At the blacksmiths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rohnan walked across the Lux towards the forges not really paying attention to her surroundings. Entering the building was a grounding experience. The smell of the mettle and the sound of the hammers was southing and for a moment it was as if she was back with the Lady of Iron. She moved to a place where she would be out ove the way and took in the atmosphere, it wasn’t the same but it was as close as she was going to get. She really did actually need something from here, but until someone was available to help her, she was content to sit and take it all in.

Calan wanders up behind Rohnan. “It’s getting close to the anniversary isn’t it?”

“It would make sense that you would come here too”, Rohnan turned around to look at Calan. Checking to see if he’s visibly all right. “It is getting close. It feels like it’s been much more that a year.” She closed her eyes and inhaled, it was different. “I almost miss it.” She looked around and it was obvious, this wasn’t the forge that was her home for centuries. “How are you holding up?”

Calan shrugs “mostly numb with bursts of murderous rage.” Calan looks at their surroundings. “Sometimes I still dream of the forge, if I have trouble sleeping I think of the hammering. I sometimes wonder if we will ever go back.”

“Mmmm, so normal,” she half teased. Rohnan looked around, “Sometimes.... I wish we never left,” she confessed. “At the moment it was time to leave, return to that battle field, and return here. But,” she caught Calan’s eye, “It’s getting harder to find a reason to stay here.” They joked about it often, walking away and leaving this all behind, this was different. “It really feels like we can’t win. Once one enemy is dealt with two more take its place.” She closed her eyes and listened to the hammering for a moment. Was it the hammering that was off or her heartbeat? They should match. It was wrong that they didn’t.

“To be fair that’s the nature of things. I don’t think anyone ever really wins. You just sort of get a break. Good and bad can’t exist without the other. When we get rid of something bad it just makes room for something waiting to take it’s place.” Calan considers what he’s said. “At the end of the day as long as I don’t have to become the things we are trying to stop I will keep fighting. I love our tribe, I love the people we dwell with. This place is important to them so it’s important to me.” He paused. “To be honest I think that’s all there is to it for anyone. I don’t think anyone feels like they belong or have a reason to stay unless they decide they do.” He shrugs. “I don’t know it made sense when I was thinking about it.”

‘it makes sense when those who I care about are actually here’ she wants to say but doesn’t, she didn’t want to start this fight again. “I suppose you’re right. Still though, if we follow that logic, then we should be winning too a heck of a lot more.” She thought for a moment and then shook her head. “What brings you here? Is it just for the peace of mind?”

“You’re not wrong, we need some wins.” He looked about. “Nothing really brought me here per say, I was just walking about. I need to clear my mind. I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere in the libraries. How about you what brings you here?”

“Mmmm yes, Jinn did tell me about you getting your first student and major command. Congratulations on that by the way. You’ve earned it.” She gave Calan a genuine grin that hopefully showed that she really was happy for him. She knows how much he’s been wanting an oprtunity for a while.

“Really I need to get away from Jinn for a bit.” She grumbled, “But I placed an order for a new weapon and it should be ready here soon. It wasn’t until I got here that I started to remember the good old days. I’m in no real rush to leave. Though I am excited for this weapon. It’s my own special way of treating myself after working so hard over the winter.”

After passing House Therion Jinn walks past the blacksmith forge on his way to the tavern. Spotting what looks to be a mild heart to heart between his two friends, he decides to keep moving. The tavern is calling his name.

“Hard work is always worth celebrating; speaking of I ought to get back to what I was doing. If you want to feel like there is a reason to stay. Throw yourself into something. Any time you go somewhere new you don’t have a reason to stay unless you find a reason yourself. Who knows maybe before long you’ll have a student yourself, or perhaps you’ll become Evos right hand and eventual replacement. I do think they prefer scholars for that job.”

Rohnan laughed at the idea of her being a member of any penta or even leading it. “There are much better people to choose for that then me. Not that I don’t think that I won’t ever be capable, I’m just not sure if that’s the right path for me.” She thought for a moment. “But being in here has me thinking... are you heading back to the library? I have some research of my own to do.”

Rohnan grumbled under her breath and sighed, “Well I’ll head with you then I have some research of my own to do and if you would like me to help with you with yours, I’ll be nearby.”

“Seems reasonable, I plan to Portal to Calanhelm for a day or two to seed the library there. It occurs to me that we were given info on the golden Apple so perhaps leaving notes in books to do with that might increase the chance of it being seen. Seeding more than one library could be of use too.”

Calan kicks at some dust on the ground.

“we can wait here for a bit if you need to put in an order.”

“Mmmm. The order is in, I can always get it later. I was planning on looking in Calanhelm too. Plus I’m wanting to check with the Archmage and see if he’s had the opportunity to talk with Zanthia yet about me learning earth magic.” Her voice grew dark, “I’m not stepping foot on another battlefield without the ability to heal.”

Calan nods in agreement. “I mean that was the whole point of me getting the spell store, I suppose I could get a second one for healing in a pinch. I know at some point I’ll want to learn the lowest level healing spells for emergencies. I don’t know how many times we run off into the reaches and have almost no healing with us. Seems needlessly dangerous. “

Calan folds his arms and drums his fingers on his sides.
“How about a drink before we research.”

“Yes, a drink does sound good. And then books.” She sighed, “the good news is that after all my useless studying all winter I know the Sanctum’s library fairly well.” Rohnan headed outside, the wrong noise was starting to get to her anyway.

Calan nods. And follows her away.

Rohnan reenters the building and picks up the weapon that she came for before and quickly turned and left after examining it and leaving a nice tip. It turned out better than she hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back