An observation about leaving site and an opportunity to grow as a community...

Klandaghi

Hi All,

I tend to be long winded, TL : DR at the bottom.

For those that don't know me, I play Radulfr. For starters, I saw a lot of folks getting upset today about trying to leave and being held up by people not coming to sign off on their cabin. This really rubbed me the wrong way for a lot of reasons and I'd like to up the floor for everyone to have a discussion about it. Alliance is a game that I love. I love getting out of my every day life and getting to have a vacation from the stress of who I am as someone else. I think a lot of you can agree with me on this. I've always tried to foster an attitude of by helping everyone get out of there sooner, we all have a better time at the end of it all. There are the people that stay as late as needed to help and work hard to make that happen. That's highly appreciated. But I feel like there is a mentality of "I paid to be here so I don't have to help clean past my own location." We all use the public locations and staged areas that have been set up for us by people that care and put time and effort in to make those places really look great to help with immersion. My issue is that I feel like folks think that at that point that's what they have paid for and don't care how late anyone else gets out of there.

It seems like Cleaning Tavern has gotten better, but there are always more things to do. I've been yelled at to not do things to help clean up because of the situation with my back, I've worked to ask and find ways that I can be helpful still to try to help get out faster. If there were not so few people working on the Commonly shared areas and the NPC areas, we might all be able to get off site at a reasonable hour. Other games address this by having assigned cleaning that keeps people there till that is signed off and it is much more than just your sleep area. Jesse has been incredibly gracious on this. On top of this due to the state that cabins were left, the deposit he has to put down was increased after how we left it. Jesse didn't pass that cost on to us. If we truly appreciate NPCs, Jesse, Plot, and all the people that help come together to make this game happen as well as the campsites that allow us to hold the game in the first place, the lease we can do is work together to help make sure it is all cleaned and that everyone is able to get out at a reasonable hour.

We all use the space I don't think that claiming you cleaned your sleeping area so you've done your cleaning is really doing your fair share. It feels more like doing the bare minimum in my book. I appreciate what Plot, the NPCs, and Jesse have done with this chapter and while it has had its ups and downs, it is still a fantastic game and in the interested of helping them not burn out on fighting all weekend and then shouldering cleaning the whole site, I try to help where I can. If more of us did that, I bet that people would be freed up sooner to be able to check off on cabins. There were so many people standing around pissed that their cabin wasn't be signed off on while NPCs and Plot were working hard to try to get everything cleaned up so we could be off site on time.

I wanted to make that observation known. I'd like to welcome constructive conversation about that in this post. I think there is an issue where we as players are not doing our share to try to help everyone leave in a timely manner, and I'd like that to be something that we step up to change as a culture together.

TL : DR
1. I noticed a lot of people upset about not getting signed out in a timely manner and even standing around getting upset.

2. While this was happening, Plot, NPCs, and a few players were trying to help get everything packed and planned for having to leave this site to be ready for Sky High Next Month

3. Our Security Deposit to use the site was raised due to the state that cabins were left and Jesse did not pass that cost on to us.

4. I think that as a culture and community of gamers, we can step up to show our appreciation to Plot, NPCs, and Jesse with more than just a hand clap, but helping to ensure that everyone gets off site at a reasonable hour.

5. The areas that are getting cleaned but those groups are communal areas staged lovingly for us. The people that set it up also tear it down and I could imagine them getting burned out without help at the rate we've been going.

6. I'd like to welcome discussion around these things to try to figure out a better way that we as a community can help everyone leave in a timely manner before we have to be off site.

7. While I do have back issues I have worked with Jesse and crew to figure out things that I can help with. Presently I'm driving loads of equipment to be stored as needed.

8. Please feel free to respond with your comments on the situation and view points. I see things in a very specific way and would like to see other's view points on this topic/situation.

Thank you for your future comments and replies,
Keith Gold
A.K.A. Radulfr Torgard

In terms of what IS working, I wish to offer my personal thanks to 3 of our NPCs. Josh Alexander, Quentin Toetz, and Brian Lambert saw that our Plot Team were elsewhere, cleaning up encounter sites. They jumped over to finish cleaning the Plot cabin. That was of such relief to me personally when I rounded back that way. Thank you so much for that favor, Josh, Quentin, Brian; I owe you each one!

Keith, thank you for starting this discussion.

Trace

Thanks for that Keith.

And thanks to Mike Paxton for having to clean up the tavern, his own things, and help to check out all the PCs! He and I are often the last two to leave site and he deserves patience and understanding in all things. Having him step up this year has reduced my stress levels immensely and allowed me to focus on other aspects of game.

Thank you Keith for posting this, and thanks Jesse for your kind words. What honestly happened is I mismanaged my time trying to get the tavern cleaned up. That was my screw up. I said I'd be around for cabin check out and I should have been there. I'll make sure I'm more available next time or I delegate someone to do the check outs. At the end of game, we are all tired and exhausted, I know you just sometimes want to get on the road. For those that were waiting around, my deepest apologies. If you want to message me privately about it, I'll be more than happy to talk through it.

For next month at Sky High, I'll have a better plan to get the site cleaned up. Since we don't have to check out of each cabin at Sky High, it will be a bit easier adn faster to get offsite. Once we get back to Magic Sky in September, we will make sure we have a good plan so that this doesn't happen again.

Again, my apologies, thanks everyone for being such a great community.

Back