Ban Latex Weapons

KaiLan said:
Gwendara said:
P.S. - I think, but don't quote me, almost all latex weapons are now coated with some sort of sealant which is not latex based so people with latex allergies shouldn't be affected unless the weapon is torn.

I also found this in the weapons I looked into today.

I wasn't asking to be a jerk, btw, just asking because I have a bad latex allergy and want to know what I need to do to keep myself safe. I don't really care one way or another whether people use them or not. I guess I had thought maybe in chapters that allowed them, latex sensitive people could wear a red armband or something so people would know not to rub their weapons all over you, but if I just need to stay away from them, that works too. Just trying to be informed.

You totally quoted me. I'm gonna sand the coating off my latex weapon and rub it all over ya! :twisted:

But seriously, it won't hurt to try and let people know that you are allergic even if their weapons are coated. I certainly would be more careful around people with allergies.

Duke Frost said:
mikestrauss said:
Sorry for starting the thread. In some ways I have come around 180 degrees on this matter, though not due to this discussion.

I still am not fond of latex and if they end up being rare, I certainly won't be upset. That said, I was reminded, in a very unusual way, that this is a game and I'd rather roll with the changes than alienate friends or stop doing something I love.

See you all in the spring.

-MS

I just ordered 50 of them for npc camp...

:shock: If you arent pulling his leg, where did you order them from? I'd like to get a few myself.

90%... oh wait no 99% of what Scott posts on these boards is sarcastic... ;)

I think he was probably joking. But it would be awesome looking!

Actually, only about 50% is sarcastic. 50% is useful-ish.

It was a joke. We don't have the cash to order 50...yet. That would be like $2500, which would make some more important upgrades at the FP site.

I'm also thinking as people buy and try out different latex weapons, some companies will become standard and accepted, perhaps even by people and chapter that are against them currently. But then again, I like it when the game hurts. Makes me feel like I'm really living the adventure. Ask some of the HQ elves about our trek up the mountain through the pricker bushes last season. It was awesome. And yes, I know not everyone feels that way, but there needs to be a middle ground overall with optional stuff for both extremes thrown in for flavor. I don't really see latex as an extreme though, especially without further experience. A lot of people are running off fear right now and anecdotal experience, not off more solid evidence.

Scott

My only question is. How well does the old school reps hold up when hit but the new ones? Does anyone "KNOW" from having played a game with them maybe at a diff larp ?

They sure do look nice and I hope they work out. It will be nice to know that i can buy a few of the same sword rep so i always have a good one at a event. I break a rep about once a year. ( mostly by falling on them )

Also I have been hit with them there are imo just like a normal rep and it is more up to the user how hard they hit.

Tim

See ya'ALL in the spring.

Ironleaf said:
My only question is. How well does the old school reps hold up when hit but the new ones? Does anyone "KNOW" from having played a game with them maybe at a diff larp ?

They sure do look nice and I hope they work out. It will be nice to know that i can buy a few of the same sword rep so i always have a good one at a event. I break a rep about once a year. ( mostly by falling on them )

Also I have been hit with them there are imo just like a normal rep and it is more up to the user how hard they hit.

Tim

See ya'ALL in the spring.

I've played in mixed-type games before. The latex weapons will not smash your boffers to bits, nor will the boffers batter your latex weapons to scrap. They're both designed to hit humans, after all.

Duke Frost said:
Actually, only about 50% is sarcastic. 50% is useful-ish.

It was a joke. We don't have the cash to order 50...yet. That would be like $2500, which would make some more important upgrades at the FP site.

I'm also thinking as people buy and try out different latex weapons, some companies will become standard and accepted, perhaps even by people and chapter that are against them currently. But then again, I like it when the game hurts. Makes me feel like I'm really living the adventure. Ask some of the HQ elves about our trek up the mountain through the pricker bushes last season. It was awesome. And yes, I know not everyone feels that way, but there needs to be a middle ground overall with optional stuff for both extremes thrown in for flavor. I don't really see latex as an extreme though, especially without further experience. A lot of people are running off fear right now and anecdotal experience, not off more solid evidence.

Scott

Post derail.

The trek up the mountain through the pricker bushes was awesome. Bloody, but awesome - and from what I remember, my fault, since I was leading during that time... :lol:

I hope we do that again this year, Scott..and many more elfy things. I'm still glad to this day that your practice in roller derby allowed me to not be seriously injured ;)

We now return to your regularly scheduled posting.
-Ali

Back