Boffer sword with a pistol grip?

Was going through some of fencing sites & found an old standby that I used to use, the french or pistol grip.
swords1.jpg

So looking at boffers, I think that a 20 degree bend after the cross guard might be workable but would it be considered unsafe?

It would depend on your marshal's ruling on the weapon, of course, but generally I would be leery of anything that takes the angle of your grip off-line from the deepest point of your waylay tip.

Otherwise, you risk accidentally hitting someone with something other than open-cell on a hurried waylay attempt. Other than that, I can't think of any reason why they would flatly refuse it.

It's doable, but like any other alternate construction, up to marshal's approval. I have passed weapons with slightly bent handles - in every case I can think of off the top of my head the weapon had crossguards/handguards which would prevent any unpadded bits from hitting people. A cutlass or sabre-style guard similar to some in your picture works well for this.

there was a long discussion about this in the rules board tonfa thread.

Agahi said:
there was a long discussion about this in the rules board tonfa thread.
A bend in your sword's handle is quite different than a 90-degree-angle handle jutting out of the side of your weapon, so this is a bit of a different discussion in my opinion.

As long as there is minimal risk of harming someone with exposed pipe (either by a sufficient crossguard/cup hilt or by a mild enough handle angle), I say it should be passable. I've seen a few weapons with odd bends on their handles, and they are perfectly safe weapons.

A bent handle spear, however, would just be a bad idea.

I was thinking more the blue handled foil in the picture being a bend very similar in angle to what a tonfa would be. A very slight bend in my opinion is quite diffrent that a right angle, it is just that the discussion from the previous topic seemed all inclusive on bends to a grip, and not taking degree into account.

I honestly dont think it matters at all, but I just wanted a note in the topic that some people do disagree.

I wouldn't outright refuse a gentle bend like that in oregon or seattle. If it is otherwise safe (which will be subject to many other things than just that aspect of the grip) then it stands a fair chance. Unfortunately, it always comes down to "bring it to game, and Bryan, Cymryc, and/or I will take a look at it." (The weirder it is, the more of us will end up involved, and the less likely it is to pass.)
-Matt

Gandian Ravenscroft said:
A bent handle spear, however, would just be a bad idea.

Same thing goes for curved-core two handers and polearms. The curve just stiffens the core further, providing a much greater multiplier of force than it normally would.

Hi guy's is this a samurai sword?
samurai.jpg

It's from my grandfather, can I put pistol grip in this sword?

eDwaRdz said:
Hi guy's is this a samurai sword?
samurai.jpg

It's from my grandfather, can I put pistol grip in this sword?

Hello DwaRdz, please keep in mind that this is a LARP that uses boffers (foam, padded weapons).

Back