a marketable skill to someone who does have zero. This is equally true for Alchemy.

We eventually are going to build... a lot. No classic profession will be considered an abundance or excess. Gone will be the day of having "to many" of anything. These professions will change the course of the expedition, and your ability to take on Apprentices & teach your skills - even mhaven't.

With trade goods, bring more than you could ever hope to need. You having something someone else doesn't have can be the difference of anything benign to horrible.

I think I've rambled enough - I thank you if you made it this far, and I'm willing to help anyone who may have questions or concerns with what I've put here or the lists and lists of other things I havent.
Thanks so much, I appreciate all your wisdom and will keep it in mind moving forward. Hope to see you when we head out for this new world, Shen.
-Thorn Foxfire

Also, it occurs to me now- Has anyone asked how long we have until the nimbus surrounding Bastion fails? We should have a rough timeline ready, both for ourselves and to communicate to whatever hosts we may find on the other side.
Someone help me remember to ask High Arcanist Illkari about that next market, please?
Thanks,
-Thorn Foxfire

Back