Calling Holds in field battles

Alex319

Artisan
Sometimes there are instances in field battles where a player does something that demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of the rules or an effect that has happened. Some examples (all of these are things that I have actually experienced in field battles):

1. I cast a Web spell at an enemy and the enemy takes the effect. About 10 seconds later, the enemy suddenly starts moving again (without calling "I rip free" or any other effect)

2. I use an Endow on an unconscious PC to try to bring him to safety. After calling "Endow, I pick you up" and running for 5 seconds, I look back and see that the player is still lying there and not moving, and apparently the player had not even realized he was picked up.

3. I see another PC next to me get hit with a Charm spell and just stand there confused, apparently not knowing what the Charm spell did.

When these things happen in small battles, like on mods, I can usually call a "Hold" to clarify what has happened. The question is what to do if the same thing happens in a large field battle. I see a few options:

A. Call a "Hold" to clarify the issue.
B. Try to clarify the issue with the other player without calling a "Hold".
C. Don't try to clarify what happened, and just continue playing (possibly reporting the issue after the battle)

The problem with (A) is that it can force a battle with several dozen people in it to pause to resolve a question that only directly affected one or two players.

The problem with (B) is that it means that while we are trying to clarify what has happened, we are still in game and something else could easily go on while we are discussing. (This happened in the situation (1) above; as I tried to follow the NPC to tell him that he was still webbed, another monster was able to kill me. At least I got a Life spell) And in the case of situation (2) - if you used the endow to grab a player who was down behind enemy lines, having to go back (with the battle still going on) and spend a few seconds explaining to the player that he was picked up with Endow, you've negated the original reason you used the Endow (to get the player up while minimizing the amount of time you spent in the dangerous area)

The problem with (C), of course, it is means the issue was not corrected, and could lead to someone effectively wasting a spell or ability just because the other player didn't know what the effect did.

Clearly all of these possibilities have some negative, the question is what is the lesser of the three evils? As a player, am I allowed (and should I) call a "Hold" in any of these situations or are there times when I need to do (B) or (C) instead?

I will mention as a side note that another LARP system that I have played allows a "mini-hold" to be called where only the players involved in the clarification are temporarily out-of-game; the rest of the players can continue fighting. I strongly dislike the "mini-hold" idea because it effectively allows a player to pop out of game at any time and become invulnerable, then pop back into game and immediately start attacking, without even needing a three-count to get back in - and this can be more disruptive to combat flow that whatever the initial issue was. (Consider that the only IG abilities that let you do this are the 9th level spell Prison and plot- or monster-only abilities like rifting and Gaseous Form.) And even if players are not attempting to abuse this, the disruption can still happen even if there is no intent to do so.

In a large battle, I would opt for B or C myself. Which I would do would really depend on who was involved. If the NPC made the mistake, or a PC wasn't being seriously negatively effected by it, I would let it pass. If a PC was being seriously effected (like not being carried away), I would try to explain it quickly without a hold. Only if a PC was about to take a death would I call a hold in a major battle.

I would also add an option D to your list. Deal with it when someone else calls a hold. At that point "the harm is done" as far as disrupting the battle is concerned, so it can be taken care of adding more serious disruption.

Noland Gregory
IC: Apprentice William of Shadyside

Of course, "dealing with it when someone else calls a hold" isn't really possible a lot of the time. Telling someone that they were picked up three minutes ago and brought back to where the healers are doesn't really help much if he was sitting behind enemy lines bleeding out, and now needs a life spell.

Going back in time is not an option in combat in this game. Basically, if someone misses a call, they miss a call. If that means they get killed from it and end up in a circle, well, that's what happens. Generally speaking, the honor system is the best we can expect from everyone in the middle of a big fight, especially one at night. For individual calls, I wouldn't call a hold at all. If they hear you, the effect will happen, if they don't, make yourself known and louder.

I know during the last event, I got hit with a berserk, and as I was running into the group of PC's I heard a specific person scream at me that they hit me with an awaken 10 steps back. Does that change the fact that I hit several people and laid out a healer? Nope. Just means that the cure took a little longer to take effect in game.

Big fights are loud, chaotic and extremely difficult to manage. People will do what they can to adhere to the rules as they can, but sometimes things are going to slip. Its okay, just roll with it and move on. I know I generally make good contact with the NPC and get (and give) a little nod if a hit happens.

Holds should be reserved for actual safety issues and things we absolutely have to break for.

Fade I agree up to a point, however say I cast a charm or repulse or something along those line said npc ignores it and lays me flat that would result in the rez circle. I would want to make sure they understood the spell I cast before I took the death, yes it might disrupt the flow of battle but so could taking out a player which could possible result in a cascade affect ( ie healer not there to use life on fighter that falls, the fighteris then not available to protect mage , so mage falls etc.

I completely agree with Fade, above: Holds should be reserved for actual safety issues and things we absolutely have to break for.

That doesn't mean that our only recourse is stop the whole game, or do nothing, though. There's a lot of room between taking a quick moment to talk to a few persons in a single area of the field to clarify, "What spell did you just throw at me? Got it!" and so forth -- and calling a full-on HOLD which brings the entire game to a screeching halt.

Trace

In large field battles, I easily have at least 5 "Hey what just happened?" with or without the Marshal involved. Hell, I fed Morningtide a Purify, walked over and asked at a distance from Jesse if it cured him, Jesse said yes, and we went on battling. No hold needed, didn't even disrupt the fight (and heck I had to block a NPC while headed over to Jesse's earshot).

Essentially, the clarification of "Did you get X?" or "What does Y do?" without a need for a hold is totally doable.

Back