Announcement from the Duke

Citizens of Briarpass,

I greet you all in good spirit; Safe of body and mind and glad for the coming summer. Many of you have not been idle these last few months houses springing back up, fields sewn with seed, and businesses reopening throughout this Duchy and I surmise across the whole of Wayside are the just rewards for the strength of purpose, determination, and humanity shown by our peoples and allies in these last few trying years. With the end of winter we leave behind a dark time and instead begin to look forward to better days.

I too come to assure you that this Duchy has not been idle through the spring. With much careful consideration and in keeping with promises made to many of you in the long last few summers. I, Jocelyn Raash, Duke of Briarpass as appointed by his Royal Majesty do hereby announce the inclusion of a new law to the rosters of Briarpass.

Henceforth:
"Acts of slavery including, purchasing, transportation, sales, trade, or otherwise profiteering in human or humanoid trafficking shall be illegal in the Duchy of Briarpass. The punishment for such a crime to be commensurate with the offense but shall not be beneath the profit made as fine or beyond a single resurrection by a Vassal Knight, Sheriff or other appropriate lawperson."

It is with much hope that our lands can be known once again as a land of opportunity and freedom that I have signed the documents to make this into a Ducal law. I understand not all may be pleased but I am nonetheless faithful that to those naysayers and malcontents there will be ten proud men and women with strong backs and the pride of a day’s wages truly earned not taken from the tolls of another.

In coming months, as the Kingdom continues to reform, His Majesty assures me of his wishes to follow suit and only wished to make due on his own promise for freedom and progression of our peoples. I am certain there will be further changes but for now I bid you celebrate what so many lives have paid for; Freedom.

By my hand,

Jocelyn Raash
Duke of Briarpass

Back