August Event Musings

TCPlot

Wow, what a weekend. I am still having a site-gasm over the new cabins and mod sites. The new site is just plain epic. This is truly the promised land we have been striving to reach since the inception of the chapter. The pavilion worked for a tavern, and the fire bowl, chapel, and little town were all simply fantastic. The best part is that there are still more iconic areas to host mods on this end of the camp. I believe that I speak for everyone when I say that I really want this to be our current site for every event that we run. The only way we can truly do this is to keep the involvement in the chapter high. If anyone has any friends they have been trying to get to come to events now is the time to bring them.

From a social perspective I felt like I was surrounded by friends, or better yet family, all weekend long. I got to meet new friends, and I got to welcome back old friends. The amount of camaraderie and good sportsmanship was at a level unlike anything I remember seeing. This is truly what this game is supposed to embody.

From an event perspective I was completely in awe of how many different thumbprints that I saw from people who came together to make this event happen. I have to thank Bev and her family, Derek, Sterling, Dave and Amy, Long and Allard and still so many more. So many people contributed to different aspects of the weekend that it was like watching an orchestra come together. Everywhere I looked there was just a ton of awesome going on.

As with all things there was a measure of bad to go along with the good of the weekend. Perhaps the word bad isn't even the correct word to use, but there is one thing we are still short on for our chapter. We still need more plot members and event runners. There is only so much that the current plot team can do. My ultimate goal is to have no down time, no prep time for mods, and no mods where people feel like they are not able to contribute. The only way to do this is to have more people capable of running mods and plots. With 2-3 more runners monster camp could be a well-oiled machine. If anyone knows a person who wants to join plot please send them my way. I am not afraid of headhunting talent. Each event is an opportunity to top the last one, and I need more people to do that. Consider this the official call-to-arms for the chapter.

That being said I am extremely happy with this past event. It was my first event as head plot and I had high expectations for it and the plot team. I appreciate everyone who helped create the event, and all who played it. I hope that everyone had as good of time as I did, because I truly had a blast. I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Robert Ordiway
Alliance Traverse Head of Plot

HOLY CATS, GUYS! AMAZING EVENT!!!

Rob, you hit the nail on the head; this Campsite is absolutely gorgeous! The Cabins were soo incredibly nice, the Pavilion was amazing, the little town area was awesome, and the fire bowl / arena thing was OUT OF HAND awesomeness!

Big props to all you guys on Plot!! You guys did an amazing job for your first event, for sure! Heck, you did an amazing job for a seasoned Plot team too! Trying to entertain a group of high level PCs and a group of lower level PCs is always a challenge and you guys did great! I had an absolute blast and cant wait for October (cant make it to September, unfortunately :( ).

As with any and all Plot teams, there is always something to learn from an event. I am very glad that you guys are receptive to suggestions and are striving to make your events the best that they can be. This was a great event and all I can see are even GREATERERER events to come! I cant wait!!!

HIGHLIGHTS:

1.) Durk riding Zane vs. The Answerer
2.) The Golem Building Mod Thingy! (Me and Zane thought we were gonna DIE! INTENSE!!!)
3.) Fighting Mike Long with a Shield
4.) AMAZING FOODS AS ALWAYS!!!
5.) The bad King's never-ending ability to be a Wussy and leave all his lackeys to die in his stead
6.) Taking gold from Kristian in Dragon Poker
7.) The Pants Thief

See you guys in October!

GJ

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I did have a blasty-blast! This is the first time I have ever traveled out of chapter and was honestly and pleasantly surprised by the mods, the people, the great food and the especially beautiful and scenic locations- people underestimate how much the scenery can add to the game.

I took some really nice pictures but have yet to get them off the camera- when I do, where shall I send them?

Thanks again to the staff, players and to the NPC's for a great time, and I really hope to be out there again soon!

~Kristy (Kilani de Pit Fighter!!)

I heard a few people talking about renting the small cabins with 2 to 3 bunks in them.... Bev mentioned they did not have a pricing scenario for this yet, but I wondered if there was interest from the PCs. Also Bev mentioned that someone should be taking over the 2nd logistics for her in the future, which will make game play much more seamless. I only wonder if there is not someone out there willing to do the full of logistics to free Bev up a little more entirely. Bev has set a high standard to live up to, but I would be willing to help at the events I can make it to.

I loved the phys repping and make-up this weekend. 95% of the mods and battles were phys repped and looked GREAT. I loved the flame tabards and HOLY AWESOME MUMMY...how long did that take to get into?

New NPCs you were awesome and full of energy.... OLD NPCs you were scary!!!

Thank you to Plot and NPCs for being flexible. I felt any change of plan was handled well and I never felt like I was putting you out asking for a mod or some RP. As Rob said, with a little larger plot time, I bet down time could be cut significantly and we could have more variety than just "town mods."

Thank you PCs for staying in game and for mostly holding to the smoking restriction. Also PCs thank you for taking the time to explain to NPCs the proper incants, and verbals for PTD skills. Though remember this is not a true hold, it is good manners not to beat on a NPC while a PC is explaining in-game mechanics.

The site was amazing, but I do not think we can count on higher attendance alone to make up for the cost. I think a $5 or $10 cost increase might be in order especially when you consider that your food is taken care of in-game. Most other places I play are $40 to $50 with an additional $10 to $20 in food.

Could you give us the procedures for IBGA? and maybe any restrictions. I know before we were only suppose to do 1 IBGA per period between games, is that still the case.... who do we send it to? Also I have a slight criticism of the former policy, many of the local players were able to come and in essence do multiple IBGA and mini-RP sessions with plot, while far away players were limited to one IBGA submission with out the benefit of the RP. It would be nice if those mini-RP sessions were booked as mod-days and far away players had the ability to blanket them as well. Just a thought.

I heard someone bring up the fishbowl....does that still exist? If so, it should probably be covered every PC talk. Also, while on the topic of PC talk... I do not think petrify is "non-standard," but it is rare enough to warrant a mention, like that it was ELDRITCH FORCE effect and that it could be cured by dispel and purify (the purify part might not even be right, but that is how I was playing it)

I realize I have thrown out a lot of criticism, please understand that I try not to criticize unless I have a solution to offer. Also, I had a GREAT time and can not wait to get back to TC, though I already know I can not do Sept or Oct =(. I just had a long time to think on the drive home alone yesterday and these were some things I came up with.

Many thanks to all,
Daver

You bring up some great points Dave. As head of plot I want to comment on IBGA's and fishbowls.

Right now we are still using the current system of IBGA's with the submission form on the website. However, anybody who knows me knows that my personal feelings on IBGA's are that they should be a segue for an encounter that happens on site. I personally dislike non-event gameplay and RP. I want as much stuff as possible to actually happen at game. Therefore I would like to see IBGA's written in a format that would facilitate an encounter could happen on site. For example, instead of saying I am going to talk to X NPC to get information, I would rather see a person send a request to see that NPC next market day. However, we still need to discuss what the IBGA policy will be, so until then continue using the current policy.

Fishbowls still exist, but we are trying to create in game mechanics to cover up their existence. If you have heard of the Merchants of Luminon seeking shards, or if you have heard about Tri-Pointe hiring adventurers you have seen the fishbowl mechanic at work. One of our goals as a plot team is to make it harder to see the the man behind the curtain so to speak. Now we just need more runners to make the fishbowl plots more readily available. Do I sound like a broken record on this yet? If not don't worry I will until I get my runners. :p

On a side note, I also agree with you how great everyone was in teaching the new players. That was good sportsmanship at its finest.

I had a GREAT time at the event!

Plot team: Great job on running your first event! There was a lot going on and I felt like I was kept busy for the majority of the event. I could tell that you took a great deal of time preparing for the event. I like that you used a few different locations for the mods and I am excited to see even more of the camp next time! Good work!

Bev: As always, logistics was well organized and efficient. I appreciate all of the hard work you do as an owner outside of the actual event to make sure everything runs smoothly. Your ability to field questions and concerns throughout the event is amazing! Also, thank you for securing the nice cabins/camp area for the event. Real bathrooms are AWESOME! I am defiently interested in using the small cabins Dave mentioned and would have no problem paying more for events to make that happen.

Npcs: Thank you all for working so hard this weekend. I know for many of you it was your first or second event and and you did a great job taking everything in stride! It is not easy for anyone when you first start playing the game and everyone seemed to be open to constructive criticism and learning the mechanics of the game. It can be frustrating learning the game and keeping a positive attitude can make all the difference between having a good or bad time. Thank you all again!

Pc's: As always, thank you all for the great RP. Overall, everyone did a great job staying in game. A HUGE thank you to everyone who put effort into your costuming. One of my favorite aspects of the game is costuming and the ambiance it helps create and I greatly appreciate the Pc's who take pride in what they are wearing. A big shout out to Wes (Percy)for the pants conundrum! Figuring out what happened to Ashnar's pants was the highlight of my weekend. Pc on Pc conflict is an important and challenging part of the game that we don't see nearly enough and I applaud you for creating such an interesting and well thought out mystery.

Tavern Keeps: I love you and your food is amazing :wub2: Thank you for all of your hard work!

See you all in October!
~Alison

P.S. What is a fishbowl?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I had a blast at this event. The new campsite is amazing and I plan on coming up as much as I can because I can only see things getting better. Plot team, you did awesome! I loved feeling challenged and feeling like I really had to bring my A game. Food! Oh my god food! I'm so glad I forgot to pack food because I don't think I've ever eaten so well at an event. I can't wait for the next time I can ride up and play again.

All that being said, I just want to thank Steve for going along so well with my stealing his pants and I want to thank everyone else for enjoying the situation so much. That experience was everything I could have wanted and more.

I can't wait for my next chance to steal the pants of the good folk of Horn's End.
Thank you all again,
Wes (Percival)

Hey All

Had fun. Long, bombs for breakfast? I love you. I really enjoyed the new npcs (didn't catch his name, but the new guy that played the hobling golem maker was fantastic. I hope him and that character return!). Highlight of the weekend: Catching Edrick after too escapes, after hard fought battle and diplomatic dealings. Though the teaser hinted at an omen and I didn't hear or see any.

My only complaint was the lack of smaller mods. Having town mods is great for the "main event" per say. There needs to be a lot more focus in smaller group mods. There was another event about this time last year (where I npc'd) that we seemed to have 3 runners but only 1 thing happening at a time. We had 4 runners? Seemed like we had a decent amount of npcs as well.

The site was nice, but it has some flaws as well.

1) It is expensive. I am not too keen on the price going up to play.

2) We cannot rent it for our entire season. May through what July is Boy Scout Summer Camp.

3)I felt boxed in. Parking lot, dog show wasn't as far away as I thought it might be, and what not. Felt like if you weren't walking straight towards the chapel/fire bowl, you were walking out of bounds, per say. Maybe I am just used to really no other life forms in our normal site.

Back