Barbarians, take heed!

Von Raven

Artisan
Brave ones,

I have learned the locations of some of our imprisoned people whom have not yet been taken back to Jotunheim! I also learned how we may take steps to find out a way to Asbrand's Well where we shall learn the secrets of making the Chain. When next we meet in Fairdale in the coming weeks, I shall explain about the Road of Ravens and all else!

Until then, beware of the Bear and let no Jotun scum take you!

Bijorgrin

----------------

Good news. Where'd'you learn it? Waiting eagerly for more. Last gather proved we won't let Jotuns get the better of us if we've got any say. 'M I right, or 'm I right?

Jorunn,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of stealth and haste. I've been around for long, long years and...well, let's just say that I haven't been very popular among our people. I was once a hero--in fact, you may say that I was the very first Vansir hero--but then turned to villainy and now...well, who knows now? These days, I find myself caught between the hammer and the anvil, with all hearts turned against me.

I am very old--even by elven standards--and privy to many mystical secrets when it comes to the Vansir. I have walked beside Wyrdin and gleamed some of his galdr lore. So, I know how to discover hidden things and how to pluck them out for my purposes.

I will explain more when we meet at the gathering.

Until then, stay strong and proud!

Bijorgin

-----------------------

Bijorgrin, you dung eating worm! What are you doing here?
Never mind, you won't tell me the truth anyway.
Keep that slimy tongue of yours away from our young!

Jorunn, he is also known as Bijorgrin the Treacherous- if you've forgotten the story from your childhood, I'm sure someone can remind you. He probably knows where our people are being held because the Jotuns let him know so he could bring them more before they left. His words are sweet, but so are many poisons. I would sooner trust a weasel to guard my hens.

Of course, you should try to rescue our people. Just watch your back.

...and, why do we need to go to the well to learn about the chain?

-Kremhild of Snake Tribe

Kremhild.

Ouch! But I suppose I had that coming.

But, let us speak true...I did admit to turning to villainy...so give me my due there.

As for my purpose here in these lands...sadly, the Great Battle is finally upon us. The Vra have fallen, so have The Einherjar. My heroic brothers of legend are missing or captured. The Jotuns have freed the Arturan Bear at last and it comes for us all. You see, the Jotuns no longer have any use for me and have turned against me, stripped me of my spirit form that has served me so well for those long, long years...sought to make me a slave. I died fleeing from them and chose to resurrect in Fairdale so that I may warn the Vansir of the invading Jotun army and of the Bear itself! They would see us finally all returned to slavery, for our escape has long been a stain upon their honor.

You need me because I am the only one who knows how to save us all! And one thing you can trust...is that I am self serving and since my interests and yours are now one, you may count on me...as our people once did, when I stole the secret of steel from the Jotuns and helped lead our people from slavery!

I shall explain more at the next gathering.

And noble, brave Kremhild...I always watch my back.

Bijorgin, the No-Longer-Trecherous

------------------------------

Bijorgin? That Bijorgin?
Don't know much about the old lore, but I know that name and I know I'm not supposed to trust it. What're we meant to do? How can anyone go by anything you say? Has to be another way to find our people. Right?

...Right?

Kremhild has a good point: going to a well to learn about the chain seems... not-so-right.

Bijorgrin!

He has a serpent's tongue and a mouth full of venomous lies! He is a wicked trickster, the worst of our kind!

Let me tell you a tale of his trickery, one that I witnessed myself...and one that is true, I swear by Land and Sky, By Fire and Water!

I was a young lad, not the silver-haired and scarred warrior that I am now, when a Vansir came to our village. He did not stay and accept hospitality, which was strange for one of our own to do, but just walked through our village. He wore the strangest hat...it was red on one side and blue on the other. He passed between two homes, the owners of which had never been the best of neighbors and made better enemies. They were Ulgrot and Seigrond. In fact, that night before the stranger came, Ulgrot and Seigrond had finally made peace between them.

Both men happened to be out front of their homes, when the stranger passed between them, with his weird hat that was red on one side and blue on the other. Sometime after the stranger left the village, Seigrond looked across to Ulgrot and said, "Did you see that odd hat of that stranger?"

"Aye," Ulgrot replied, "A blue one, not the color I would choose."

Seigrond frowned. "What do you mean? The hat was red, from front to back."

"It was blue...blue as the sky, front to back!"

"Your eyes fail you, Ulgrot, for the hat was red...clear as the sunset is red!"

Ulgrot glowered. "Are you calling me a liar?"

Seigrond shook his head. "Nay, not a liar. Blind, mayhap..."

As you can expect, they got to fighting once more and it was a bitter feud...there was no peace between them for some time...the Brehons had to be summoned to mediate.

That stranger had been Bijorgrin the Treacherous, sure as the sunrise I am!

Trust him not, I say!

----Wulfrig Wolfgut

---------------------

---

Hmmm...

I don't recall that event...sounds like a Skald's tall tale...but then, I do have many hats.

---Bijorgrin The Hatless

--------------------------------------------

You see Jorunn, that is the crux of it all. You have all the elements of the tale before you. An old villian placed on the stage as a friend. Elders who tell you to be wary, and old stories and fables meant to scare you away. You, and the young look for another way, a clean way, that that is refreshing in its own way. But not often true.

You see sometimes, more than we would like to admit, we have to make decisions we find distasteful. Alliances must be made with those you can never fully trust, and often the victory of today plants the seed of tomorrows defeat, but then that is why we are ever vigilant and ever ready for the next fight. I think your people know this better than many...and here now is a chance for Vigilance and courage, action and wisdom all wrapped up in a thin sheet of gift wrap called patience with a bow on it called time.

In a short time all will gather again, then the place will set into motion in earnest I fear. Be ready, always be ready.

Simon

I like you, Simon.

--Bijorgrin the Friend

------------------------------------

My People,

Have any of you ever heard of the Road of Ravens?

---Bijorgrin the Knowledgeable

-----------------------------------------

Brave Jorunn,

You do not know the ancient Lore? I shall tell you, then.

This is the great and unending song of the Vansir, passed down by word of mouth through the centuries, from Fijorm (fee-yorm), the first Lore Keeper. Though much of our Lore was lost when invaders came to drive us from our lands, there is still much wisdom kept by the Lorekeepers. In times long forgotten, the Vansir lived in a chaotic plane known as Jotunheim (yah-tun-hime), under the tyrannical rule of the Jotuns (yah-tuns), a wicked and cruel race of giants. This was before we possessed the secret of steel and wielded only weapons of stone. The Jotuns knew the secret of steel and knew the ways of Galdr (galdar), and used these advantages to keep us under their dominion and forcing us to mine ore, gold and silver for them.

Then all the Vansir came to be united under one banner, Valja (Val-ya) the Strong. It was her might, combined with the wisdom of Wyrdin the Wise that the Thunder tribe, first of all the tribes, was forged. Valja had two sons, Threy and, me, Bijorgrin (Bee-yorgrin). Threy was the strongest of all the Vansir and their greatest warrior. I was was agile and sly and--some say--troublesome.

But it was I, Bijorgrin, who snuck into the Jotun stronghold and tricked the Jotun smith, Goban, into revealing the secret of steel. With this new knowledge, I fled from the castle and returned to the Vansir. Threy was given the first sword of steel and took the fight to the giants. As his victories grew, he became known as Threy the
Jotun-Slayer. In a series of bloody battles, Valja successfully lead the Vansir from Jotunheim into an unfamiliar realm. But the Jotuns were determined not to allow us
to escape very far. The giants sent their mightiest creature, The Arturan Bear, a gigantic, monstrosity of great power, to hunt down the Vansir. Valja knew that her people, even with Threy’s might, lacked the strength and numbers to defeat the legendary Jotun beast. It was only a matter of time before the Arturan Bear would overtake them. Valja chose to
make a stand and die gloriously in battle.

Meanwhile, Wyrdin the Wise had a vision that led him far from the Thunder tribe, to a great mountain. He climbed to its summit and found a huge well, within a short, circular wall of stone. At the well Wyrdin met an old man who called himself Asbrand. Asbrand explained to Wyrdin that he had been called to the Well of Wisdom to receive a gift. He explained that the well contained many secrets.

Wyrdin asked what gift had the well for him and Asbrand replied, “"The knowledge of magic. A most wonderful gift, is it not? What would you give to the Well in exchange? What do you possess that you value greatly,enough to honor the worth of the well’s gift?”"

Wyrdin thought and then replied,"“My right eye.”"

Asbrand accepted and Wyrdin sacrificed his eye andgained the knowledge of earth magics, becoming the first Shaman of the Vansir. Wyrdin returned to the Vansir and
found that no time had passed. He told Valja of his new knowledge and devised a plan to save them from the Arturan Bear. A magical chain of gold was created that
would imprison the beast. While they still would not be able to slay the creature, the chain would bind its power. The only problem was how to get close enough to place
the chain upon the bear.

(chuckles) I came forward and said, “"Leave that to me.”"

As the sun began to set, the Arturan Bear arrived. It called out its challenge.

I approached this stupid Bear and said--if my memory is good--"“Great and Terrible One, we Vansir know that it is futile to flee you. We wish to die gloriously in battle with you and wish to honor our last and greatest foe with a gift."

"“Gift? What gift?”" growled the Arturan Bear. The beast was, like its Jotun creators, a greedy creature.

I replied, "“A magical golden necklace whose radiance will never fade nor will it break. But should you attempt to take it by force, the magic would be dispelled and the necklace would crumble to dust. We would gladly give it you. It would grace so mighty a neck as yours, Oh Powerful One."

I presented the chain. And it was my convincing manner and the sparkling gold that had caught the Bear'’s interest.

“"Very well," “ agreed the Arturan Bear, and so I stepped forward to place the chain around its neck.

Before I drew near, however, the accursed beast growled, "“But before I allow you to place it round my neck, one of you must place their head in my mouth. If there is any
treachery, I will snap the head off at the neck and swallow it whole!”"

I confess to you, Jorunn, that I was caught off guard by this and hesitated.

But one of the Vansir warriors, Ullrig (ool-rig) the Honorable, understood what must be done and stepped forward and offered his head. The Bear agreed and Ullrig placed his head into the monster'’s mouth. I slipped the chain around the beast’s neck and at once, the Arturan Bear sensed that he had been magically imprisoned and his power dimmed. His powerful
jaws closed and tore the head off of Ullrig. Ullrig died his permanent death but the bear was successfully trapped.

At that moment, the Vansir were surrounded by an army of comprised entirely of women, who introduced themselves as the Vra, a race distantly related to the Vansir
and the sworn enemies of the Jotuns. Through magical means, they gathered the willing spirits of valiant warriors who died in battle and from them made the Einherjar (eynhayr-
yar), an army of ghostly heroes dedicated to defeating the Jotuns. They held the Jotun forces in check, keeping them from slipping into other worlds.

The Vra explained that it had ever been the purpose of the Jotuns to find new realms to conquer. The Vra had watched the Vansir’s progress from Jotunheim with growing interest, but then were kept away by the aura of the Arturan Bear. The Vra explained that, in a recent battle with the Jotuns, their queen, Brungelda (broon-gel-da) was killed and they were without a leader. Impressed by Valja'’s leadership and strength, they offered to make her their queen. Valja agreed and took her place as their leader.

The Einherjar were then given a second task. They were to guard the Arturan Bear and keep it from following after the Vansir. But the Vra and the Einherjar knew that
the Jotuns and The Arturan Bear would grow in power and prophesied that the beast would one day be freed and come for the Vansir. To prepare against this day, the Vra
lead the rest of the Thunder tribe, under Threy’'s leadership and Wyrdin’'s guidance, to the world of Tyrra. They tasked the Vansir to grow as a people and achieve acts of glory and bravery, so that when they died their final deaths, they may take their honored place among the Einherjar, strengthening their numbers and prepare for the Grand Battle.

Well, Jorunn, that prophesied day has come. The Vra and the Einherjar are defeated and the evil Jotuns have freed the Arturan Bear...the Grand Battle is coming.

-Bijorgrin the Loremaster

------------------------------------------

Lots to think over, but makes things make a little more sense now. Never had much of a chance to learn all of the lore, and for that much I thank you. So many people telling me so many things, but... maybe Simon is right.

Need to think. Lots to consider. But, thank you. I understand so much more now.

Then I am pleased, Jorunn.

Will you be at the next gathering, so that you can help me?

--Bijorgrin

-------------------------------------

Aye, I'll be there. You can count on it.

I suspect little more than lies and deceit from the likes of you, Bijorgrin. That little more is what I shall listen for. Even a hated enemy is entitled to hospitality, by Vansir custom, and you shall have it from me. How long it lasts will be based on the quality of your words.

Telokh the Wyss

Well, spoken, Telokh...and well deserved.

All will be revealed.

----Bijorgrin the Regretful

----------------------------------------------------

My Brothers and Sister in Glory,

Our heroes' journey has begun!

Remember: We must find our way to The Road of Ravens, the path through the Enchanted Mists that will take us to Asbrand's Well...but we must first venture to the plane of Arathil , to the Mound of Statues, the dark lair of Queen Scawhokh of the Evil Eye, ruler of the dreaded Slawtozigs, for she alone knows the way to the Road of Ravens, now that Good Wyrdin is lost to us. But when Scawhokh opens her third eye, none can withstand it, ere they are turned to stone, to join the every growing collection of statues that decorate her Mound-lair!

I know of only one thing that may safeguard us, the Torch of Anzünden, whose light will protect us from the petrifying gaze of the Scawhokh 's Eye. But I know not where to find the Torch...you and I, all of us, must seek it!

I only know that Anzünden lives on Arathil , that he is one of the fabled Áes en Vonnin, the ancient foes of the Jotuns...the very enemies who drove the giants from Arathil ...sending them fleeing to the hated plane we now call Jotunheim!

And the Slawtozigs are foes to both...to all!

So, seek your Lorekeepers, your non-Vansir sages and learned friends, have them search their dusty shelves,have your mage friends scry and seek the information we need!

Let us make haste! Let our deeds write a new Saga to be sung by the Skalds forever more! Immortal Glory awaits us!

Bijorgrin the Inspired

--------------------------------------------------------------

I ain't no vansir but this trickster fella seems to be reliable for one thing, savin his own ***. I am concerned that He likes Simon that can't be a good sign (huge goodhearted dwarven laugh followed by a belch). I say ya throw some kinda woogie geas on em. So like if he betrays yer people he's obliterated or can wear furs or somethin. If he has one hand out asking for help maybe manicle it till yer stuffs sorted. One thing is true ...jotun are dicks. Kill em all

Grim

Grim,

Your merry tone is in contrast with your name, like the burning touch of ice upon flesh. It can confuse people. I like that.

-Bijorgrin the Jotun-Trickster

-------------------------------

Back