By the Fort's Rear Gate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapaki

Marshal
... or what was left of it, at least.

Staring out through the gaping hole out onto the Causeway, Shaundaular's foreman and Quarrymaster Robert Cunningham crosses his arms in front of himself and sighs. "Marquis Xerxes is gone for three weeks, and the newcomers nearly bring a centuries-old fort down around our ears... these Breachers truly are a force of nature."

"Keeps 'ye busy, at least." A broad, red-haired dwarf next to him scoffs, spitting into one of the massive footprints the construct left in the lawn days before. The young militiaman repairing said imprint looks up at the dwarf with a disgusted look, ready to raise an objection to his behaviour, but then snaps his mouth shut and continues with his task when confronted by the sheer intimidating size of the man.

"Staying busy is the least of my problems, Kraven Drumcaller." The slight human grumbles, watching his crews assessing the wall. Now that the limited circles put up as a clever stopgap had dropped, they could finally get to work. "Especially now that I'm also to aid them in finding proper quarries for the new frontline location - not a task I mind, but I'm not getting much in the way of information or communication from them. I drew up a few local quarry options and gave them to that elf by the name of Eric, but I haven't heard anything since."

"Oy, an' speakin'o which," Kraven begins, his expression souring, "if ya needin' me ta take a look'round Rocholm for other potentials, I can't stick around tew long... though I do adore yer wifey's cookin'. It's a long walk there an' back, an' only a certain 'mount of time to do it in. I just hope these kids know what they're getting themselves into, an' all. Starting a quarry from scratch is no easy, nor inexpensive feat."

"Again, I was hoping that someone would send a message for a meeting to discuss their options... but nothing." Robert shakes his head. "As much as I try to pop back into town when I can, I have my own tasks here; I can't keep coming to them."

"Ack, well, we'll give it a few more days an' see wot happens. Sheryl promised a roast come week's end, so I'll at least hang about fer that." The dwarf shrugs, then laughs heartily. Robert cracks a smile and chuckles as well, but there's concern on his face as the laughter fades, and the two of them go back to observing the Causeway.

Several days later, shortly after dawn...

"Well, I'm off then." Kraven says to Robert, he and the human Quarrymaster once more approaching the Fort's rear gate. The dwarf is obviously packed for a long trip, both his riding and pack horse loaded with equipment. "This journey would have been made faster and easier with a few more hands... a shame none of those Breachers came forward to help with the scout."

"A shame, indeed. I hope your survey is not too delayed as result; send your report as soon as you can." Robert sighs, holding the dwarf's horse as the broad man swings up into the saddle. "Stars guide you, Kraven Drumcaller."

Both men nod their farewells and the dwarf heels his mount into a trot, down the Causeway towards the Wylds of Rocholm.

"Well, back to work..." The Quarrymaster runs a hand through his hair and shakes his head, heading into the mess hall to grab a quick breakfast before starting his own long walk to the quarry west of the fort.

"Is hating dat name ..."
Kraven hears a voice from outside the gate.
*Breachers?* Stigandr mumbles to himself stepping out.
"Hear yous sayin need help vith scouting resources n stuff. If vanting Stig vill join you?"

"You one of 'em?" The red-haired dwarf begins in his thick brogue, halting his horse and looking the northman over. He smirks. "Aye, ye seem capable. You'll do."

"We'll be gone for several weeks - checkin' fer sites to harvest stone from deep in Rocholm fer yer new... home. Quarryin' is my trade, nothin' else. If ye've got other knowledge, you can use it while we're out there, but I'm looking for rock. Still interested? Get what ye need done quickly an' meet me at the bottom o'the hill--" he points further down the Causeway, "-- in an hour."

*Whistle!*
"SWIFT!"
A very large wolf hound emerges from a near by tree line and heads right to Stigandr who in stride leaps to her back without missing a beat
"Been vanting go see Rocholm since gettin here. Vill do vhat can to help"
He says with a nod
" Others probably busy with festival team crap. Is board n ve needin the resources sooner den later"
Stig turns his mount to the road
"S'go?"

Stig turns back to the dwarf
"Names Stigandr.... most just call Stig"

The dwarf arches a thick eyebrow at the Northman and his wolf, a little impressed but trying not to show it.

"M'name's Kraven. Kraven Drumcaller Stonesinger of Kelech'mor." He laughs, extending a meaty arm to Stig in greeting. "Let's go find you kids some rocks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back