By the Hand of the Ordo Aurum

Sir Balloch,

I willingly accepted your judgement, and had no intention of replying.

That ended when you insulted the heroism of my foreign friends.

I lived in Chiram's Hollow for a time, and it saddens my heart to see what those great lands have become. However, its defenders stand tall, fighting insane odds, and willing to reclaim it no matter the cost.

Stick to passing judgement where you have authority. You make a grave error otherwise.

Ulthoc of Ram Tribe

To all those who have and will continue to speak in my defense, I thank you.
To those who speak in defense of the Paladins and the law of the land, I thank you.
To any who feel this would be a time to strike against this land, remember this: the strength of the Kingdom lies not in my coronet nor my belt. It lies in the hearts of all those who will rise up to destroy you. Twenty years of history suggest you take your evil elsewhere.

I ask that all of you please bring your bickering to another place besides Two Towers. This gathering is not for squables or bickering. This is a festival to prove your strength and abilities to defend not only yourself but the common people of these lands.I do not wish for there to be fighting amongst ourselves. What does that prove to the people?

As far as the Paladin's judgment... Bar......Uthoc knew what he was doing. He told the town he was reporting to the paladin for judgment. He knew he went against the code. It was his choice. Let it go. There is nothing to be done about it now.

Again I ask you all to leave you fights behind you when you enter Two Towers.

In service
Red
High Guard of Blythedale

I was not there so I cannot know. I have been other places of late. Saving life, bringing death where needed. Ever dancing.

Ulthoc, titles spoken mean as little as oaths spoken. The real ones can never be said. And a noble is a nice thing to have when times are soft. At times like this a land needs champions. And champions are too busy with the work to care about the words. But then you already knew that did you not.

To any who call these lands friend...welcome. I hope to see you at this festival. There is much to do it seems.

Amaranthus. I do not know if you remember me. I am the one who saw you off. I respected your wishes that day. I am glad you were wrong. But I will tell you this now. If the good knight accepts your challenge then I am willing to place my best blade in your hand and teach you a final thing or two before hand of my ways of sword play.

Simon Neville
Sergeant and Court Mage of the Ash Forest
"I Dance in the void, I look in its eyes
It calls my name, Come Dance with me"

It appears thst as usual when I find a mist passage to Icenia, things as usual take a turn for the worse. I sometimes wonder if it is me, or simply the mists fickle nature.

Ulthoc is a good man. He was a good man before his elevation, and he will continue to be a good man after this. Despite any disagreements we may have over matters of magic, I have always been glad to consider him a friend.

Do I know the particulars of what occured? No. And not do I know what led the Paladins to render this verdict.

But I know that Ulthoc is and will continue to be a good man.

To those who wear Sable and Or, continue to serve the people of Nordenn and of Icenia, to do otherwise would do Ulthoc ill.
To the paladins who currently govern Icenia, I cannot say I agree with your decision, but I can see what would lead to it. I do not envy your current position and hope that this doesn't worsen it.

And finally to Ulthoc, I know you are a good man and will do right by the people, title or no.

Aaeun Nimbus
Voice of the Willows

To all those whom give a Sh*t about what matters,

I have had the HONOR of being squired to Baron Ulthoc for almost a year at this point. Before then I was his student and friend. I have learned a great deal from this man. This past month I have been helping , healing and feeding THREE THOUSAND citizens that Baron Ulthoc saved through his actions.

One of the first things all squires are taught is that the code is open to interpretation. I have gone through the trials and trainings of the Paladins of the Ordo. I have passed your tests and wear the favor proving so. Thus I feel that I have seen what your vision of the code is. Allow me to show how this squire views it. I fully realize you may choose to punish me or condemn me for this. But just as Duke Aramis Llyr was known for speaking up even against laws of the land when he spoke up against slavery so do I feel i must speak on behalf of my liege.

Though shalt respect the weak and thou shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.- The Baron knew of three thousand spirits trapped due to the mechanization of a dark fae, the seelie court fae princess whom was trapped and the man who's love for this princess drove him mad. Madness is a sickness..being imprisoned makes those 3000 spirits weak..and the princess trapped as well. Ulthoc assumed responsibility and made himself their defender. he arranged for all those lives to be saved. He arranged fr a possible ally to be made and for the destruction of a vampire, the punishment of a necromancer and for Corrheim to have it's citizens returned to it. Our first responsibility is to our people. Without them the code means nothing. All we do all we breath in and out in the end is for them and this land.

Thou shall love the country to which thou hast sworn fealty- Those people trapped are icenian citizens. They have family..friends..loved ones.. They have lives denied them. The land was wounded by the artifact and these people can heal it. Baron ulthoc acted not out of pride but out of love and looking at the greater good. We often have to make sacrifices. We are in constant war and lives and land are common commodities traded for what we deem as victory. Baron ulthoc acted tactically in order to limit the actions of those whom may have caused so many lives that his decisions saved thusly protecting Icenians.

Thou shalt not recoil before thy enemy- Ulthoc lead us onto the field many times and at no point showed fear or cowardess. In this case.. Our enemy was allowing a narrow view of what leads us to cost lives and risk further loss of life. Baron ulthoc did not recoil from this challenge in the process he lead us against the Galanthian presence and removed from them a senator. Fort Lochaber forces were weakened and Ulthoc is responsible.

Thou shalt make war upon evil without cessation- Our war is fought on many levels. Not only did Baron Ulthoc combat foe but his actions helped BRING BACK TO LIFE those effected by the mirror and in turn battle evils done that could normally not be mended. He also as I said rescued citizens and did a healthy amount of smashing undead skulls.

Thou Shalt scrupulously preform thy noble duties be they not contrary to the laws of the land- Baron ulthoc Represented his people. He protected others even in the peerage. he lead, instructed, and taught us through his actions. He has garnered the respect and loyalty of those who even travel the mists while others whom wear the belt have ostracized them. he puts out the fires while others would watch the world born. That is noble..

Thou shalt never Lie and thou shalt remain truthful to thy word- This tenet we take a great deal of liberty with... deception.. withholding information. I have seen many of these things... Baron ulthoc made an announcement before everyone , he confessed the lie told and he put himself for punishment. that is noble as well.

Thou shalt be generous and thou shalt give freely to others- Baron Ulthoc gave of his time.. his effort.. his pride.. and in the end his crown and belt so that others could live, prosper and know what sacrifice truly is in Icenia. The path of nobility is one where we give of ourselves even when it takes all that we are and all that we love. Baron ulthoc has done just that to ensure that the people he serves live.

Thou shalt everywhere and always be the champion of the good and the right and the good against injustice and evil- Baron ulthoc championed the people imprisoned in that mirror. He championed the fae princess victim. He championed the people of Icenia. What he did was good and right and EVERYONE LIVED..... that is a rare and beautiful thing.. something of legend.

Paladin Balloch,

You and I hunted brigands together. We talked and acted I understand what the ordo means more then most and you all know my true nature and not the silly image I allow most to see. You vision is narrow though sir. I have walked between worlds. I have met the brave few whom stand against the tides of darkness. I have had the honor to stand alongside them. I even gave my life at times be it dracolich or against slavers.. The people you insult are my friends and they risk the mists to come and defend a world not their own. Their honor has been insulted. If you wear the belt you are al symbol of what we are. Paladin as I have been learning it is not just action but politics. You claim to represent Icenia and you insult our allies. How can you constitute yourself the defender of the weak when you would anger those whom would help you defend them. If all acted that way sir you would fight a very lonely war.

Citizens of the Deadlands,

I am very sorry for the insult you were given. There are a few of you I have been able to fight alongside and some I had the honor to laugh and share a drink with. I have seen your ferocity, honor and kindness. Lady Knight Sevaria I am sorry. Please let others know that Icenia has not forgotten our friends and I am certain we will send aid to you as best we can..If you ever need shelter or allied look for the red and black.

I do not know if my words will have an impact. I am sure they will get a reaction and I can only hope it is positive. I am sending to The Duke and the ordo a document of thanks for ulthoc. Attached are over three thousand signatures and marks made by those he saved.

Those who speak passionately I thank you all and ask that you not allow the sacrifices made by any to be in vane. We have a war to win on two fronts. If any of you need aid... I am found in ForrestHeart with the victims freed from the prison.

Lord Squire Marcusagrim Anvilstrike

Tales of my father's valiance will be sung for centuries. He doesn't need a coronet to love or lead us and he doesn't need the trappings of nobility to be chivalrous. He is and has been these things without question of his own choosing for years and he won't stop because he can't be called "Baron" anymore.

My first liege and once-Paladin Harrison Ryatt once told me the code lives and breathes like we do. His interpretation of the code - like mine is - was very strict, but he taught me everyone looks at it differently just like my father taught Lord Squire Grim. I could not make the decision my father did the way he did, but that doesn't make it the wrong one.

I'm only a squire. I don't make decisions for my court. I can't speak for them and I'm not speaking on their behalf - only mine. Until my liege and heir to the crown - let me say that again: heir to the crown - Duke Nevin Kendrick orders me otherwise, I will stand by my father as I always have. I don't have to make decisions the way he does to see he has done the best thing for the most people.

In service,
Squire Jovunn Rannveig
Daughter of Ulthoc
Ram Tribe

Greetings,

I know that, as a commoner, I have no right to question the decision of any noble, let alone a council of paladins. I am sure great consideration was utilized by the Ordo Aurum before reaching their decision, and they are under no obligation to explain it. However, I consider myself both a student of chivalry and a friend of Ulthoc Crownsmith, and, as such, I feel it necessary to put forth several statements and questions regarding this matter, in the event that the paladins were inadequately informed of the details of the situation. I was not present, but I have corresponded with Ulthoc on the matter, and that correspondence has raised some points on which I desire to obtain greater clarity.

First, in general, it seems that Ulthoc’s decisions were made emphasizing the values of compassion, defense of the innocent, and combatting of evil, while the judgment of the Ordo Aurum seems to lean more heavily towards the values of honesty and love of country. Surely these are all admirable and noble qualities, and I understand the desire of the paladins to emphasize loyalty to the state at this time. However, I know Ulthoc to be of noble spirit. I am somewhat familiar with the tenets of your Code Of Chivalry, but am only a novice at it’s philosophy. Are some tenets weighted greater than others?

Perhaps addressing some specifics would be helpful. To the best of my knowledge, Ulthoc never lied. He did withhold information regarding intel he had that affected his decision. However, if I am correct, he was the only baron in town at the time, nor was there a noble in town that outranked him. He only withheld information from subordinates. I do not mean to disrespect the feelings of anyone who felt insulted by not knowing the full details of the plan, but in military situations, the commander does not always share all the information and motivations behind his decision. He is not obligated to, nor is it always considered safe, prudent, and beneficial to agenda, army, or country. I realize that is a military interpretation, but do not nobles serve as military commanders in situations likely to resolve with armed conflict? Or are the rules inherently different for nobles addressing lower ranking nobles and commoners?

The other charge levied against Ulthoc was aiding a Galanthian senator. I am assuming that means that all Galanthian officials are considered enemies of the state, and I could understand how, in this, Icenia’s time of strife, the paladins wisely advise all to be wary of associating with such enemies, however benign their intentions might seem. However, the actions Ulthoc took at the behest of the Galanthian senator were surely ones he would have taken anyway, if he otherwise had the opportunity. Ulthoc allowed the mirror to be reassembled once he realized that doing so (to the best of his knowledge) would release innocent prisoners that were unjustly trapped within its confines, and that the mirror’s fragmented state was most likely causing the afflictions of many local citizens. In both ways he was performing the first tenet of the Icenian Code of Chivalry.

The other action he performed that coincided with the senator’s wishes was to grant him a ritual Gift of Life, thereby removing his vampirism. Surely, as far as combatting evil is concerned, this is at least as good an option for eliminating necromancy as is destroying an undead outright. Additionally, for what it is worth, all indications were that it would permanently destroy or severely weaken the senator’s spirit in the process and, I have to suspect, would also incur the wrath of HIS superiors, thereby likely removing his senatorial title in the process. Again, this may seem like a strategic position rather than a chivalric one, but it sounds like a reasonable action for a man in Ulthoc’s position to make.
As far as the end not justifying the means, I agree that this is a noble maxim, but I, personally, cannot consider it an absolute, for it implies that, in every situation, it is possible to do no evil. Unfortunately, that is simply not true. I know I do evil every time I kill an enemy. I am doing it to prevent the evil of his killing of innocents. My means are evil; the end is good. I wholeheartedly believe that Ulthoc’s intentions were to prevent and reverse evils. His actions defended the weak, fought evil by punishing a vampire for his acts of necromancy, weakening his spirit while allowing him the redemption of starting over without even the memory of his time of evil acts. In the process, Ulthoc may have made decisions that not everyone in his position would have made. Sometimes chivalry involves deciding between two imperfect actions. That is why it is difficult, and that is why it is entrusted to a few individuals, and that is why they are called nobles.

The same can be said of the decision of the Ordo Aurum. I’m sure they realized that no decision would be perfect. If I offend with my novice understanding of the Code, or if I speak out of turn, I apologize. I, as my friend Ulthoc, will abide by your decision. If he did not think his actions questionable, he would not have presented himself to you. But I do think he is of noble character, and I wanted to make sure the situation was served by the most thorough knowledge possible. If Ulthoc or any noble of Icenia would like to clarify my understanding of the situation or the Icenian Code of Chivalry, I would graciously accept the enlightenment. Otherwise, peace be to all, and let us continue to fight evil despite our titles or differences.

Thank you all for your time,
Aelawen Gildenfeather

Ignatius...

I don't understand. My only question is why? Surely you must be enslaved, or worse. The Ignatius I served under wouldn't renounce what he would have once died for over a Baron losing his title for breaking his oath, or a Paladin running his mouth.

I mean...you didn't witness what transpired in our beloved Corrheim. It was as awful a situation as we'd ever experienced. Almost as terrible as the night we first met. Sick decisions need to be made. Ulthoc made a choice. That choice did not coincide with the Code as you believed in it.

The Ignatius I knew would have seen the code as it was written, and made the same judgement as the Paladins. Except, perhaps, without going further and insulting the sovereign lands of an ally afar.

Your brother in arms always,

Flint

Ignatious,

You sheltered and guided me in my hours of need, pushed out from my home. You gave me a family and a reason to fight. You gave me hope. I have never forgotten that.

I have no hall, but you are now and always a welcome kin to my land. You are not an ex-patriot of Icenia. You are a brother.

- Sevaria of Goshawk

Ulthoc-

Worth me stepping in?

-T

Sir Ignatius,

The rock of Trellheim does not crack and wither. The man I served with would have run Ulthoc through but at the same time understood him. I am not sure why after more then a year this now is why you come back to us. My assumption is that you and Duke frost had the same fate. Do you know if the Dukes where abouts? Are you enslaved? How can we help you? This whole situation is poor comedy and the man we served with would not choose this arena for these actions. You have a strong and able group at the ready Side Ignatius. Give us some sign and we will be there to help you.

Vigilance and Valor,

Lord Squire Marcusagrim Anvilstrike

Ignatious,

I have ale waiting for you as well.

Telokh

Back