Bone armor?

Gudetama

I’ve seen a few historical examples of bone armor. Any ideas on how you could make this work without using actual bone?

I don’t have any personal suggestions outside of maybe carved wood. But remember that in the current rules, only specific materials get you Armor Points.

Resin casts might be too brittle. There's a barbarian in Seattle who has bone spikes/horns on his armor--I think it's all foam? I can't remember what Luke's name is on the forums >.>

@Azmodeous!! I was spelling it wrong. Also @rollinfrank had a giant pelvis that I assume wasn't real for their bone golem...

The bone was cow pelvis, I believe, and quite real.
Oh yes, it was super real. And ended up being very uncomfortable in the long run for him.

Sculpted foam would ideally be the best, like Luke's, because you can get super awesome definition and detail with it... well depending on how talented one is with sculpting and painting. And it's lightweight and less stabby when you accidentally run into something.
Wet molding carved/tooled leather could also work if you know how to work with leather in a 3D fashion, depending on what kind of shapes you're going for, and how 3D you are looking for.

I've also seen cosplayers carve that expanding insulation foam that hardens when it dries into shapes (I usually see them do weapons out of it). That could work too, I don't know how fragile it would be on impact form a weapon blow or a fall, but it's something to google. But it is pretty lightweight, so that's a perk.

I've had good experience dying large PVC pipe, breaking it apart, and grinding it into organic shapes to add to a leather backing. I'll try to find images of this and put it up for reference in the coming days.

As mentioned, the rules state that you can only get armor points if the armor is made from the following, non-metal materials:
leather, leather scale, padded cloth, naugahide, suede, doeskin, vinyl, heavy canvas, bone, rope and wood.

With that being said, always check with your local marshals if you have any ideas and see if they'll allow it as an alternative material before putting forth the time, effort and money.

As mentioned, the rules state that you can only get armor points if the armor is made from the following, non-metal materials:
leather, leather scale, padded cloth, naugahide, suede, doeskin, vinyl, heavy canvas, bone, rope and wood.

With that being said, always check with your local marshals if you have any ideas and see if they'll allow it as an alternative material before putting forth the time, effort and money.

To add to this, even if your local marshals allow it, it may not be allowed in chapters you visit.

I'd recommend using either xlpe or eva foam carved out with a Dremel or another rotary tool before plasti dip and paint.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Like a specific anime character? I wouldn't recommend it. In a generally anime style (giant sword, spikey unnatural hair, sharp lines and color delineations)? Sure. You might find your aesthetic doesn't blend well with the rest of your environment, but it's pretty possible to dress in a way that fits both in a general anime kind of thing and in Fortannis.

We’re a game of people that don’t exist in a world where “Screw science, we wanna throw fire and heal massive wounds with mystical energy and a chant!” is a thing.

You do your aesthetic, and have fun with it.

Back