Boots/Boot Solutions

Coming up with things so I can be as prepared for the first event as possible...

Does anyone have/know where I can get a good pair of boots for cheap? My old pair's soles finally gave out on me.

Attachments

• feets.jpg
    feets.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 692
  • feetschart.jpg
    feetschart.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 692
If you're in the Denver area, Cobbler's Corner is fantastic; I reheel my boots regularly there, and have resoled them once, and they even repaired a tear to the point I couldn't find it afterwards. Cheaper than buying new boots if your boots were high quality to begin with.

JC Penney's is surprisingly a good source for nice looking LARP boots, and nice winter boots. They have a good selection of Wide sizes, too, which many places don't carry.

Trace

They weren't that expensive/very nice in the first place.

Looked at JC Penny's a little online and their stuff seems a little pricey.

Army/Navy stores may have something you're looking for with the scale tipping toward inexpensive, then.

Trace

I've found that most department stores have a decent selection for women's boots, but not men's...at least not any that would work well for LARPing. Just keep your eyes open every time you go and you might find just the right boot for the right price! Or you could save up like I did and finally get your own pair of custom boots from http://www.sodhoppers.com (I'm really excited for these boots...seriously been saving for a while and now they will finally be MINE!! :hahaha: )!

-Luke

I have average sized foot for a girl and tend to frequent the Savers in town for shoes/costuming. I HIGHLY recommend the Saver sin Boulder on the south side off Broadway for cheap boots (for ladies)

-Jules

Those boots look really cool! BTW, if they have slick soles, you can take them to any shoe repair place, and for about $10, the cobbler can slap a tread on the bottom of them.

Trace

So i'm a little disgruntled...

Took the boots to a place up here in FoCo. Cheapest pair of soles they had was about $56. Seeing as how I only sunk $40 into the boots, this seemed a little much (especially compared to your $10 estimate Trace). I don't know enough about it to be able to judge the situation but if I'm going to be spending that much to make the boots I have useable (guy said they'd probably fall apart first time I took them out), I might as well just buy some better boots? Maybe you all could help me out.

Anyone have an "in" with the local SCA community? I know someone out in California who happened upon an apprentice Cobbler in the SCA who re-soled the boots for very little. Also might want to just ask around to a few more shoe repair shops by calling and talking to them. Or if you have access to a military installation, they often have a variety of boot re-soling options...

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

-Luke

Seriously... motorcycle boots. Costume boots may look cooler but they won't last an event of hard use unless you shell out a few hundred dollars for high-end, well-made costume boots. Motorcycle boots will last ages and you can get a pretty good pair for $40-$60 (mind you this was as of five years ago so I don't know if the price has moved up more twards the $60 end). They look sufficiently period, have good tread, and are durable.

Never never get costume boots from a costume store or wholesale costume site... the only costume boots generally worth anything are custom things like you see with (some! Not all! Do research) renfaire vendors. Most costume boots are made for halloween or party wear, which is to say - worn a handful of times, indoors, very light use. Not to be walked in outdoors on trails for hours and hours and taking a heavy beating.

Durability, safety, and comfort are really the higher priorities with LARP footwear. Appearance just needs to be period enough. A nifty appearance is worth nothing if you injure yourself at the first fight of the event, or if you find yourself without footwear halfway through because your shoes fall apart.

(And I say this as someone who plays more for immersion, roleplay, and character than for combat. I learned the hard way about the importance of good hardy footwear my first season as street cast at a renfaire - got $100 boots from renboots that fell apart halfway through the season. What a freaking waste. My motorcycle/engineer boots on the other hand have lasted me two years of wearing them every day and at LARP. Well, well worth it.)

Back