Calamacil Throwing Knives, Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbush3

Scholar
Hello Marshals,

I have a player who was wanting to buy latex throwing knives from Calamacil. I am posting two links to the types of throwing knives he is looking at. They are coreless. Would they be considered safe and allowed in an Alliance event? I know that ultimately they would need to be checked physically by a Marshal, but before he goes putting out money I am hoping to find out if it is worth it for him to do so. Links posted below. Thank you.

http://www.calimacil.com/weapons/knives/caesar-color.html

http://www.calimacil.com/weapons/knives/wooden-throwing-knife-larp.html

This isn't a question that can actually be answered online. Determination of weapon legality, based on material, is a local decision (and many games only have specific marshals that can check latex weapons).

If the question is purely one of dimensions, you can check the web dimensions against the rules in the book and don't need a marshal response.

On a purely personal note, based solely on the pictures (which may or may not be accurate to what the weapons actually look like in real life), I would say the seemingly sharp points on the second throwing knife definitely disqualify it for safe to throw. The first seems to be much more of an edge case. It might pass and it might not, but without holding it in my hand, I couldn't say for sure and no other marshal should be able to either.

Mike S.
HQ Marshal

P.S. - Calamacil usually fails in most Alliance chapters
P.P.S. - Since this isn't really a marshal question, this thread should probably be closed by a Paladin

Upvote 0
As an Oregon Marshal, I agree with Mike. That is the problem with many thrown weapons. Also, I have done a lot of research on the Calamacil weapons. I have found that they are using a softer foam now for many of their weapons. Their "Elven" blade is still too hard. Its a denser foam to take the designs better.

I say buy one. If it doesnt clear as a thrown weapon, they can still use it as a weapon to cut people free from entangles.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back