Blacksmithing

how often do those of you who smith make double batches

• Total voters

Dal

My character is a level 1 smith. the quandary I have is if to make him a level 20 smith (I will be one or the other nothing in between nor higher than master).

The specific question is how often do those of you who smith make double batches?

I feel it depends very largely on your local game economy. When in dire need I've seen my local master blacksmith triple batch, especially when things like silver weapons are needed. Conversely I've seen events where blacksmiths do very little but make arrows the entire event. If making money is your goal by blacksmithing then I'd highly recommend it. A commercially driven mind can easily make a pretty penny with the skill.

At Logistics, I handle so many double-triple batches that it's crazy.

Heck, last game I handled a....5 1/2 batch request by a Master Alchemist with a workshop.

It was nuts.

That being said, if an alchemist and a blacksmith team up, you could bulk-sell a whole bunch of vorpal-serious quivers.

Yeah, depends on your local game economy. As the average player level increases, the market for most blacksmith produced goods decreases, as players look to replace physical armor with Arcane Armor and get magic weapons which are no longer breakable.

Arrows and bolts are always useful, but not exactly profitable unless you have a substantial number of local archers. Master Blacksmithing is neat, but at 60 build for most fighters, it is a hard sell against four weapon profincies for usefulness.

I feel it depends very largely on your local game economy. When in dire need I've seen my local master blacksmith triple batch, especially when things like silver weapons are needed. Conversely I've seen events where blacksmiths do very little but make arrows the entire event. If making money is your goal by blacksmithing then I'd highly recommend it. A commercially driven mind can easily make a pretty penny with the skill.

How long does it take to craft something? I've looked in the book, specifically starting at page 55, and didn't notice a time requirement for crafting. Am I missing something?

There isn't a time requirement for crafting, just that you can only craft at Logistics.

Except for rituals. Rituals have a time requirement of 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or 30 minutes depending on the ritual and can be case at any time (assuming you have a ritual marshal). (assuming you count rituals as crafting)

Ah, I'm used to Dystopia Rising, and the crafting there. Sometimes it's fun to smack things with a hammer for a half an hour, or pour some fluids together...

Also of note, some chapters (gburg for instance) have LCO effects for high-level crafting that could make it worth going to master.

To reiterate what others are saying, though, I mostly play two chapters. At Deadlands, people are usually just handing out mundane stuff and I rarely see people crafting much blacksmithing. At Nine Towers, however, our master blacksmith is often making two or three batches because the demand for new and better weapons is always there.

Speaking as a Lvl20 Blacksmith, I find it's entirely dependent on the how your chapter looks as far as a player base goes. For example in my home chapter until recently about 1 out of every 5 people had some form of Arcane armor so I kindof was sitting on my hands and making alot of stock to just keep on hand. But lately we've seen an influx of Fighter/Rogue players who all are contently changing their armor or losing it or it being destroyed Etc. So I've had to batch a bunch of times, I would say that in the last 5 events I've been to I batched at least once every event, when I was at nationals I batched both days. Also I would say that it really depends on the character you play, if you're in triage a lot then that 30 second refit time is really the best thing in the world. I hope this helped at all. :)

To follow Alik as another master smith I am always double batching. In fact its to the point I am doing 2 or 3 batches every logistics period. They are all correct though it depends on the chapter. Seattle very much uses its smiths alot mostly cause there is maybe 4 of us who have any ranks in it to speak of.

To give you an idea for demand look at how people respond to my being an NPC. If Fargal takes a break from game every one ends up having to buy their goods from people.

i play archers and I am liberal in my use of the bow, so having tons of arrows/bolts are needed.

Back