Assistance with Skain's new problems

Stripe

Scholar
Good evening adventurers. I am Professor Bookworm, and I believe most of you here know me here.

While I would have preferred to have a few days to gather my thoughts before writing this, the short times between markets and the urgency of the request have precluded this.

This previous market Squire Aicha, Cupbearer Lorelei, assisted by myself and Atradimas, visited the area in Skain known as La Shangre where we were inquiring about renting one of the stasis pods they had (for the problem with Magus Varov, for which either Aicha or Lorelei should have questions directed to). These pods are not likely going to be useful in that endeavor, but while investigating we have found multiple different problems.

1) The people on the waiting list for getting into the pods are dying at a rate that cannot be attributed to natural causes. We have already confirmed one of the victims matching one of the missing posters that were posted in the tavern this weekend.

2) The facility itself has fallen into great disrepair, which has attributed to why the large number of deaths have not been investigated until now. It is at the point where I have concerns about the safety of those already using the pods, and what would happen to them in the event of a large scale failure of the machinery that keeps them alive.

For the more pressing matter of the ongoing deaths, we should have a list of those who have left the waiting list in a few days, as well as the names on the list that could be targeted next, though until we narrow down how they are chosen this information is not immediately helpful. In can be noted most of the victims are from Skain and the surrounding areas. It is also to be noted that a name is only removed from the list upon both the death of the person on the list, and the death of those they have designated to inherit their place in line - the wait for a pod being 300 years or so. Which makes me suspect each of the missing names from the list will account for multiple bodies. Especially with the young age of the victims we have found so far.

I am asking any adventurers who can work with the local town guards to investigate these deaths and try and find any suspects or patterns. We do not have a lot of initial information at this time.

I am also asking for assistance from any adventurers who are knowledgeable at constructs or the machinery that goes into them. I am getting the information about the victims by working at a maintenance job at the facility, which is why I am so concerned about the safety of those in it. It's bad.
In fact, if anyone would like to get hired to help out there is basically nobody working full time here. Even help clearing out possum nests from the less used sections would be appreciated.

We are scheduled to broach the topic of the murders and the danger to the facility with one of the higher ups next market day, as they so far seem to not be aware of the information, and we would like to present a full detailed write up to them at once as a group.
We would also like to avoid exactly how we got our hands on the lists of those waiting for pods, as it's not really supposed to be something we should have in a legal sense. And lead to the execution of the worker who missed the signs of the deaths until we showed up.

Please follow up with any questions or clarifications that you need answered. Otherwise I am temporarily the one in charge of organizing this investigation.

--------

As some detail on the facility - it is located in Skain in a place called Jester's Valley, and most of the areas near the pods and any meetings with those in charge need to be scheduled ahead of time. The front gates are accessible for those looking to join the waiting list or sign up for employment. All of this is automated by constructs.

The number of pods is at least in the hundreds, with all who are inside the pods living their best lives as constructs on the surface, working once a month at most. Each year, one pod is opened for that person's 'grand finale' and death, leaving a pod open for the next in line. When the pod is opened, all aging effects hit those in the pod at once, usually killing them outright, with exceptions for some longer lived races.

The list is currently 295 names long, with about 30 or so having left the list since the new year. The last victim was a gull kin named Amelia Rivergull, missing from Thornwood village since February 14th. More names will be available once we have the list organized.

-Professor Benjamin Bookworm

Benjamin,

I am in contact with Amelia Rivergull. She is not dead. In fact I could use your assistance, if willing, to find out what happened to her tonight if you're willing and able.

FF

Benjamin!

I saw you working at LaShangre (you work way too hard my friend, play hooky once in a while)! I was there building upgrades to Apaullette's body . I'm close to being able to recreate such pods. Apparently you need the skills of multiple crafters and professions to finalize it. I want to work this market to pinpoint what those are!

-Sam

Back