Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
Many of you have contacted me about cabins so here is some info thus far:

8x12 cabin - xsmall -sleeps 2-4 - materials - $1,625.00
12x12 cabin - small sleeps 4-6 - materials cost - $2,035.00
12x 16 - medium - sleeps 8 - materials cost - $2,590.00

What this does not include:
labor, windows, beds and mattresses, electricity, insulation, or wood burning stove

Labor charge will be forthcoming but the total will not exceed twice the materials cost. So the 12x 16 will NOT be more than $5,180, but it could be a lot less. Builder is calculating between price per sq ft. vs. hours, since I am actively helping to build these and keep costs down.
Beds - I will pick up the tab for the lumber and hardware, but the mattresses (4" foam) are roughly $100 each. More if you want 6" foam. (179.00)
Electricity is a year two project (Cpap folks will have to sleep in a cabin near the house-ish where we will run electric to in year one)
Insulation - Currently, we will be insulating the floor for an additional charge depending on the size of the cabin. I just insulated the floor of the first cabin (16x24) and it was $220 additional.
We will not be insulating the walls until year two, when the electricity goes in and then panels will seal up the walls. You will have your choice whether or not you want your walls insulated and paneled then.

Wood burning stoves- Roughly $200-400 depending on the model.

Start saving those ducats! Let me know if you'd like to also start with a payment for materials in the meantime.
After cabin one, the tavern will be next, so these cabins wont start until the tavern is finished.
I will send pics by the end of this weekend on Cabin One Progress!!!

Upwards and onwards!

Jesse

Jesse,

It sounds like you are suggesting that people (or groups) can pay for the materials and/or materials and labor to make a cabin. First, is that what you are actually doing? If so, what does that mean? If Riverchester gets together it's bubble-gum money and pays to have a cabin built, with some mattresses and stuff, is it theirs? When someone else rents the land, do they pay Riverchester to use the cabin? If you want all the cabins updated in year two, is Riverchester committed to following up on future upgrades? If they don't, what does that mean for their "ownership"? If Idle Crossroads uses the cabin for a DR event and gets zed blood all over the mattresses, is that a deal between Riverchester and Idle Crossroads, or is it something you handle?

I guess I'm saying.... there are some questions about how all this works and what your intent is.
William

I'm glad Parzival responded to this. Some of my concerns were covered there. The way the post reads, it sounds like you're expecting us as players to bear the brunt of the cost for cabins if we want the cabins to be built on this land you purchased.

I love the idea of having a land built for and geared towards use as LARP space, but I don't have the kind of money lying around to help pay for the cabin builds to become a reality. Am I going to only be able to tent camp if I can't pitch in towards the cost of building these cabins? How does that work?

And how will this work for new players coming in, players who don't know yet if they even like Alliance? I wouldn't expect them to invest money into these cabin builds when they don't even know if they like the LARP yet. For new players and even traveling players (which we have been getting more of in Denver), are we expecting them to be investing into the builds? Right now, it's $50 per event, with an additional $20 for cabins. Are those costs for cabins going to increase a bunch to pay for this?

Or is this post simply a post where you're showing us how much things cost so that we're aware how much goes into building them? Because the way the post reads, it seems like an expectation for us to help pay for them vs just being an informational cost breakdown post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ok, since I like to see numbers all totaled... (Edit3: Updated with Jesse's latest post about labor costs)

Small (12x12)
- Cabin = $2025
- Labor = $0
- Mattresses = $100 x 4-6 = $400 to $600+
- Floor insulation = $220
- Wall insulation = $More
- Wood stoves = $200-$400
Total for a small group: Up to $3245, plus wall insulation ($540-811 each for a group of 4+)

Medium (12x16)
- Cabin = $2590
- Labor = $0
- Mattresses = $100 x 8 = $800+
Total for a medium group: Up to $4010, plus wall insulation ($501 each for 8)

Large (16x16)
- Cabin = $3010
- Labor = $0
- Mattresses = $100 x 8-10 = $800 to 1000+
Total for a large group: Up to $4630, plus wall insulation ($301-578 each for 8+)

XL (16x24)
- Cabin = $4370
- Labor = $0
- Mattresses = $100 x 14-16 = $1400 to 1600+
Total for an XL group: Up to $6590, plus wall insulation ($411-471 each for 14+)

Last edited:
Many of us have questions along the lines of Will's helpful list. Rivervale had a team meeting the other night wherein we composed a central list of all detailed questions we have, and Mac is emailing that to Jesse. if we get answers before they're posted here, we'll share what info we get.

Let us all understand that this is a presented opportunity for players to donate money to speed up the construction of cabins, and potential gain some (as yet unannounced) benefits in choice of cabin and its ammenities, and onsite storage space, etc. No one expects you to pay to build your own cabin in order to have housing space when you LARP. This is an opportunity, not a requirement. Let's simmer down on that revolution for the time being.

Trace

My understanding from "Labor charge will be forthcoming but the total will not exceed twicethe materials cost. So the 12x 16 will NOT be more than $5,180." Was that the total cost for entire cabin would not exceed double the materials numbers he posted, not that labor alone would run that high. I could be misreading though.

Ok, since I like to see numbers all totaled...correct me if I'm wrong.
Low End
-12x12 = $2025
- Labor = Up to $4050
- Mattresses = $100 x 4-6 = $400 to $600
Total for a small group: Up to $7295, plus wall insulation

High End
- 16x24 = $4370
- Labor = Up to $8740
- Mattresses = $100 x 14 to 16 = $1400 to $1600
- Floor insulation = $220+
Total for a large group: Up to $15330, plus wall insulation

Definitely will want to clarify what we get for that kind of money, beyond a set building to decorate. :)

My understanding from "Labor charge will be forthcoming but the total will not exceed twicethe materials cost. So the 12x 16 will NOT be more than $5,180." Was that the total cost for entire cabin would not exceed double the materials numbers he posted, not that labor alone would run that high. I could be misreading though.

Exactly why we need clarification. Guess that could read either way. :)
Edit: I updated my post to include my possible misread.

Last edited:
In construction norms, labor is x2 materials, thus materials are 1/3 of the total cost, and labor is 2/3 of the cost, if you want to think of it that way.

Trace

Let us all understand that this is a presented opportunity for players to donate money to speed up the construction of cabins, and potential gain some (as yet unannounced) benefits in choice of cabin and its ammenities, and onsite storage space, etc. No one expects you to pay to build your own cabin in order to have housing space when you LARP. This is an opportunity, not a requirement.

Actually, I'm hoping this isn't true. If I can put down money on a cabin, and then rent it out to other groups (or my own group) for LARP events, that is an opportunity I'm willing to look at and if the numbers make sense, I'll invest in that idea. If I'm dropping 6k for the right to use a cabin for a few years.... I'm not really that interested. Also, I don't think anyone thought it was a hard requirement. People are just worried that if they can't come up with 15k, they sleep outside with the Orcs.

Wow! Such enthusiasm! LOL
Let me try to clear this all up if I may.

Jesse,

It sounds like you are suggesting that people (or groups) can pay for the materials and/or materials and labor to make a cabin. First, is that what you are actually doing? If so, what does that mean? If Riverchester gets together it's bubble-gum money and pays to have a cabin built, with some mattresses and stuff, is it theirs? When someone else rents the land, do they pay Riverchester to use the cabin? If you want all the cabins updated in year two, is Riverchester committed to following up on future upgrades? If they don't, what does that mean for their "ownership"? If Idle Crossroads uses the cabin for a DR event and gets zed blood all over the mattresses, is that a deal between Riverchester and Idle Crossroads, or is it something you handle?

I guess I'm saying.... there are some questions about how all this works and what your intent is.
William

People can pay for the materials and labor, yes. I am going to try to work out a way for them to also defray some of the labor costs by coming out and helping to build it. Unskilled laborers to folks who know a thing or two. lol
"Theirs" is a tricky definition. Let me try to clarify... (in full transparency to the community) so we are all clear and there is less overall confusion and less assumptions being made. I am going to spend every last penny I have on building as many cabins and a tavern for us as I am able to. I will try to update them with beds and mattresses before June, wood burning stoves before the fall, electricity and full insulation as fast as I can, but that's looking like year two.
My fear is that money will run out for all of the Jesse bought cabins and tavern, (because I'm aiming for a town) and because our game is so large, some folks might not get cabins and I might have to go to a "we might limit our game's PC numbers in cabins to X for this event" until we can build more. That's my fear. So... to counter that (and because several folks asked me privately like I asked them to do on the GoFundMe), I have offered a cabin of "their own" if they pay for it. Let me now define that.
If a team or bunch of players want to do this, here is what that means for them. They get a crap ton of GS and DS as this is really a GIANT donation and not a real estate investment. They get that cabin at every event to call their own and decorate as they wish. They also get to store their larp gear, bedding, decorations, etc... there as well. Let me be absolutely clear- This is NOT going to be a money making opportunity for anyone in any fashion, even if other groups want to rent our site. Any rental of the property by another group is going to allow us to filter that back into the game with the necessary upgrades we need, including a shower/bathroom house in year two, for example, or a better kitchen for the tavern. I totally understand and recognize that this might mean that folks are less inclined to donate and I understand, but I am still offering this up to those who still think that this is a worthwhile investment for the game, the community, and a place to call their "own" while they larp.

In your example, Riverchester does not get paid, nor are they obligated to do any upgrades whatsoever. If they want to sleep on the floor in sleeping bags and never have floor or wall insulation, nor electricity, that's totally fine. I'm not trying to make anyone have to pay for anything here if they don't want to. That's why I listed the options separately so folks could see what their choices were.
In your option of zed blood, just like any other camp, that would be something that I would handle, just like we got screwed out of 2 deposits in 2017 for example. I would replace the mattresses immediately and then have whatever larp pay for any damages. I would like to think that both of our communities are way better suited to handle Larp accidents such as that, quite unlike the picky caretaker at Magic Sky.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more if you think of any other concerns.

I'm glad Parzival responded to this. Some of my concerns were covered there. The way the post reads, it sounds like you're expecting us as players to bear the brunt of the cost for cabins if we want the cabins to be built on this land you purchased.

I love the idea of having a land built for and geared towards use as LARP space, but I don't have the kind of money lying around to help pay for the cabin builds to become a reality. Am I going to only be able to tent camp if I can't pitch in towards the cost of building these cabins? How does that work?

And how will this work for new players coming in, players who don't know yet if they even like Alliance? I wouldn't expect them to invest money into these cabin builds when they don't even know if they like the LARP yet. For new players and even traveling players (which we have been getting more of in Denver), are we expecting them to be investing into the builds? Right now, it's $50 per event, with an additional $20 for cabins. Are those costs for cabins going to increase a bunch to pay for this?

Or is this post simply a post where you're showing us how much things cost so that we're aware how much goes into building them? Because the way the post reads, it seems like an expectation for us to help pay for them vs just being an informational cost breakdown post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Amber,
I think I answered that above, as I will be using every last penny to pay for as many cabins as I can afford that I will offer to those who can't chip in for their own.
New players will be able to sleep in the cabins I am paying for.
In June, tenting is $40 and cabins are $60, so that goes down, not up. It would be unfair for me to charge higher than sky high or magic sky if I can't even offer electricity in all of the cabins. (Though I will have an extension cord running to one closest to the house for Cpap folks!)
YES! That's exactly what my post is! :)

Ok, since I like to see numbers all totaled...correct me if I'm wrong. (Edit: Updated with Mark's possible read)
Low End
-12x12 = $2025
- Labor = $2025 to $4050
- Mattresses = $100 x 4-6 = $400 to $600
Total for a small group: Up to $7295 ($5270 if I misread the labor), plus wall insulation

High End
- 16x24 = $4370
- Labor = Up to $8740
- Mattresses = $100 x 14 to 16 = $1400 to $1600
- Floor insulation = $220+
Total for a large group: Up to $15,330 ($10,960 if I misread the labor), plus wall insulation

Definitely will want to clarify what we get for that kind of money, beyond a set building to decorate. :)

Correction incoming! Labor in your example of 12x12 will be no more than 2035. (my post - "but the TOTAL will not exceed twice the materials cost")
16x24 labor not to exceed 4370. Remember, that is NOT to exceed, but it could be a lot less with me helping and potentially you guys too!
AHH! Mark is correct! I see your corrections in parentheses! Yes! THAT!
Remember that other than materials and labor, insulation, stoves, and mattresses are optional. If you want a cabin like Citadel, for example, I am willing to work with teams on lesser buildouts. Heck, even if you want to ADD things over time, that is an option as well. The floor insulation would be the only thing that would be required that could not be added later. But stove, beds, mattresses, wall insulation and interior walls can be.

Many of us have questions along the lines of Will's helpful list. Rivervale had a team meeting the other night wherein we composed a central list of all detailed questions we have, and Mac is emailing that to Jesse. if we get answers before they're posted here, we'll share what info we get.

Let us all understand that this is a presented opportunity for players to donate money to speed up the construction of cabins, and potential gain some (as yet unannounced) benefits in choice of cabin and its ammenities, and onsite storage space, etc. No one expects you to pay to build your own cabin in order to have housing space when you LARP. This is an opportunity, not a requirement. Let's simmer down on that revolution for the time being.

Trace

Trace,
YES! All of this!

Actually, I'm hoping this isn't true. If I can put down money on a cabin, and then rent it out to other groups (or my own group) for LARP events, that is an opportunity I'm willing to look at and if the numbers make sense, I'll invest in that idea. If I'm dropping 6k for the right to use a cabin for a few years.... I'm not really that interested. Also, I don't think anyone thought it was a hard requirement. People are just worried that if they can't come up with 15k, they sleep outside with the Orcs.

Will,
Sorry to disappoint you, but as I said, this will not be a money making investment for any group and should really read as a GIANT DONATION with perks, amenities, and choices while you larp. Any money from any other larp group will go back into making the camp better for all of us.

Hey! We aren't THAT bad!

Another question: Do we have a say in the design process?

You have a say in style of cabin- there are two- tudor village and wooden siding cabin-esque. Design process is rectangle or square and have already been decided upon and layouts have been figured out. If you'd like to work with the builder on something totally different, sadly, I'd have to put you to the back of the list of donors because time is of the essence and these have already been planned out.

Hope that helps a bit to clear the confusion. Sorry if I got your hopes up and then dashed them summarily in this post.

Upwards and onwards,
Jesse

Thanks, Jesse! Updated my original post, so it's less confusing.

Last edited:
Sorry to add more questions to this, just making sure I understand what's happening.

So, Jesse, I have previously expressed an interest in helping to build my cabin. I would like to do that. Can you provide a working schedule for people who want to come up during those times to volunteer (either to build cabins or otherwise help out)? That prevents people trying to get ahold of you all the time. :)

Secondly, if I pay for a cabin of my own, do I still pay the $60 cabin fee every month? Do we get a few months "free" for such a large donation? (Forgive me if this seems rude or impertinent, I just want to make sure I -and everyone else- have all the answers. :) )

Third question, if I am storing my things in "my" cabin, do I get veto power over whether or not it gets used for other LARPs? The reason I ask is because I do play DR and would intend to use "my" cabin for that if I purchased/helped build one, but I don't play EVERY DR game, and wouldn't necessarily feel super comfortable leaving my things in a space someone I may not know or trust is using.

Not at this time... but I will soon... my main concern is all the regular "open" cabins going up first that will house the majority of the player base. Also, it's been ridiculously cold up here. Today was 18. When things thaw a bit we will chat. April and May are looking really good for work days, but I will let you all know which specifically.... soon.

Yes, you would still pay.

You do not get veto power. However, you would get a lock and a closet for your stuff to stay all nice and unstolen/unbroken.

more to come...

Jesse

UPDATE:::::!!!!:::!!!

After discussing this with my wonderful, amazing fiance, Diana, we have agreed to pick up the tab for all Labor costs. Players will only have to commit to Materials and other things they want mentioned above.
Hope that helps folks decide a bit easier!!!

Upwards and Onward,

Jesse

Does the addition of electricity in year 2 also mean the addition of electric-based heat? or should we plan on wood stove if we want a builder-installed heat source?

I hadn't gotten that far yet honestly. I was thinking of wood burning stoves for now, but if that's a preference, we can do research and discuss some options like baseboards, electric oil burners, or other.
I am open to suggestions in year two if you don't like wood burning stoves. Keep in mind wood burning stoves are going to be way cheaper and wood is free here. lol
But if you want that modern convenience, I totally understand.

Edit: Got my answers elsewhere on this, disregard!

Last edited:
Back