Best Class level 10-20 and leading beyond

KevinGreen said:
Good morning all,

Question is: Best or most enjoyable class 10-20
Follow up question: What best converts into the best most enjoyable class 20 and beyond

I wanted to ask this question to get as many perspectives as possible, before choosing the route I am taking. I completely understand the concept of playing whatever I think I will have most fun with and I plan to do so, but for myself as a player I also want to be effective and this will add to my enjoyment. I ultimately want to end up as a one of the following three:

Adept
Scout
Fighter (Not sure if this is viable 10-20 and then beyond)
Earth Templar

I was looking at the ability to change your class eventually, but not sure how much difference that would make to me.

Would love the heard peoples input on this.

Thanks!

Kevin Green

Earth Templar...hands down. You get the best of both worlds, as you use your range to hit your opponents before they hit you and you get melee as well to block when they come in. Doesn't matter if you are solo or travel with a group, either way you can hold your own. With the right amount of skills you can handle any thing. Magic items although fun and easy for you to cast (if they are earth/universal), not necessary for your survival. You are a one man army getting stronger as your build gets higher.

Almost forgot. Whatever you do don't play a scout.

High level scholars who have a valid fighting style and mix it up in combat can be fun. But, I wouldn't say they are unbeatable. I miss my parries big time in certain fights.

High magic is awesome... but If I could even burn 10 high magic points for a parry I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Stephen

RiddickDale said:
High level scholars who have a valid fighting style and mix it up in combat can be fun. But, I wouldn't say they are unbeatable. I miss my parries big time in certain fights.

High magic is awesome... but If I could even burn 10 high magic points for a parry I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Stephen

Templar... Parry and spells with HM

Gilwing said:
RiddickDale said:

Stephen

I would think Adept would be better if you're going for High Magic + Survivability. Dodges are the same cost for an Adept as Parries for a Templar, and they (Dodge, that is) can be used without a weapon in hand against many more things.

Gilwing said:
RiddickDale said:

Stephen

That's fair.... but I have grown very attached to my huge pyramid. I'd lose a lot of that to go templar.

You are probably right though.

Stephen

Parry can be more useful than dodge in certain circumstances (really depends on if you want to defend yourself or someone else). I've done the ol' Parry/Spellshield for friends in the past when the spellstrikes are flyin'.

Toddo said:
Parry can be more useful than dodge in certain circumstances (really depends on if you want to defend yourself or someone else). I've done the ol' Parry/Spellshield for friends in the past when the spellstrikes are flyin'.

You can use Parry against spell strikes? And here I thought you could only use it against non-spell attacks (Spell Parry being an exception, naturally). The things you learn...

You can parry for someone else, but you'd take the spellstrike instead. I suppose you could parry a spellstrike that hit you, but it'd be useless.

These is also a 'spellpary' enchantment that allows you to call parry against regular spell attacks. But it is still true that there are lots of things you can use Dodge against that you can't use Parry or even SpellParry against. (Arcane, Elemental, Poison ext ext)

The spellpary enchantment was also recently updated so that you can spellpary for other people standing next to you even against spells like the way you could parry slays/eviscerates for people standing next to you.

Toddo said:
This is why I have both.

Oh wait, Scouts suck. Sorry, Gary, I forgot for a moment. Yes, don't play one. Biggest mistake I've ever made.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
Toddo said:
This is why I have both.

Oh wait, Scouts suck. Sorry, Gary, I forgot for a moment. Yes, don't play one. Biggest mistake I've ever made.

And don't you forget it.

Seems like fighter to start and possibly celestial templar to do the golem thing at a much higher level might be the way to go, hard to say at this point.

Scouts honestly seems like the best overall effectiveness to build if you can do the rogue thing, I think the rogue piece would be lost to me based on my size and hatred for running for pretty much anything...Other than pie, cookies or possibly magic items.

I love all the feedback though, thanks so much everyone!

Kevin

I know there is probably some humor behind the scout sucks thing, to which i'm sure I had to be there to get it. At least for me, I don't see any hybrid being good in the 10-20 level range due to the fact that it's a hybrid and they don't start becoming good until 30+ imho.

I still have trouble seeing scout being good pre-level 30 personally. With maybe the exception of going with a 2-hander, it just seems like you are a weaker rogue, or a weaker fighter.

Then again its only my opinion, and i'm sure there are better min/maxer's then me out there that could prove me wrong.

RiddickDale said:

Stephen

Skill Stores will get you parries in wearable form. High Magic only comes from build. :thumbsup:

Wraith said:
RiddickDale said:

Stephen

Skill Stores will get you parries in wearable form. High Magic only comes from build. :thumbsup:

Skill stores aren't an answer to a build issue. They aren't exactly easy to come buy (not to mention that they are times ever).

I can get a few parries when I get lucky. But, I'll be damned if I'll actually burn a skill store scroll and make anything other than a Dodge with it.

It actually can be a reasonable move to burn a skill store scroll to store a Parry now if you have a Spell Parry weapon to store it onto. The reason is that you can use a Spell Parry to block a 'Magic obliterate' or 'Magic Shatter Spirit' that hits a friend next to you who doesn't have a spellshield. Yes Dodge is the best if you want the best personal protection, but skill store parry can actually do something that a skill store dodge can't if you have a Spell Parry item to pair it with! :thumbsup:

Another one of the big reasons I am a big fan of the update that lets you call a spell parry for someone close by the same way you have always been able to call parry.

Postby RiddickDale » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Stephen

I don't do High Magic yet, but if I understand correctly that is about the cost of a parry for a High Orc or Ogre:

10 high magic points = 30 build for a scholar = 1 hypothetical parry per 2 days (since high magic gives one per weekend).

2 weapon profs and a parry = 88 build for a scholar = 2 parries per 2 days.

For a High Orc/Ogre: 2 weapon profs and a parry = 58 build for a scholar = 2 parries per 2 days.

Patrick

When I see the question - best class for leveling, I can't help think WoW and finding groups and solo questing and stuff. In Alliance, I'd say fighter.

You already saw from the posts on this thread, fighters have no trouble finding groups. Fighters are also potent on their own. If you're in a wave battle with no friends around you, a fighter is a pretty good thing to be.

I'd say the best class is the one you're most successful at alongside of your group.

If you're a terrible stick-jock, mebbe you won't have so much fun as a fighter, but pegging people with packets. And maybe you've got terrible aim with packets, but you're quick on your feet. Maybe you're neither of these, and your best place is keeping the stick-jocks going.

So I don't think I'd encourage any particular class, but I prefer educating people about what their class is capable of at X tier, and let them choose what's best for them. :D

Back