Boffer-making brainstorming

Paul

So I've been looking at some of the flat-blade boffers out there, moaning about how I can't get that level of detail or coolness, trying to cut shapes out of foam et cetera et cetera. And I've recently decided that Kurguard really does need a sword, as a faster alternative to the axe. So I've created this thread as a kind of brainstorming and tips thing, so that you weapon-checking people and experienced boffer-makers can give me some pointers.

A few things I'd like some help on:

Can any of you think of a good way to make my sword machine-themed? Most of you have seen my axe, and I'm looking to do something also visually impressive for the sword. But so far all of the ideas I've come up with have run into snags.

Is there a trick to doing complicated foam sculpture that I should know about? Any particular kinds of foam that are particularly good, or very emphatically forbidden?

On the hilt, can you add things like small glued acrylic jewels, or other "hard" decorations? Since the answer is probably "no," is there any way to simulate it reasonably well with soft sculpture?

Are there any good ways to make fine designs on hilts? Strips of cloth tape don't work well, and I've seen a lot of intricate patterns that lend themselves immensely to the overall look of the weapon. But I can't figure out how to do that and still keep the structure of the hilt legal.

And, finally, are there any recommendations for specific kinds of materials? I know that kitespar is a good core, and that good-quality tape is a must for a long-lasting weapon, but are there any other things that would substantially improve the boffers I make? I heard that gaffer's tape is better for boffer-making than cloth tape, but I'm not sure whether that's right . . .

In any case, thanks. I'll be trying to get the sword done with before the June event, so that Kurguard can have something to show for his blacksmithing skills.

first of YES gaf tape is my opinion is the best thing to use for boffers, as far as materials, I always use 1/2-3/4 in insulating pipe foam, (3/4 if you are going to shave it for that "flat blade" look) as far as the hilts, I really cannot help you there perhaps someone else can give some suggestions

Matt

Can any of you think of a good way to make my sword machine-themed? Most of you have seen my axe, and I'm looking to do something also visually impressive for the sword. But so far all of the ideas I've come up with have run into snags.

In my mind, it all comes down to crossguard/hilt/pommel designs, rather than blade designs.

Is there a trick to doing complicated foam sculpture that I should know about? Any particular kinds of foam that are particularly good, or very emphatically forbidden?

It's all about having a really nice set of dremmel bits and lots of practice. If you build a flat blade, the foam you want is landau camping pads. Don't make the mistake of buying the darker blue cell foam camping pads. I may have a few spare pieces I can toss your way if you want to have a look at it.

That being said, don't expect a flat blade to pass as of yet. There is still a debate of percieved safety versus actual safety going on. :)

On the hilt, can you add things like small glued acrylic jewels, or other "hard" decorations?

Generally speaking, each weapon will have to be passed on a case-by-case basis, but technically, yes. I've seen it done to one extent or another from coast to coast, but rarely. The primary reason for that is that glue rarely holds gems in place if you are a fairly active combat player.

Since the answer is probably "no," is there any way to simulate it reasonably well with soft sculpture?

Depends on the gem type you're going for. Semi-translucent gems could possibly be repped with some weird gel pack, I suppose. More solid gems, like opals and tiger's eye, could be done with really nice contact paper or tape.

Are there any good ways to make fine designs on hilts? Strips of cloth tape don't work well, and I've seen a lot of intricate patterns that lend themselves immensely to the overall look of the weapon. But I can't figure out how to do that and still keep the structure of the hilt legal.

Puffy paint is the first thing that comes to mind. If strips of tape don't work for you, you could also try reverse silouhetting (Polare's Translator is a good example of this). And finally, if your not averse to doing touch-ups between events, you could always use Permanent Markers.

And, finally, are there any recommendations for specific kinds of materials? I know that kitespar is a good core, and that good-quality tape is a must for a long-lasting weapon, but are there any other things that would substantially improve the boffers I make? I heard that gaffer's tape is better for boffer-making than cloth tape, but I'm not sure whether that's right . . .

Kitespar is definitely the way to go if you have a couple spare bucks. I'm not a fan of gaffer's tape due to problems I've found with the glue when it gets wet. If you want something easy to find, choose a thin cloth tape (rather than thick HVAC duct tape) from Fred Meyer's or odd-colored (not silver) tape from Ace. The best solution, tape-wise, in my opinion is rip-stop tape, but it can get pricey. Tip foam, simple cushion foam works best. Blade foam, I'm becoming more and more annoyed with the pink stuff I use, although it's been fairly light and cheap. Black foam is more durable. If you do a flat blade, you want the light blue landau camping pads.

Augusto Coralli's orignal sword (now the Fell reaver) had a "gem" and it lasted about six months, but it wasn't used very much in combat (though it was used for crunchy stuff too) and I just used open cell foam with red tape and then a "setting" of closed cell foam--basically a half an inch long snip off the top of pipe foam and then I taped that in black, shoved the "gem" into the ring then taped the whole thing on. It looked okay, but it wasn't very practical, it did pop off a lot.

Flats

Flatblades won't pass in nero... yet.

Don't mix types of flat foam (Black and blue, it will hurt you.)
using flat foam, use spray adhesive to put layers together.

L wire can be used for light in recesses, Gems.... just make them out of foam and color them with paint or tape.

eh, you've got enough to deal with now :)

-Gid

Okay, so I managed to get kitespar for my core. I also managed to cut down some foam so that it would actually fit around the core, as opposed to hanging loose. I'm making a roundblade weapon, but the edging on it ought to make it look flatblade-like while still keeping it legal. I've got several of the sword blank pieces ready. But, really, what I need are some suggestions on how to make the thing look mechanical.

I got a suggestion to put open cell foam "teeth" all the way up the blade, but this would make it really heavy and not make it look particularly good. I've also been recommended to use cloth printing or something to make the cloth cover have a pattern of gears on it. But that won't be easy, and I'll still end up with a seam line (which, while bad, is not nearly the worst). So far the only idea I've had which is halfway decent is to make the crossguard and pommel both have gear teeth on the ends, but that's not very obvious and isn't really a Kurguard style.

Can someone please suggest a way to make mechanics feature prominently?

*gasp!* An artless citizen in danger! This looks like a job for:

Ryan: the Staff Artist!

Try this on for size:

gearsword.gif

Good luck making it not look like a KeyBlade.

Haha. Yeah, I tried making keyblades before, but they were all illegal for NERO use . . . Oh, well.

Thanks a lot for the design, it's cool. But I don't think that having the gear on both sides is the best idea. My arm will have to bend funny just to wield it, something I really don't like the idea of. Maybe I'll put the gear-hilt on one side, but probably not on both. Even with imagining it like that, though, it still seems . . . off. Like there's something not quite right about having it like that.

Are there are particularly good ways to make the cloth cover be somewhat mechanical? I'm thinking about having gears running down the blade, or something. But I still can't think of anything wonderfully good to do with it. Mastercrafting a mechanical sword is turning out a lot harder than I thought.

I think you're limiting yourself. Stop thinking about gears and start thinking about other tools. Like a saw blade. Or a wrench (if you wanna go blunt).

Yes, that is it a wrench...he could swing 4 "boxend" or 4 "Monkey-Wrench". :D
Seriously though, why not just a big hammer? Afterall, isn't that how real men fix things anyway? Shame on you for even asking directions. (Kidding, its a guy thing...we alledgedly refuse to ask directions) :p

Well, I really want to be able to swing for Machine damage, but that's more general. As for the wrench, I did consider that, but I'm trying to move away from heavy weapons, and I can't wield blunts anyway. I'm making an ultralight weapon (or as ultralight as I can stand) and adding lots of foam to that would simply reduce my combat effectiveness even further.

I went out and just tested the incomplete sword against my old axe. I'm going to fight so much better once this sword is done.

And while a hammer may be how "real men" fix things, Zulandarka dwarves prefer a much more precise touch. This means we use pointed hammers. And we do ask directions. Admittedly, they're directions like "how do we kill those things?" and the response is usually "RUN!"

Seriously though, you might want to consider a pool noodle blade. The benefit is they're way over sized so you can carve them down a good deal. I'd flat the sides, maybe slightly point them (not too much really!) and then carve "teeth" into one side and make it look like a hacksaw blade.

Well considering you are limited by what you can carry as well as trying to keep it in-period, I honestly think you best bet is a cloth cover on your ultra light. I have one on mine and your mother is a seamstress so the seam may not be as noticeable as you think.

or, you could quite simply take half the gear off of Ryans design, so you'd have a handguard similar to the one you have on Alexandros' sword that I stole oh so ruthlessly for my weapons, and later for Sam's weapons. Hey, imitation is flattery.

then, you could simply get creative with the cloth cover, though doing the Dmech gear pattern on it walks a pair of fine lines: the in period line, and the actually look decent line, and getting such a pattern may prove expensive

I would recomend you do the gear handguard, and slice up the foam down your striking edge to make it look more like a tool. A saw, as was suggested. Sure, its not a gear, but its more mechanical than a simple blade (or you could swap out the saw teeth for gear teeth, but watch it for the weapon catching-ness)

Back