car accident

Hi, I don't know if any or many of you remember my boyfriend Adam. This is his username and I do believe he has went to atleast one event. I think his character thing is Aeneaus. Anyways he was coming home from stooping at my work and taking me to lunch when he was tboned by a semi truck going 50mph. He got out of it with relatively few injuries but he is scheduled for surgery this morning. He has to have pins and such placed in his right thumb to re attach the bone. So if any of you that actually pray... would keep him in your prayers I would appreciate it.

Thank You
Shanna

He and those close to him will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad he's Relatively unhurt. I hope that everything works out. I hope that he has a speedy recovery and can continue to play the game he enjoys.

-Chris SMN staff

Sorry mike he's on the MN crew. So if you wanted to come down I'm sure that he'd appreciate it....

squeegee said:
Sorry mike he's on the MN crew. So if you wanted to come down I'm sure that he'd appreciate it....

Alright! No wonder I didn't recognize the name.

My legal advice is this to anyone who is in an accident caused by someone else:

Get a lawyer as soon as you can
Do not give any statements to the insurance company
Do not accept any offers from the insurance company to settle it
Keep a diary listing what medications you are taking, which doctors you are seeing, and how you feel each day
Save all your medical records and bills

:D

Ambulance%20Chasing_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

Hey guys, Thanks for the concern. I had surgery monday morning. The surgery went an hour longer than it was suppose to as the Dr found out it was broken in 2 places instead of 1. They had to put a plate and 5 screw into my thumb :-/ kinda lame. It hurts crazy bad right now and the vicodin really aren't touching the pain :-/ But bright side is that Dr said in about 4 weeks they should be able to take the cast off. He also said I shouldbe able to use the hand normally! Woot! no medical forging into a caster ^.^ I may get out tomorrow and take pictures of my truck tomorrow and post them so you all can see it. But anyways like I said thanks for the concern.

Many Thanks,
Adam

Fearless Leader said:
squeegee said:

Alright! No wonder I didn't recognize the name.

My legal advice is this to anyone who is in an accident caused by someone else:

Get a lawyer as soon as you can
Do not give any statements to the insurance company
Do not accept any offers from the insurance company to settle it
Keep a diary listing what medications you are taking, which doctors you are seeing, and how you feel each day
Save all your medical records and bills

:D

Ever wonder why people's insurance rates are so high? :lol: I'm assuming your advice is for people who were actually hurt, not just "any accident where the other person is at fault."
-toddo, claim adjuster

Glad to hear you're making out ok, Adam. Have a speedy recovery!

Glad to hear you're making out ok, Adam. Have a speedy recovery!

Toddo said:

Ever wonder why people's insurance rates are so high? :lol: I'm assuming your advice is for people who were actually hurt, not just "any accident where the other person is at fault."
-toddo, claim adjuster

Well, of course! If the other person isn't at fault, then there is no lawsuit. If the other person is at fault, then they should pay your bills. And if the other person has insurance, that's what they are paying their insurance for.

Amazingly, insurance rates keep going up no matter what happens. Even when jury awards keep going down (partially because jurors keep hearing about how these awful lawyers are causing their insurance rates to rise), even when states pass laws limiting the amount of money you can get when you are injured, even when there is no evidence of any relationship between states that have higher jury rewards and states that do not, your insurance rates go up.

It's a mystery! :D

I respectfully disagree, Mike. I see no mystery at all. Insurance companies aren't in the business to help people, but to make money. Margins must be met and continue to rise, therefore rates must go up, even if rewards go down.

Unless you were being ironic. :D

(I've been in finance too long. I've gone all cynical and stuff....)

;)
ChrisO

chriso said:
I respectfully disagree, Mike. I see no mystery at all. Insurance companies aren't in the business to help people, but to make money. Margins must be met and continue to rise, therefore rates must go up, even if rewards go down.

;)
ChrisO

I'm just pointing out that insurance companies are not being entirely honest when they attempt to blame lawyers for high insurance rates. ;)

Fearless Leader said:
chriso said:

;)
ChrisO

I'm just pointing out that insurance companies are not being entirely honest when they attempt to blame lawyers for high insurance rates. ;)

Rate structures are broken, and the fact that a lot of them factor your credit score (and many other silly things) into your rates makes me more angry than I can express. Lawyers aren't wholly to blame, it's more that a lot of people are under the impression that if you get rear ended it's like winning the lottery, coupled with jurisdictions that award gigantic settlements because you sprained your wrist.
My view is that someone hits you and you are injured, your medical bills should be paid. By and large they are, (at least where I work, I can't speak for the industry as a whole) even weird ones like aromatherapy for neck pain. (a colleague actually paid one of those last month) I have no problem with pain and suffering/emotional distress payments and there are times, like when a mother of four is killed in an accident or there is a permanent disfigurement/disability when a huge settlement is entirely appropriate. But $10,000 because the airbag gave you a black eye? Please. Great Britain has a chart (I'll see if I can track it down and post it) that has it all broken down, soft tissue injury is worth X, Loss of index finger on non-master hand is Y, it's actually funny to read. But maybe they can do that because everyone has health insurance. :lol:
-toddo

PS- Mike, I wasn't attacking ya in that first post, you and I both are in professions that are by and large reviled when our primary functions in our jobs are helping people. And Chriso, I don't know about my company's goals but my job is helping people recover from losses, and doing so in a timely, courteous and humane manner. If the company happens to make money while I'm doing this I don't get involved unless the paychecks stop coming. ;)

Serious - good luck with the recovery.

Back