Biata eyebrows

MKing

Scout
Ok, whats the best why you know how to put them on and take them off...I am thinking about play one and would like to keep my own eyebrows :D

thanks,

-Matt K.

The best way is put the feathers on is right above your own eyebrows.

The feathers should cover most if not all of the eyebrows.

I remove the feathers by starting at the base of the feather and peeling them off rather than starting at the tip and risk damaging part of the feather.

Hope this helps.

Jim

For a while I used "Lash Grip" -- the latex stuff they use to put on fake eyelashes. You can find it in Walmart near the fake nails/eyelash section. Even if you get it in your eyebrows it just, usually, peals out. Lash Grip doesn't hold well in the heat I've found though so you have to re-apply them occasionally. Even when I put the latex in my eyebrows as long as I pulled the feathers off with the grain and gently pulled the latex out I didn't lose any hair.

Lately I've taken to making my feathers slightly wider than my own eyebrows and using Spirit Gum just above my own eyebrows and letting them lie over my own... its not as hidden as I could get with lash grip but they stay on FOREVER.

If you can find a feather typr called a hackle pad, they are the best for use as a base feather. They are backed with a piece of cloth that makes a good surface for sticking to your face. If you make the base about twice as wide as your own eyebrow and only put spirit gum on the upper half you can cover your entire real eyebrow with the bottom half while still having enough surface area on top to keep it stuck in place. Add other feathers on top of that base for more colors. Don't go too crazy adding extra feathers or you'll wind up with the eyebrows looking very thick. Sleek and well groomed are the operative words for Biata eyebrows. You don't want them too bushy or you'll look like a feathery Hobling or a feather duster.

duct tape. I kid you not. Workds like a damn charm. you fold it over twice so its a thin strip, and it works great. Easy on, easy off. The major downside is that replacing the duck tape strips tends to f-up the feathers, so every third event you will find yourself replacing the feathers.
--bill

PS: been doing it this way for close to 6 years.

Over the years I've tried a number methods for making biata eyebrows with mostly usccessful results. My goals has always been to go a bit thin and sleek but colorful, that way they are quite noticeable but also not in the way. I tend to use softer, even fluffier feathers. The kind you pick up in a fabric store that people sew into stage costuming. I just think they look more actually birdlike. I attach them to a base of some kind and then spirit gum that to my brow right above my actual eyebrows. In all the years I've been playing Nic I've never had a problem with it ripping up my eyebrows when I peel it off, but make sure you sitck them above the actual hairs. Here are the three backings I've experimented with over the years:

1) Double sided tape. I used these for my earliest eyebrows, the kind of double sided tape a lot of costumers will use to make sure certain low cut dreses stay closed. It did work very well. I never had a problem with the brows coming off except in one torrential rainstorm. They looked pretty good and because the tape was clear it also looked pretty natural. The one down side, from time to time I found the tape uncomfortable. Not very, but it was there.

2) Black cloth/rose petals! This actually came out of an ig plot wherein Nic became infused with an earth spirit, namely the spirit of the black rose. As part of the ig effect I started lacing black roses throughout my costume, the cheesey cloth kind you pick up in bulk around halloween. About that time I found that if I pulled individual "leaves" off the roses they made perfect backings for my feathers. And I do mean the leaves, not the petals. They're very soft, and blend well with both the feathers and naturally dark eyebrows. Most recetly, I've made two very durable pairs of these black petal based brows by applying and coating the feathers entirely with rubber cement. It dries clear, and leaves the feathers arching out in sleek, tight points. I've been able to reuse these eyebrows day after day and it doesn't look like I'll need to make new ones anytime soon.

3) Same as number 2, except as a backing I sliced a latex elf ear along it seams to make two, slightly curved backing that arcehd quite naturally over the brow. Worked well, but in the end I think I like the cloth petals better.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the tips, if theres more keep'em coming...never have too many ideas...

thanks again

Matt K.

I actually get my feathers now from sport supply stores like Gander Mountain or Dicks-- in the fly-fishing section they have hackle feathers in all manner of colors. They also have Biots which are the nice trailing thin feathers that looks so elegant on people. They're remarkably cheap compared to some of the costume/art supply shops I've found them at and the color selection (in stock!) was phenomenal in all the stores I visited.

I tend to pick a white canvas cloth and cut thin strips of arched cloth and Lash Grip the trimmed feathers to it so I can control how thick it looks and how natural they lie. Then eithes Spirit Gum or Lash Grip them to your head.

I used the same technique to make my "Feather Beard" which seems to be a hit in Ohio... :)
I love wearing me some feathers. braided in the hair, growing out of my beard/temple area.. over the eyes...
its good to be a Biata.
:)

I sometimes use spirit gum, but lately I'm wondering if Larpax (the adhesive I use for my fox mask) will hold better.

Granted I'm trying to lessen any racial malfunctions by having feathers fall off.

JIM

kitsune85 said:
I sometimes use spirit gum, but lately I'm wondering if Larpax (the adhesive I use for my fox mask) will hold better.

Granted I'm trying to lessen any racial malfunctions by having feathers fall off.

JIM

Just remember to put the Larpax on the night before. Putting it on your face wet, especially the eyebrow area, is a recipe for disaster. I put on my sarr mask with the Larpax wet only twice. Once absentmindedly and once out of necessity to get IG quickly. The stuff WILL NOT come off your face if you put it on wet. You need remover to get it off.

That being said, I'm sure Larpax would work well provided that you have some type of backing (cloth, latex, etc) on the feathers. I've used it for ears already and it worked great. Even so, I still use spirit gum when I have to wear biata feathers.

I notice Justin D/Tieran didnt post on here at ALL about how to KEEP HIS FEATHERS ON

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Id say more but I dont need to... esp those who know him

~Erica
(who knows if Justin sees this post he will find a suitable retort.)

Justin has gotten very good compliments about his feathers in the last year.

Plus all I do is wear them.

Scott makes them, Kiersten puts them on.

:)

I like how your face requires an assembly line Justin :).

Whenever I have played a biata I like to do a little shade job with some makeup to make it look real pretty when you put the actual feathers on. That is like, using a cotton swab to wisk some of the same color makeup as your feathers on your brow and temples. This little method of course is dictated by how long your feathers are, and is merely a style tip lol.

As for the actual sticking on of the feathers, I have had very good luck with liquid latex. Smarts a little coming off, but isn't looking hot with feathers on your brow worth that small inconvenience?

Bill is right, I have witnessed the staying power of his duct tape method. It works like a champ!

Peace,

Justin C.

Yup... Duct tape...

dreadpiratebill said:
duct tape. I kid you not. Workds like a damn charm. you fold it over twice so its a thin strip, and it works great. Easy on, easy off. The major downside is that replacing the duck tape strips tends to f-up the feathers, so every third event you will find yourself replacing the feathers.
--bill

PS: been doing it this way for close to 6 years.

Hooray for reading.

Awesome!

You can tell.

Back