Are Sarr Always Fighters?

AlikVanmil

Greetings all,

I have a question for anyone that plays or knows the culture of the Sarr.

I got an idea for a Sarr alchemist character. Going through the Racial package and the rulebook it says that they prefer to use edged weapons and don't look kindly on magics. Would it be possible to have a Sarr alchemist. Or would that be too much of a special snowflake character.

Unless the racial traits of the rule book prohibit a skill or class, you may take that skill or class. There are examples of outright prohibitions. For example, Hoblings are not permitted to be fighters and Biata are not permitted to take the skill Read Magic. Sarr also has restricted skills, but those restrictions are just weapons skills (ranged weapons and blunt weapons).

The short version of this is that you are not required to play a Sarr Fighter and a Sarr alchemist is a completely reasonable character. If it helps any, alchemy isn't magic in-game, so that part of the racial description is moot. As for the stuff about preferring edged weapons, if you choose to use a weapon, by the rules, it is your only choice. I would recommend purchasing the Claws skill for your Sarr, so you have easy access to a weapon, anyway. It also means you can deliver easy killing blows after you use alchemy on someone. But, I don't think you should feel any sort of compulsion to get proficiencies. In fact, since alchemists are usually rogues (though not always), you may want to pick up some backstabs at some point in the distant future. Though that is long term planning that you needn't worry about now.

For now, make your alchemist and have fun. You definitely aren't breaking the rules or spirit of the game.

-MS

Reading what MS wrote I think a sarr would make an extremely good candidate for a rogue do to large predators stalking and surpriseing attacks that still grant the bloodlust search for by a sarr not gained through normal magic along with the fact alchemy tends to lean into more of a rougeish ability.
-Jonathan

I've seen Sarr scholars in the past, back when Sarr were a popular race. I'm making an alt Sarr artisan who shall be an alchemist with some earth spells for healing.
Remember, you're only limited by your imagination.

Sarr earth Templar/jack of all trades signing in here.

Reading what MS wrote I think a sarr would make an extremely good candidate for a rogue do to large predators stalking and surpriseing attacks that still grant the bloodlust search for by a sarr not gained through normal magic along with the fact alchemy tends to lean into more of a rougeish ability.
-Jonathan

Yet they can't buy waylay, despite clubbing prey from behind being one of the main attack methods of a lot of the big cats. :confused:

I've been saying the Sarr book needs a rewrite for nearly a decade now. Many of the people I know who have expressed interest in them have ended up making 'kin instead, as the makeup requirements are identical but the cultural issues are easier to work around for character concepts.

Local race packets can help inform your character design as well. The Nine Towers campaign, for instance, has three castes of Sarr, two of which are explicitly dedicated to casting magic (Star-Reading and Earth-Tending).

Without a doubt, Sarr are not limited to any class by the system of the rules. However, I would echo the sentiments of others on this thread, and have you double-check the restrictions to build a character that best fits what you would like to play. I know of at least two sarr scholars, and at least a handful of templars country wide. I also know my choice to go fighter instead of rogue had to do with our initial weapon restrictions at low levels, and I've been happier for it in the long run.

For your concept, Alchemist sounds fantastic :). I know of someone who played one for a long, long time.

No matter what, the important part is to enjoy your character; which I am sure you will. (One of us! ;) )

-Ali

Logan I believe Jax is an celestial adept possible alchemy
Aezir is earth templar
Kumari is a fighter looking to forge to rogue
Harlequin is also a rogue I think

Raccoons are excellent prey animals...and make good hats! ;)

And humans make great.....

......scapegoats? That's pretty much all I could come up with. ;)

I found with working with the Sarr being more aggressive and preferring edged weapons was make a very aggressive Earth Templar. But it all depends on how you want to play your Sarr. As said earlier the only thing stopping you from making your character a certain way would be the race restrictions. The only class that might be effected by a race restriction is Rogue, with Sarr not being able to take Waylay but you get a cheap Assassinate instead so that makes up for it.
If you want to chat about your Sarr alt for our chapter feel free to send me a message.

Last edited:
I must be the only person who doesn't view the restrictions as being a factor in what class to play. I know they don't get waylay (one I disagree with) but it's hardly a make or break skill.
That said, I can see why others would shy away depending on their style of play.

My Sarr was a scout, but would have been a rogue if he were under the current class-shifting rules. Honestly, given that waylay's days as a skill are likely numbered due to latex weapons' popularity and boffer reps no longer requiring waylay tips on every rep, it isn't really that much of a loss to not be able to use it.

The short version of this is that you are not required to play a Sarr Fighter and a Sarr alchemist is a completely reasonable character. If it helps any, alchemy isn't magic in-game, so that part of the racial description is moot. As for the stuff about preferring edged weapons, if you choose to use a weapon, by the rules, it is your only choice. I would recommend purchasing the Claws skill for your Sarr, so you have easy access to a weapon, anyway. It also means you can deliver easy killing blows after you use alchemy on someone. But, I don't think you should feel any sort of compulsion to get proficiencies. In fact, since alchemists are usually rogues (though not always), you may want to pick up some backstabs at some point in the distant future. Though that is long term planning that you needn't worry about now.

For now, make your alchemist and have fun. You definitely aren't breaking the rules or spirit of the game.

-MS

And if you want a great story about a sarr alchemist and how he wins the battle through his cleverness, check out the story "Unscarred" in the latest "Tales of Fortannis" book "A Bard Day's Knight", which was written by a certain Mike Strauss.

http://www.amazon.com/Bard-Days-Knight-Michael-Ventrella/dp/177115232X/

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion

Jaxx is a Rogue. I toss alchemy all the time. I picked up Celestial magic to use scrolls. ;)

Back