ARB: Alliance Rulebook Beta Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading page 173 about different trap types. 3 of them are clear about whether the trap can be re-used after it is triggered:
"Weapon traps are not destroyed when set off"
"Mechanical traps must be rebuilt after they are set off and cannot be re-armed."
Explosive traps: "This trap is destroyed when it detonates."

However, 2 of them are unclear:
Gas and Scroll Traps... not explicit. Clearly you cannnot retrieve the gas/scroll... but can you reload a new gas into a triggered Gas Trap and set the trap again?
Noisemaker... no mention. Not mentioned one way or the other.

I would suggest a standardized line in each of the 5 types so that it is easy to tell how each one works.

This is an issue that existed in the old rulebook, and I figure if a new rulebook is getting made, it might as well get fixed: the weapon size chart on pg. 83. Consider the following:

If a player has a 36-48" sword rep, it is a Longsword.
If a player has a 36-48" axe rep, it is a Long Axe.
If a player has a 48-62" sword rep, it is a Two-Handed Sword.
If a player has a 48-62" axe rep, it falls under no weapon category and cannot be given an appropriate tag.
Once that axe rep is 62"-75", though, it is a Polearm.

There is a dead zone for axes between 48" and 62". Is there any reason to keep the minimum polearm length at 62", or can it be reduced to 48" to get rid of this unnecessary dead zone? We keep changing weapon length rules "to allow for a wider variety of commercial latex weapons", so why keep a 14" area where a player's axe rep is illegal purely because it is simultaneously too long and too short to get a tag?

We can just rename Two-Handed Sword to be Two-Handed Edged.

We can just rename Two-Handed Sword to be Two-Handed Edged.
Reminder, that means you would then be consolidating Polearms and Two-Handed Swords into the same item, which currently have different length requirements, different skills to wield them, different legal striking surfaces, and different production values. More can of worms requiring way more rulebook editing there than you initially might think.

It'd be easier to simply reduce the minimum polearm length to 48". All it would take is literally changing at one number on that one table, and everything is smoothed out.

Last edited:
Reminder, that means you would then be consolidating Polearms and Two-Handed Swords into the same item, which currently have different length requirements, different skills to wield them, different legal striking surfaces, and different production values. More can of worms requiring way more rulebook editing there than you initially might think.

It'd be easier to simply reduce the minimum polearm length to 48". All it would take is literally changing at one number on that one table, and everything is smoothed out.

This would just be making it consistent with how we handle 1-hand weapons.

And you'd keep polearm for 'longest' category weapons -- just like the 'longest' blunts are currently classified as polearms.

And you'd keep polearm for 'longest' category weapons -- just like the 'longest' blunts are currently classified as polearms.
That's not true at all. The longest blunt weapons are Two-Handed Blunts, which again, have different length requirements, different legal striking surfaces/maneuvers as Polearms (blunt weapons cannot thrust, but Polearms can), and different skills allowing their use.

If your chapter plays a bit looser with weapon classifications, you do you I suppose, but per the rules, the weapon types and their assorted rules are pretty distinct.

If I make a lucerne hammer style weapon physrep, and make it 48" long, its considered a Long Blunt, if I make it 62" long, its considered a Two-Hand Blunt, and if I make 75" long its considered a polearm. In all 3 cases the head is identical, its only the shaft length that varies. It is the case that when it becomes the longest category it gains the ability to thrust.

I'm just proposing we do the same thing for when I put an axe head instead of a hammer head. (Well, using "edged" instead of "blunt".)

Just to interject, it would equate polearms to spears as far as the one:two handed categories go... Carry on, I have no horse in this race.

We could also get rid of that silly requirement that blunts can’t thrust. I have no idea why that exists.

I know this is stupid, as I'm a caster... but can't we just have a chart for ONE-handed weapons and another for TWO-handed weapons? Then that way it's clear how the weapon is needed to be used and then the requirements for length for it?

We could also get rid of that silly requirement that blunts can’t thrust. I have no idea why that exists.

I mean blunt weapons are cheaper to buy because of it.

If we were open for revisiting how weapon skills are defined, we should just talk about changing the skills to be something like small, 1H short, 1H long, 2H short, 2H Long (aka polearm). And then make each category cost more, and include the previous categories.

Maybe wrap small & 1H-short in to the same category. Then add 'staff', thrown, archery. (Staff is special-cased because of its ties to channeling and the caster-with-staff thing we like to encourage.)

Edit: Though this discussion is outside the scope of this thread. So if we want to continue it, we should split it in to its own thread.

Last edited:
This would just be making it consistent with how we handle 1-hand weapons.

Polearms are not blunts by definition, as demonstrated by Dryads being unable to use them in the old rules (and if you want to go further back, Sarr being able to use them). The longest blunt weapon is Staff.

Not sure if someone else has posted or not, but it looks like the Pin spell is completely missing from the list of effects.

Also,

"The zombie uses none of the skills that the character has. It inflicts base damage with its weapons"

Should this entry under the Create Undead section be changed to allow for weapon skills?

Also, Remove Destruction is listed under the chart of spells, but not mentioned in the effect groups nor the description section of the effects

Last edited:
No description of Pin in the spells section and for stun limb the chart shows 5 minutes but the spell description is 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back