Asking for Clarifications

I have two quick questions about the playtest.

1) In the description of Corrupt is magic item use supposed to be optional or not? It seems to be saying that magic item use is mandatory, based on wording, but the phrasing is in a sentence that starts by talking about optional one-shot skill use, so I'm not certain about the intent.

2) Do you still "trade in" Critical Attacks and Back Attacks when you purchase Proficiencies and Backstabs? I assume so, but that seems odd since many new magic items are charged with these skills. If I am reading this correctly, you would either have to save extra (assuming that is possible, which I don't know if it is) or you would temporarily be unable to use some magic items every couple of levels. I'm just looking for clarification of intent here in regards to intersecting rules mechanics.

Finally, I just want to say that 90%+ of these changes are wonderful changes that really make for a smoother, better balanced, and more newbie friendly game. Thanks to all involved in the changes.

-MS

I have two quick questions about the playtest.

1) In the description of Corrupt is magic item use supposed to be optional or not? It seems to be saying that magic item use is mandatory, based on wording, but the phrasing is in a sentence that starts by talking about optional one-shot skill use, so I'm not certain about the intent.

2) Do you still "trade in" Critical Attacks and Back Attacks when you purchase Proficiencies and Backstabs? I assume so, but that seems odd since many new magic items are charged with these skills. If I am reading this correctly, you would either have to save extra (assuming that is possible, which I don't know if it is) or you would temporarily be unable to use some magic items every couple of levels. I'm just looking for clarification of intent here in regards to intersecting rules mechanics.

Finally, I just want to say that 90%+ of these changes are wonderful changes that really make for a smoother, better balanced, and more newbie friendly game. Thanks to all involved in the changes.

-MS
1) I read it as the use of MI is determined by what orders you are give by whomever cast the spell....other wise per day skills are left up to the player.

2) Yes you do...but you can also just buy crits and ba...which can be used (spent) to gain the bonus for a 10 min burst.

1) I read it as the use of MI is determined by what orders you are give by whomever cast the spell....other wise per day skills are left up to the player.

2) Yes you do...but you can also just buy crits and ba...which can be used (spent) to gain the bonus for a 10 min burst.

As a followup question to the second answer. I believe, under current rules, you can't buy more than 4 back attacks or critical attacks at a time. Obviously this changes in the new rules. Do the new rules allow you to purchase more of these than is necessary to trade in for the next level?

Again, I am assuming so, but I just want to be certain rather than make assumptions.

-MS

(1): For reference:
Corrupt: This spell will slay a living target and cause them to immediately become a Greater Undead under absolute control of the caster. They retain the same intelligence and knowledge as the original creature, but operate without any memory of their living state. They have an innate understanding of their own abilities and items and may utilize any weapons or armor available to the creature as well as claws. The creature's visual appearance does not immediately change on receipt of this spell.

The character gains all Undead immunities and vulnerabilities and is returned to full Body Points. The player (not the character) has the choice to use or not use per-day skills and spells while under the effect of Corrupt, and will use magic items based on the orders they are given.

If cast upon a Dead body which contains a spirit, the target will immediately arise as Undead as per above.

If the creature is reduced to zero Body Points, or the spell duration expires, then the body and the spirit return to the condition they would have been in had the Corrupt not affected them. This means that if during the five minute Death Countdown the creature is reduced to 0 Body Points and then given a Life spell, they will reawaken alive but with no knowledge of their time spent as Undead.

The ten minute spell duration may not be extended by any means, even by Formal Magic.

The text of Corrupt was written prior to the changes to the magic item system and I suspect some clarification to that particular phrase would be forthcoming. As written now my take on it would be that it's a player choice to use per-day skills, *including* activating magic items that require a skill expenditure, but that use of magic items that do not require a skill expenditure would be mandatory if ordered.

(2): As noted above, CA/BA are still turned in for WP/BS, but they also now have additional functionality that makes buying some to keep around and use enticing.

As a followup question to the second answer. I believe, under current rules, you can't buy more than 4 back attacks or critical attacks at a time. Obviously this changes in the new rules. Do the new rules allow you to purchase more of these than is necessary to trade in for the next level?

I'm not convinced that the limitation currently exists (though it might; honestly, I don't recall it ever being relevant to the point of looking it up), but it is definitely acceptable to have more than 4 (or 40) under the new rules.

Again, I am assuming so, but I just want to be certain rather than make assumptions.

-MS

The new rules to state that no more than 10 crit attacks or back attacks may be activated at a time, but no limit on purchases mentioned. This tells me a character can buy as many CA or BA as they want.

Re: #1, the fourth paragraph says that when it expires, "the body and the spirit return to the condition they would have been in had the Corrupt not affected them."

Is this intended to mean that if you're alive when it hits you, your death count starts at zero when you get to 0 body/after ten minutes, but if it hits a dead body the death count is paused and resumes where it left off when you get to 0 body/after ten minutes? Or am I misreading this part?

The wording is cumbersome, but the intent here is that it should be identical to the Create Undead spell. Your death count does not pause, and when the spell ends you will be in whichever state you would have been in given the time elapsed:

If you are alive when hit by the spell you immediately begin your death count and become undead as described. If the spell ends or you are dropped within your five minute death count then you may be the recipient of a life spell. If your five minute death count has expired when the spell ends/you are dropped then you will immediately go to (resurrect/regenerate/be permenantly dead) as appropriate.

If you are dead when hit by the spell then your death count continues and you become undead as described, following the rules as above.

In that case I'm confused about why it mentions a ten minute duration, since death counts are five minutes...?

Edit: I see that the same clunky wording is in the old version. Never mind, then.

Last edited:
The spell lasts 10 minutes. It is possible to still be up and shambling even after your death count has expired; in that case you will not go to resurrect until the spell ends or you are dropped.

Oh! Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

(I was sort of looking for it to be different somehow since it can now affect a living person, and "the condition it would have been in" only makes sense when being dead was a prerequisite.)

Last edited:
I asked for more clarification in my playtest round for the same thing because it states "return to had the corrupt not affect them" which implies I'm at 2:50 seconds left, my corrupt ends, I go back to the state I was in had it not affect me so thats 2:50 left in my count. If the intent is to continue your 5 minute "death count"while counting the 10 minute corrupt count it should absolutely state that (I do agree that is the intent of the spell).

Back