As Requested

Avaran

Baron
As requested by Elder Osmond, I am posting this letter from Prashka.

In Service
-Sir Avaran

Prashka said:
Avaran,

I've been hearing some unfortunate things in the Golden Horn about what happened in Tarndale over the last few months, and it seemed that it was about time I messaged you, in order to clear up some things before events are set in motion that we both regret.

It seems that there has been some misinformation shared and perpetuated about what my part was in the events that transpired in Tarndale in June, and I would like to put that issue to rest between us. I have always held respect for you as a leader among your people, and I would hope that you would afford me at least enough respect to listen to what I have to say before things go from bad to worse.

I would like to make this perfectly clear: I did not push Darien into doing what he did with the closing of the portal. I did not encourage him, demand this of him, or even fully agree with him about his plans and what transpired. While I do not deny that I had some small hand in it, it was not by my say-so that he performed his actions. In fact, he acted against my preference in the way the situation was executed. Let me explain:

As you know, I have been for the closing of the portal to Andar for quite some time. You and I did speak quite frankly about it not long before I left, and I appreciate the candor with which we spoke. About a week after my last gather in Tarndale, my Family and I had a very blunt conversation about a great many things, and the result was my decision to leave Tarndale once and forever.

I would like to you know that I, in no way, harbour or harboured any ill will or anger towards those remaining in Tarndale. When I left, I assumed my interest in closing the portal was over and done with. I had washed my hands of it to focus on where I was needed: here in the Golden Horn. That was it. One of the benefits of being outside of the political allegiances of Gaje politics is the freedom to drop everything and leave at a moment's notice, and I took full advantage of this once my Family made a few things clear to me.

It was nearly a month after I had left and decided never to return that Darien approached me in the Dreamscape. He asked for information about closing the portal, information that I possessed, and in line with my oaths to the Brotherhood of the Star, I gave it to him. I do not know if that decision was for the best or not, but it is what I swore to do as a member of the Brotherhood, and so I did what my oaths dictated I do. I'm sure you can understand that.

Let me be very clear about this next point: At NO time did I encourage Darien to wantonly close the portal. As I hope I made clear to you during our discussions, I was fully in favour of giving people 2-3 weeks worth of warning before the portal actually closed so that they could choose where to be when it happened. It was not my intention to split families apart, nor separate lords from their lands, and men from their duties. In fact, I find that thought repulsive, and I suggested as much to Darien. I encouraged him to try and find a way to warn people and give them time to depart. That he did not is something I am not happy about, but it was not my choice, and so I must live the consequences, as must we all.

I reiterate: it was not my choice nor my suggestion for Darien to close this portal. All I did was pass along information, as per my oaths.

Which brings me to the heart of this matter. While I like to think that your opinion of me has not been fully ruined, that isn't very important at the end of the day. What is important is that I fear a very dangerous war may be on the horizon.

You and I each have our own callings at the moment. From what I understand, you have a fight taking place on two very deadly fronts, although I know only as much as Taliya has told me. I, for my part, am dealing with a deranged Shadow Mage hell-bent on destroying me and mine, as I try to calm the nerves of a sorrowful Family, and hold the reigns of a semi-psychotic half-brother ready to snap at any moment. I do not need a new front on which to fight any more than I suspect you do.

I have heard whispers from people who frequent both lands that there are those among your friend group who are interested in coming to the Golden Horn to make me pay for a crime I did not commit. Normally, I would not be too concerned, since I know my life must end some day, but I am greatly concerned at this moment in time. Should threats and resurrections be exchanged, I fear that it won't stop in my own lands, but echo through to Tarndale. We could both be looking at a war between your friends and my own, and regardless of how it ends and who resurrects (and at this stage, any resurrection or expenditure of unnecessary resources will be sufficiently dangerous to both sides), it will leave us both vulnerable to whatever enemies may be lying in wait for us to become distracted.

And so, I turn to you. Whether you like me or hate me, I care not. What we must both understand is that there is no way for our sides to weather a war on yet another front without potentially wasting resources that are better spent on our true enemies. So, what can we do? How can we come to some understanding that permits us both to exist in our own worlds without the spill-over resulting in catastrophe for both sides?

I am willing to entertain nearly any notion, but please keep in mind that I have sworn never to return to Tarndale, so the idea of me returning to face some manner of justice for a crime I didn't commit is unacceptable. However, if there is some other way we can find to ensure that this does not get out of hand, I would be most grateful. I understand guarantees are not possible, but anything we can do to minimize the fallout from this horrific series of events would be appreciated.

I await your response, and appreciate your time and energy.

(a is word scribbled out, followed by the following text in different handwriting) Kpde fán kzú ypó,
Prashka-Myevka

Back