Biata/Stone Elf Mental Abilites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phabo

I was reading through the rule book and couldn't find any clarification, nor on these forums: Is there a limit to how many times Mental Abilities can be used in a game day. One of my friends is thinking of playing a Biata and asked that question to me, but I didn't know the answer.

Thanks in advance

Nope, they can be freely used. They're a build related but non-build required "skill". They have absolutely no effect on anything outside of what the players involved agree to.

A Biata can use the skill as many times as they need to. Their ability is limited to the amount of the skill they have bought. It is a role play heavy race so it is expected to role play the stress or pain or emotion of having to impose and or violate another's mind. One should always see it as how would you feel if a stranger did this to you. The role play responce in doing this should be according to what you are doing. for example if you are mending something or just viewing something I always guide people to see and feel it as a sweet bed side manor. Teaching I always do it in showing[talk walking one through it] some very personal and never talked about event that has happened, so the student takes with them something they can feel is special.
Note if you pick for a last name any of the packet listed names you may find yourself thrown into soap opera turmoil. current families connected to the healers guild are merrik, merick,norik ,merdik corak and curak outside of the guild are lovik, lorik, thrommel, vardik, and thardik
I play the guild mistress of the healers guild. I will not be there the first weekend, but I will be there the rest. If you or your friend do choose play a Biata just drop me a line and I will make sure the guild takes you under wing. Ok bad pun we are a enjoy life group death well just happens sometimes.
My email is heidihooper1@gmail.com 1 570 994-6275 If you have any more questions feel free to contact me

The above names and such are all local to the Alliance Ashbury campaign, by the way.

Different chapters will have different plots, racial backgrounds, and suggestions for how one might RP the various mental "skills".

In the end, the only real rules are: You can't use a "skill" you don't have access to, you cannot actually remove build bought abilities or effects caused by build bought abilities, you should not violate any of the alliance core rules (sportsmanship, r***, etc.) and any effect of mental abilities is entirely 'at will' of the recipient(s).

Try to be a good sport and make it an entertaining experience for everyone involved and you'll generally do just fine.

There actually are more specific mechanics than that, at least on some mental abilities, and they do need to be followed, but the descriptions are pretty clear. For example, at least one ability, after use, deals damage to both the mental ability user and the recipient. And another ability explicitly references that it takes as long to use as the memories it is affecting took to make.

But, beyond those types of mechanics, the advice above is pretty much spot on.

-MS

Also keep in mind - if it hasn't already been mentioned - that anyone at any time can refuse mental RP/abilities at any time for any reason (and those choices need to be respected).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back