An ultimatum and opportunity

It has come to this. Know for however long it is that you manage to exist that it was your stone which was cast first, and my hand which has been forced. You will deal with me, or I shall see you dealt with. There is far more at stake than you yet realize, any of you. Save, perhaps, one. I would rather not fight you now, as tempting as that often is. I will need all my strength if I am to save the world.

You play at being heroes, filling each other's ears with your righteous anger and fiercely held truths.

Your anger clouds your vision red.

Your truths are falsehoods in crimson cloaks.

You have, all of you, committed two grave errors here. Firstly, you have steadfastly refused to look at an issue from a step back. It has been far easier, infinitely easier, to assume there is always only a right and a wrong, and that because your side has you on it, it must be right. I would say you were misled, but in truth you were simply pointed in a direction and all to eagerly followed it without ever looking anywhere but where your next footfall will be. “We haven't gone wrong yet,” you say “and that means we never will.” Suppose you saw two children fight over who will play with a toy. If one child ran to you and said “She won't share, and I'm sad”, you might well say “let us go and speak with her, and you can both take turns”. But if the child runs to you and says, “She took my toy and pushed me and said she'd hit me if I told”, every one of you seems to simply trust this child, and assume that only the other girl is at fault. All because a child told you, a child you just saw to be fighting. Just because something is said doesn't make it true, and important secret truths, hidden “how it really happened” tales with no evidence but say-so should be the first ones that you doubt, not the last. Oh, but the story adds up, and no one has ever altered the facts to paint themselves with the brush of purity. Oh, what fools you mortals truly are.

Secondly, you are brazen past reason, bold beyond sense, and it is the consistency of your hapless success that has you so flushed with pride at your course. You are riding a wave, and it will crash, and you will be left dashed on the rocks or washed away. Do you truly feel that you can continue this? To push and prod and mock and expect it to never come round? The sun and the moon are circles, and this is not an accident but a reminder, marching in their cycles every day and yet you keep bulling forward, confident that laws of nature and inevitability do not apply to you, as you are too special. How else am I to understand that you will openly disdain make mockery with your every action, to let nothing pass through your mind and out your lips without adding on your clever little joke? Deride an important man for years while he makes no reply, and you must not be surprised when that man finally speaks it goes ill not just for you, but those who laughed and those who said nothing to stop you. I am far more than a man, and there is none more important than I.

However, I have been shown something of what is to come, and I trust that at least some among you can set aside your blind nobility long enough to say “Yes, we have been foes, but I'd rather us both alive and fight each other than both dead and past all hope.” To forestall certain tired arguments, I am not referring to only one person among you dying. It really will be closer to all of your and your families. I did not write this to threaten anyone, and I am not looking for open arms. If any among you can look outside of our shared conflicts and agree that we all benefit if we all survive, then those people need only find themselves alone and unwatched and call out to me, and I will reach out to them. Some of your nobles have given orders that I am to be attacked, and I do not wish to provoke any violence. I would prefer that one of your several squires make me a vouch of good faith, but I will work with less formal groups or individuals if that is what I am given. I expect no helpful replies here, only a rebuke by whichever of your esteemed Justicars or Knights or hotheaded "Lords of Stoneroost" first chances to see this. When you are alone, I will be there, as I have always been.

I have the knowledge and very nearly the power to save us all from a fate far worse than death. As you so often put your lives on the line, set now your pride in the hands of fate and trust that this must be done.

-Fever Grey, Crown Prince of the Fey, Lord of Eidereban

First, as this seems to be a needed reminder. Aiding or giving information to an enemy of the crown is not only a bad idea in general, it is against the law. I am not saying don't talk to Fever Grey, or don't have tea and play jump rope with him. I'm saying keep in mind who and what he is if you choose to interact with him in whatever fashion. The inability to hold your tongue or make even remotely well thought out decisions shockingly does not absolve you of your actions.

That being said,

Fever Grey,

What the F**k are you talking about.

My history with you is summed up very easily and does not involve, at least to my knowledge, any child (mental, metaphorical, or otherwise) saying hey fever grey is bad go take him out behind the woodshed and give him a whooping. I have fought you when you were trying to kill, capture or otherwise hurt my friends or citizens I am sworn to protect. At that point it does not matter what anyones goal is, the simple fact is, I will not stand by and let you do that. We have also had several conversations, which I felt were fairly pleasant, even the few that devolved into basically us having a slap fight.

I have traded jests with you, as I do with everyone, but I do not believe I have ever treated you disrespectfully or as anything less than someone who should be listened to if you have something to say.

If you believe you have information about a threat that concerns all, then by all means I invite you to come speak to me about it. I will not promise open arms but I will give you an open ear. I will promise you safe conduct for the length of our discussion, given that you also behave yourself. Any citizens that wish to also be present are more than welcome as long as they can also promise to behave themselves and listen.

So come Fever Gery and tell me what the hell you are talking about.

-Kainen

... just out of curiosity. Wouldn't being a prince override being a lord? Or is it like Knight vs. lord knight. Are there other fey princes?

Ahhhh, Kainen, you are a treasure of surprises. Do your duty. Follow your instincts. Command and laugh and curse and lie, all coiled up in a tight knot of fury. As much as I possibly could, I like you. In truth, there are few I would rather deal with than you, and many I would far less. For this, I will offer an explanation.

I am not referring to literal children. However, I do know that all children lie. It is in their nature. They present their stories to show themselves in the best light, and to highlight only the flaws and misdeeds of their enemies. Thus, the description is apt.

Know that while these children (wink, wink) squabble on over the same things they have always fought over, neither one is without blame, neither one should be given sole possession of the toy. Instead, both should be forced to put the toy aside, because a much bigger man will take it from them both, and leave them both crying in the mud. Siblings shouldn't fight so hard that they cannot come together against a hateful uncle that will punish them grievously simply for who their mother was.

You don't, you can't, understand just how much trouble all of us are in.

And, ahh, titles and politics. A prince may one day be a king, but until then is only a royal seed, one which might never grow into true power. I will not proclaim myself king until my people are united behind me. As the commander of a fortress, one of critical strategic importance, my lordship is immediate and relevant. No others can claim princedom.

I shall come, if you (and I speak personally to you, Squire Serpentus) can insure that certain racists amongst your people can set aside their ignorance long enough to hear my words.

-Fever Grey, Crown Prince of the Fey, Lord of Eidereban

If you pose no violence toward us, we will find a way for an open dialogue to hear what you have to say.

But, for those reading this, remember what Kainen speaks. Listen, but speak carefully and act wisely.

- Sevaria of Goshawk

Fever Grey,
I already offered safe conduct so that you may discuss this threat with us. I would not unknowingly remove said offer so as to trap you unawares. I can't promise that some who hate you won't attack you, as I have no control over actions of others. I will promise you that they will not succeed while I can prevent it.

I look forward to the discussion.

-Kainen

"Prince"

Judging from previous conversations I venture that the "toys" are Void and Puriel and the "children" are those seeking the shards of both, but it's just a guess.

If you want to talk, thats fine but your modus operandi of "talk" usualy involves vampire charmming people to do your bidding or otherwise forcing information from people. You are not hated becasue your Fey, or because someone has told us you are bad. You are hated becasue:

You had your pet Dark Unicorn Shadowmane try to kill us many times.
You had your pet Vappor try to kill us many times.
You've tried to kill us many times.
You murdered Lady Thrace to get your own way.
You regulary torture and haunt the minds of people in town
Your leading a war to take a Bastion which you have no right to, and no claim to.
You only come accross as "civil" when you want something you can not otherwise simply take.
Your basicaly a bully.

So yes, make your grand speeches. Say whatever it is you feel you need to say. I would like nothing more then to no longer have to count you on the list of foes we regularly have to deal with, we have plenty enough to do. Understand however, that your usual antics and petty sceams will result in yet another "slap fight" as Squire Kinen so aptly put it.

If you realy want to just talk, I'd listen, but you are never without your games, and I was tierd of playing them long before the mists sealed us away and you rose to where you are now. I'll be with the squire to hear you out.

Lord Amaranthus Landcharmer
Lord of Stoneroost

I am impressed. I even stated that there would be nothing helpful left here. Yet with four statements from three minor nobles only half a one was uppity and that's actually quite good coming from one of the hothead. My claim to that spot is far older than yours, for the record. Your folk are well behind on their rent. They are the children. The toy is everything else.

As I was saying, I am well enough pleased that I will dispense with grand proclamations (speeches are spoken). I offer then this oath instead:

I, called Fever Grey, Crown Prince of the Fey and Lord of Eidereban do swear of my own free will to the witness of all who do read this and those three of the Court who abide here with me that on the occasion of my arrival in the confines of the Bastion called Chiram's Hollow that I shall not cause harm of person, mind or spirit to any citizen thereof or guest of same, nor shall I order in word or deed any such harm, nor permit it from any being, person, creature or implement beholden to me by fealty or contract or possession, save to defend myself and only against those who have raised weapon or spell against me, and this protection shall extend to not less than one full day and one hour more past the time of my departure from the Bastion called Chiram's Hollow having first arrived and this protection begun. This I swear by the spaces between, by the weight of crowns, by the heat that freezes, by the edges of thought and by the bloom of the ruins.

I will come, and we will talk.

Back