Boffer Rapier

lukeskywkr

Does anyone know how to make an alliance safe rapier or some other way to bring fencing style fighting into the game?

Belive me, I have tried. I was a fencer before I started larping, and trying to incorporate a lot of foil and epee elements into my fighting was much more of a hinderance than it was a benifit. Our combat system isnt really suited for it, due to the weight of even the lightest boffer weapons and the fact that they do not flex. Some elements have worked tho. Ask George Grannis about how much of a pain in the @#$ I am with disengages.

That being said, if you find a way to make a safe rapier, I would be very interested in it.
--bill
Caldaria Staff
Caldaria Rules Marshal

I agree, it's a pain. (Though I don't agree about the weight, there being a difference between epees and foils compared to actual rapiers. Rapiers are heavier, though better balanced, than are our boffers--foils are lighter.) :)

To the left, a decent boffer weapon combined with the skills of a RL fencer is a nice combination. Though many moves don't transfer over well, some do, and one has a nice leg-up over those who've never studied the art. It's all well and good to swing for massive damage, but if you can't hit a fencer, it don't mean squat.

Of course, many real life combat moves are useless or outright illegal in the game due to the danger. While it may be annoying, it's understandable.

But yeah, if anyone figures it out, I, too, would be pleased to learn of it. :)

ChrisO

I think that building the rep is only half. The other half being truly transitioning all the RL fencing skills into their IG equivalents. Some lost, some new ones gained. But it COULD be really cool. But first getting a thin, lite, legal weapon to maintain the style.

Which is the problem, really. Unless a local chapter's weapon's marshall approved such a thing (certainly LCO), we'll have to contend with a certain amount of swelling in our rapier blades. Though a rapier-looking basket hilt is an, albeit small, comfort.

Oh, and ya gotta toss in the occasional en garde position when fighting one-on-one.

Fencers tend to have a flare for the dramatic, oui?

;)
ChrisO

The other advantage to that pose is the true nature or reducing your targetable area. Now, you also have to remember that you never fight in a straight line, and you'd have to be quick with the rotation. Would be interesting to find something that works and get a technique.

chriso said:
Fencers tend to have a flare for the dramatic, oui?

We also tend to have a rapier wit.

tieran said:
We also tend to have a rapier wit.

Yes, yes we do. ;)

Kayden--Most assuredly. Works well against packets, too. Harder against multiple enemies, but that's where keeping one's center of balance comes in for swift spins. The off-hand weapon helps, too.

A rapier is the difference between a common thief and a true rogue! (Thereby pissing off most Rogues, I'm sure, but really now...)

I'll quit now before the Rogues come for me. :)
ChrisO

Unfortunately, that weapon would fail.

For being too whippy, if nothing else.

You can make a rapier style hilt, but Tieran is right - that weapon would fail. The core must extend the length of the weapon, save the last three inches. There should be one inch of pipe foam that is filled with a foam plug at the end of the core, and then the thrusting tip. That's it.

Yes, it can be done. No, you can't get around the fact that the blade is going to be thicker than you would like.
With the appropriate thickening of the hilt though, you still get the basic idea.

With any luck, someone will be able to dig up some links to Cymryc's sword. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

Backer rod and camp foam form the base, then glue and electrical tape hold everything together.
The coating is Plasti-Dip (get it at a hardware store, also called Tool Dip).
It took me a while to get the technique down. I'm not sure the best way to go about describing the construction in a meaningful way without having pictures step-by-step.
Paul might have more tips, I got most of my early inspiration from his stuff, and I think that on average his are better then mine.
~Matt. WCV

Back