Are There Any LARPers In Salem?

Lianna

Greetings,

We are looking at a property just outside Salem Oregon, but from what we can tell, there doesn't seem to be much LARPing going on there.

Is there LARPing of any kind, boffer or theater, in the Salem area, or would one have to go to Portland?

Thanks!

Lianna :O)

Hey Lianna!

Rick Raddue, codename Durnic, is the New Player Rep for Alliance Oregon, and he's a great guy to throw your questions at. But I think I can handle this one for you. :)

If you'd like to contact him, he can be emailed at newplayer@allianceoregon.com. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure someone will correct me!

Alliance Oregon tends to operate out of Camp Kiwanilong, in Warrenton. That's about 2 1/2 hours out of Salem, from what I see. For LARPing, that's not much of a drive, really. Occasionally, we might have to fall back to our backup site at Brooks Memorial, which is out of Goldendale, WA, but that's a rarity.

If you aren't familiar with Alliance, we're a technically international LARP (as we have a Calgary-based chapter now!). We're a high-magic, adventuring genre of LARP, with boffer/seed packet combat, designed to be safe, fun, and PG-13 (as we can have players as young as 8).

Our rules tend to revolve around getting involved in groups, so it pays to be social!

If you want to take a look at our rules, a free, downloadable copy is available here:

http://alliancelarp.com/rule-book/

Also, if longer drives aren't an issue for you, Alliance also has chapters available in San Francisco, as well as (shameless plug!) Alliance Seattle, where I'm the New Player Rep for that chapter. I'm not as familiar with where SF tends to operate out of, but Seattle's events are typically held in Millersylvania State Park, in Olympia. Additionally, any character you create in any chapter can be played in any other chapter, so there's definitely a draw to do some visiting outside of your home area.

I hope that helps!

-Evan

I don't know that any LARP in Salem specifically. I live down in Eugene and the only ones I know of south of Portland without getting into California would be the SCA, Dystopia Rising (I thing they do two games a year somewhere near Eugene and Salem), Camerilla (Vampires), and Sea Dog Nights and Tortuga (Lebanon in July and August/Pirate themed). Really, the best ones are up north of us, in my opinion. Alliance is by far the best game I'm involved in, though there is a big learning curve to the game. I also do Sea Dogs/Tortuga, but those events are more Party/Festival with some RP and are not really great for minors due to drinking and such (Also shameless plug as I am staff). Really, the Northwest is just starting to get into gear as far as LARPs go. Just keep your ears to the ground for the local stuff.

It's usually possible to hitch a ride north with some one for a weekend event with Oregon or Seattle.

*cough drives up from Eugene cough*

Hmmm...2 1/2 hours seems to be a bit of a distance...probably worth it though.

Do you suppose that the reason that there aren't any LARPs in Salem is lack of people, lack of places to play, or lack of interest. I've twice tried to ask the Salem gaming MeetUp group about interest LARPing, but so far have not received a response.

I we built it would they come? The reason that I'm asking is that we not only participate in LARPs, but we have written a few scenarios for boffer/fantasy LARPs, and we run a theater LARP called Melodramatic Mysteries. We would like to "import" MM to Salem if we decide to move there. If there aren't enough LARPers in Salem, we probably will look for property closer to Portland (there is another property that we are interested in Washougal) or Seattle. While we are quite interested in the Salem property, we aren't willing to give up MM for a nice house.

The property that we are looking at in Salem is 10.5 acres. Probably to small to LARP on, but it we wouldn't be opposed to hosting a LARP on it if we move there. We are both costumers and make LARP props. Oh, and we also have two medieval pavilions and a portable castle ( well...actually just the front of a castle...but it is 25' long and 15' high).

I don't know that any LARP in Salem specifically. I live down in Eugene and the only ones I know of south of Portland without getting into California would be the SCA, Dystopia Rising (I thing they do two games a year somewhere near Eugene and Salem), Camerilla (Vampires), and Sea Dog Nights and Tortuga (Lebanon in July and August/Pirate themed). Really, the best ones are up north of us, in my opinion. Alliance is by far the best game I'm involved in, though there is a big learning curve to the game. I also do Sea Dogs/Tortuga, but those events are more Party/Festival with some RP and are not really great for minors due to drinking and such (Also shameless plug as I am staff). Really, the Northwest is just starting to get into gear as far as LARPs go. Just keep your ears to the ground for the local stuff.

We are actually giving the SCA a close look. I know that it's not quite your typical LARP, but it looks interesting. We might do both. I contacted the Seneschal of Terra Pomaria, the Salem chapter of the SCA back on the 28th, but so far no response.

Dystopia has a pretty vibrant chapter here locally. We haven't tried it yet. Sounds interesting though.
Not really into Camerilla.
Pirates? Yes! One of my LARP and RPG personas is Gwen Scarlett Pirate Queen! I also have a working pirate cannon that I built myself. I got the instructions from the Beer Barrel Privateers, a pirate group in Vancouver, BC. You can see it in action on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thewyvernmanor

Anyway...enough of my jibber jabber. To get to the point. We are wondering if there is enough interest in LARP in Salem (and/or Eugene - we like Eugene) for us to move there. As I mentioned in my reply to Draven, we are pretty dedicated LARPers, and we don't want to buy property in Salem only to find out that we are isolated from LARPing.

Hey Lianna ^.^

I currently live in the Salem area, and moved up from Corvallis. I've been LARPing in Alliance for roughly... three years? And haven't found the drive to site to be too much of a distance. If you're needing a ride up, we attend every game we can, and I generally have room in my car for an extra body or two.

Otherwise, your best contact is most likely Durnic, who is in the Portland area, which tends to be a little more LARP centric. I think a lot of the reason Salem isn't more of a LARP scene is the proximity to Portland and the LARP community up there.

We've travelled a few times up towards Seattle as well for games as well as events, and with Portland players so close, haven't found Salem to feel isolated.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you at the next Alliance game!

We are actually giving the SCA a close look. I know that it's not quite your typical LARP, but it looks interesting. We might do both. I contacted the Seneschal of Terra Pomaria, the Salem chapter of the SCA back on the 28th, but so far no response.

Dystopia has a pretty vibrant chapter here locally. We haven't tried it yet. Sounds interesting though.
Not really into Camerilla.
Pirates? Yes! One of my LARP and RPG personas is Gwen Scarlett Pirate Queen! I also have a working pirate cannon that I built myself. I got the instructions from the Beer Barrel Privateers, a pirate group in Vancouver, BC. You can see it in action on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thewyvernmanor

Anyway...enough of my jibber jabber. To get to the point. We are wondering if there is enough interest in LARP in Salem (and/or Eugene - we like Eugene) for us to move there. As I mentioned in my reply to Draven, we are pretty dedicated LARPers, and we don't want to buy property in Salem only to find out that we are isolated from LARPing.

My Lady...I'm Brutis McKreedy. LOL
We should get together for coffee or something with Dustin. I may have a LARP in mind. Also, WE LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN! LOL
That or hit me up of Facebook.

My Lady...I'm Brutis McKreedy. LOL
We should get together for coffee or something with Dustin. I may have a LARP in mind. Also, WE LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN! LOL
That or hit me up of Facebook.

Well...we aren't in Salem yet, but we are thinking about visiting Oregon to look at the houses (one in Salem and one in Washougal) that we like sometime between January 14th and January 18th.

Hey Lianna ^.^

I currently live in the Salem area, and moved up from Corvallis. I've been LARPing in Alliance for roughly... three years? And haven't found the drive to site to be too much of a distance. If you're needing a ride up, we attend every game we can, and I generally have room in my car for an extra body or two.

Otherwise, your best contact is most likely Durnic, who is in the Portland area, which tends to be a little more LARP centric. I think a lot of the reason Salem isn't more of a LARP scene is the proximity to Portland and the LARP community up there.

We've travelled a few times up towards Seattle as well for games as well as events, and with Portland players so close, haven't found Salem to feel isolated.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you at the next Alliance game!

I'm curious. Are most LARPers willing to drive for a couple of hours to LARP? Would someone say, in Portland (or Eugene, or...), be willing to drive to Salem for a one night Melodramatic Mysteries theater Larp that lasts about 4 hours?

I'm curious. Are most LARPers willing to drive for a couple of hours to LARP? Would someone say, in Portland (or Eugene, or...), be willing to drive to Salem for a one night Melodramatic Mysteries theater Larp that lasts about 4 hours?

There are some people who would drive that distance, but I don't think a lot of people would drive that distance for 4 hours of play time only to drive back.

Again, there are always exceptions to that. :)

Well...we aren't in Salem yet, but we are thinking about visiting Oregon to look at the houses (one in Salem and one in Washougal) that we like sometime between January 14th and January 18th.

Oh. Mistaken Identity then. lol The current Pirate Queen is named Scarlet.

There are some people who would drive that distance, but I don't think a lot of people would drive that distance for 4 hours of play time only to drive back.

Again, there are always exceptions to that. :)

That's what worries me. The typical Melodramatic Mysteries game requires 20+ players and NPCs. I am really worried that we would buy a house for $775,000 (the cost of the one that we are considering) outside Salem, have a LARP, and not get enough people. To paraphrase a saying from the 60s; suppose they held a LARP and no one came. :O(

I know a few people that run theater larps, but they are mostly in the Portland and Woodburn area. I drive about 30 to 40 minutes right now, will easily do a bit over an hour. Theater larps do not seem to be as popular on the West as they are in the East and Central.

I'd honestly recommend asking questions like this on our Facebook pages, as we have -far- more viewers there than on our forums.

Back