Boffer Customization

I saw this thing on the net called Sword Tag and was wondering if anybody has applied that sort of thinking to make an Alliance Boffer and if it was regarded as regulation safe. I am asking this because the Bat style of boffer just doesn't appeal to me at all and was wondering if I could make my weapon actually look like something (even if it is a kinda bloated, distorted version). I understand that you don't use latex weapons because their too hard but this seemed like nice median.

Eh, the weapons as pictured have a number of safety issues that would make them fail inspection for Alliance larp. First off, the thrusting tips are sharply pointed on most of them, which really goes against the entire reason for putting them on in the first place. Second, reading the construction documents, he is doing things like using wire to attach his axe and hammer heads rather than relying on tape, which is another concern.

It is quite possible to get some really good looking weapons that fit safety regs, especially axes, polearms, and hammers, but the nature of building a boffer that is safe to the Alliance standards makes looks that require thin or pointed tips impractical.

The easiest way to make an Alliance weapon look more like a real sword than a bat is to use a legal sword as a base. Then, split a piece of pipe insulation in half and put each half on either side of the blade, from the bottom of the thrusting tip to the cross guard, and you make an edge.

All alliance boffers have to have a minimum of 5/8" of blade foam on all striking surfaces. All alliance boffers must have a 2" long thrusting tip made of free cell or open foam that does not come to a point and will in no way fit into an eye socket. The weapon must have a thrusting tip like this on both ends of the weapon. If it meets all those requirements it's still up to the marshall on site if it is a safe weapon or not, but if you follow those guidelines you should be okay for the most part, but if you do try anything experimental, be prepared to have it turned away at any given game.

If you want an awesome looking Alliance safe weapon get something other than a sword honestly. YOu can make some awesome hammers and axes not to mention polearms and spears that are totally legal.

If your hearts set a on a sword make a legal rep but don't do the final wrap. Then build off that to add thickness to one dimension or another. Of course it'll be heavy compared to alot of swords but it'll look kickass.

But seriously get an axe/ hammer easy to make safe and blunt is cheaper than edged build wise :)

Aside from the lack of waylay tips and the pointy ends being, well, pointy, most of those looks can be acheieved with alliance-legal weapons.

I've seen a couple of nice looking boffers in Alliance games. Once or twice.

Zymm said:
Aside from the lack of waylay tips and the pointy ends being, well, pointy, most of those looks can be acheieved with alliance-legal weapons.

That site is very cool. It sounds like if you made a rounded tip ")" instead of a pointed tip ">" on the sword, and used the correct thickness of foam, they would be alliance-legal.

Do such alliance legal swords fit in any commercially-available frogs? If not, do you guys end up making your own frogs, or do you just always have them in your hands?

Tennis ball cans or Pringle cans make very good bases for frogs, then dress them up with either duct tape or leather and you're good to go for a while anyway.

Jaerin said:
Zymm said:

That site is very cool. It sounds like if you made a rounded tip ")" instead of a pointed tip ">" on the sword, and used the correct thickness of foam, they would be alliance-legal.

Do such alliance legal swords fit in any commercially-available frogs? If not, do you guys end up making your own frogs, or do you just always have them in your hands?

I've found that elastic shell holders meant to slip over a rifle butt like these make good frogs. Run a belt through them, and the weapon sits at either a hip or the small of the back, and the shell loops are just the right size for holding a dozen or so potion reps for easy access.

Wraith said:
I've found that elastic shell holders meant to slip over a rifle butt like these make good frogs. Run a belt through them, and the weapon sits at either a hip or the small of the back, and the shell loops are just the right size for holding a dozen or so potion reps for easy access.

Impressive and inexpensive!

I whipped together a frog using approx 2 feet of leftover belt leather and 3 rivets. It holds most sword reps I've run into and took about 5 minutes to make. Most belt strips you'd buy at Tandy are about 6'-7' long, and this is my favorite "bonus" project when I'm making ring belts. :)
-toddo

Back