Brainstorming Improvements and Immersion

meirya

Artisan
I was doing some research and poking around the Alliance LARP forums, and I found this gem of a thread. Thought I'd share it here for people who were interested. It has nifty ideas for improving immersion and atmosphere! Ideas I particularly liked:
  • Carry a medieval first aid kit full of bandages. Take out bandages and actually mime tying them on (or really tie them on, if you have bandages to spare) when first aiding someone. (This may be an actual rule in the rulebook, according to the thread?)
  • If you're a blacksmith, carry a little boffer hammer. Pull it out when you're doing armor refits.
  • If it's character appropriate and you can afford it, more than just one outfit per character per event. I know this one is challenging and is only really appropriate for wealthier sorts. If you're worried about people not knowing if you're playing the same character, I find it useful to have a basic color palette for each character and just stay within that palette. (I stuck to grackle colors for my NERO Mystic - black, copper, purple, teal.)
  • Street signs!

Any other ideas? I know we've only had one game, and our players and staff are already *fantastic* at making the game immersive, and we haven't seen our permanent site yet. But I like brainstorming, and cultural habits/norms are easier to set in place earlier rather than later!

I gotta say. I was so so so impressed by this past event. The costuming was the best I've seen at any LARP I've played yet. I didn't see many rooms, but the Barony of Rivervale had incredibly epic decor! Healer's Guild was set up nicely but I'm biased there, since I helped out with that. The wooden guild signs outside the cabins were a nice touch, the WANTED posters and Chivalry School posters were fantastic, the fact that we *have* a Chivalry School was fabulous. The idea Mike P. had of an in-game fight practice seems like even more immersion. The nobility belts. The barony colors and coherent themes in costuming. The dwarven shields. We had a lot of good immersion! I'm just curious how to help make it EVEN MORE awesome. ;>

So another thing, and this was sorta brought up in closing announcements, but I think we should implement the standard that if you are going to search a person that you must describe How or what you are searching. This will take up time to RP out a search, and will deter people from doing "instant looting" during combat.

Cory

I agree as long as people don't abuse it...

Also keep in mind... looting is part of the game...IN GAME... someone loots your kill, or your friend's kill, say something. This isn't a video game where the coins magically appear in your inventory bc you hit the loot button first... speak up and demand your split.

For the same reason, we will not do a "magic bag" as you Coloradans call it. If a big bad has loot or has a big box in his lair and 2 people loot it, characters nearby should speak up and demand a fair split of the small horde. If they are sneaky and steal a bunch of it... make sure you know who your friends are and who you allow to travel with you. Keep it in game.

This message brought to you by the letters R and P.
Jesse

Whats this magic bag thing? I seriously enjoyed the hell outta the RP when dealing with the loot last weekend.

-Mike "Porch"

There is a tradition at some other games where the Marshal gives one player a bag full of all the treasure for a whole fight. That player is on her honor to distribute it to the other players that should have access to it.

It's a popular system of treasure distribution among people who neither like searching kills individually, nor the ensuing in-character conflict that can sometimes arise over that. It's also a system perceived to help keep bullies from hogging all the treasure by one means or another.

Personally, I'm not a fan -- I prefer searching the old fashioned way.

Trace

Wow yea, the world I come from anything that limits RP = bad bad, kill it with raid. It's like exchanging RP for loot. Ouch.

Yea I'm also enjoying the RP and the RP coming to all the people that keep running off with loot or forgetting about the commoners.

"...or forgetting about the commoners"

If it's any consolation, this knight searched 9 monsters, and got empty hands 8 times. I'm pleased to share my bad luck on searches with any commoner who wants it. :thumbsup:

Trace

Who has the best "Team Mom" ever? RIVERVALE! Big thanks to John Avery Fawkes (aka Banks) for enlisting the help of his incredibly amazing, generous, and talented mother, Lynne, to create this first of two exquisite banners for our baronial court. This is not painted, it's fabric applique. Hard to see the white against the white door, but note cool tassel at the bottom, even! There'll be a second one to follow the first. YAY!!!!

Trace Moriarty

Attachments

• Rivervale banner.jpg
    Rivervale banner.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 563
Whoa! Okay, that is crazy impressive! :-o

Whats "fabric applique"? is it a particular way to attach it? is it sewn? ironed etc?
Definitely looks nice and would love to make one for Warchester.

Wow. That's great. Does she do requests (for a fee of course)?

rmusic1971 said:
Whats "fabric applique"? is it a particular way to attach it? is it sewn? ironed etc?
Definitely looks nice and would love to make one for Warchester.

In its broadest sense, an applique is a smaller ornament or device applied to another surface. An appliqué is usually one piece. In the context of ceramics, for example, an appliqué is a separate piece of clay added to the primary work, generally for the purpose of decoration. The term is borrowed from French and, in this context, means "applied" or "thing that has been applied."
Wikipedia

Sewing it is one way. There are a ton of ways to "fuse" fabric together with glue, iron on sticky sheets, etc. Also, purchasing it from a pro is a good option for best quality, but also has it's own cost.

Gilwing said:

Sorry for the delay on my response, I finally figured out that I needed to post more to be able to respond to a pm in another pm. Would it be possible for you to send me a picture of the design you had mentioned?

Thanks.

Banks said:
Gilwing said:

Sorry for the delay on my response, I finally figured out that I needed to post more to be able to respond to a pm in another pm. Would it be possible for you to send me a picture of the design you had mentioned?

Thanks.

Sorry John , I didn't realize it either. I believe you need to hit 5 posts to enable PM's. Where shall I send it?

Even if you don't have the gear, don't just go for the minimal requirement: roleplay out skills such as blacksmithing and first aid. Move around, do some hammering or binding wounds.

Back