Blacksmithing Rules Suggestion

Angrydurf

Scholar
So we all know blacksmithing is near and dear to this dwarfs heart, unfortunately its a bit of a red headed stepchild of the production skills.

Issues with blacksmithing:

1)Unsustainable- Blacksmithing products are largly non consumable; armor is breached/destroyed and weapons shattered however this is rare in comparison to use of alchemy/scrolls/potions, This leaves blacksmiths with little reason to use thier production every logistics.

2)"free weapons" - New players are equiped for free with full weapons/armor (at least in every game I've played). this is nice for said newbie but leaves the best source to sell new Weapons to unavailable, aditionally a new fighter with full plate and a sword and shield get that plus as much starting coin as a new mage with staff and no armor. Aditionally mobs that drop weapons quickly eat up what little need there is for new weapons due to shatters etc.

3)armor reset same at 1 blacksmithing as at 30 - no matter how expert you are at blacksmithing its still takes your a full minute to reset armor.

4)Logistics only use - there is no real reason (short the one point reset mentioned above) to have blacksmithing other than to make Items.

Sugggested Rules to fix some of said problems:

1) Consumable blacksmithing Items; Items made by blacksmiths that are consumable lead to a use for production even when weapons/armor are not in demand. Items could include : Reset kit (used to get a reduced reset timer eg. 3 count reset, requires BS 1) , Breach repair kit (repairs armor of one level of breaching, +2 armor if armor has been breached, Requires BS 3? 6?), Sharpening kit (adds +x damage for y time/swings, Requires BS 1 to apply), Perhaps multiple potencies balanced with Vorpals for less +dam but more duration?), Shield spike (Allows for a damage call on a set number of succesfull blocks, 1-5 blocks for like 2-3 damage Requires BS 3 to apply).

2) Coin not Items for New players. A set amount of coin (enough for a starter kit of weapon and some armor) that can then be spent to "gear up" allows a bit more income for smiths and better balance of starter goods between different classes. Eg. caster can buy some starter scrolls/potions, rogues starter alchemy, fighter weapon and armor.

With the consumables smiths would have steady use for thier production and be able to take action during game to utilize their skill and add value to thier place on a Mod particulary for Artisans who rely on Production skills more than IG skills.

Totally think you should. I think it could get somewhere. And I'm not just saying that cuz I'm a blacksmith IG! :p

You better believe she is not! pah! :D

Back