Boots

Sudupta

Both Doug and I are on the hunt for good LARPing boots at the best price possible. It seems pretty tough to find nice looking boots that will also stay dry and comfortable. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Kelly

The ones that lots of people wear around here are Son of Sandlar. They are at the NY Ren Faire, and I'm sure other faires as well but you'd have to look up which ones.

They aren't cheap, but good leather boots rarely are. I've been wanting a pair for years but because I have large calves I'd have to get them custom done, or get the ones with buttons all up the sides. Personnaly I'm not very fond of that style because they're only waterproof to the ankle, where the others are damn near like wellies in that so long as the water isn't going over the top of the boot you'll be dry. They look nice though.

I just use a standard pair of brown hiking boots.

They do not look too anachoristic, they fit well, they are water proof, and have nice gripping treads so I wont slip in the mud or wet grass.

Jim

Son of Sandlar fan here. You can order through their website in the Ren Faire off-season.

Best $400 I ever spent. Knee-high black leather boots that are waterproof and a lifetime garauntee to replace. You could send the boots back to them burned with tire marks and they will replace them. ;)

I've had good luck with these. http://www.scaboots.com

While not as durable as Son of Sandlar, one pair lasted me three years before I finally had to buy a new pair.

So if you're not ready to drop down $400 on a pair of boots, give these a try.

Bleyk said:

While not as durable as Son of Sandlar, one pair lasted me three years before I finally had to buy a new pair.

What are the soles like on these? Good traction?

My son of Sandlar's were only $275 but I did get them like 4 or 5 years ago...
They are really durable and comfortable (after the first time you wear them)...and I definitely recommend them.

I think that's the going rate for the "Peasant's Boot" - the black cross laced style... that's about what I paid last Feb.

I spent about $150 on some motorcycle boots (that look relatively in-period) about 8 years ago. I still use them. :)

About a year ago I bought some decent looking "bucaneer" boots, for close to $200, but they fell apart after 4 events. :( Thus, I still use my motorcycle boots.

SCABoots.com - Warm, water-tight, and phenomenal service. I had a boot blow out at the first event I attended with one (walking in the muck) and they overnighted a new boot to me at no charge, didn't even ask for the old boot back. Haven't had an issue since.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Bleyk said:

What are the soles like on these? Good traction?

The soles are what went on mine, well the heels. The heels are hollow (for cushioning I suppose) and I'm a big guy so I ended up walking around on a flat heel for an event. The traction is decent, I never slipped on a wet floor in them.

jpariury said:
SCABoots.com - Warm, water-tight, and phenomenal service. I had a boot blow out at the first event I attended with one (walking in the muck) and they overnighted a new boot to me at no charge, didn't even ask for the old boot back. Haven't had an issue since.

The web page for Son of Sandlar dosnt seem to be working. They still around? someone have a link that will work?

Their site's never really worked all that well unfortunately, which is why I waited as long as I did to get a pair of their boots. Your best bet with them is to catch them at a faire. Right now, that's not realistic up north obviously (They would have been in Sarasota FL in Feb, and I THINK they're in either Arizona or Texas right now, but it's been a LONG time since I tried to keep up with the circuit). Your best bet is to catch them at the NY Renn Faire.

Back