Carrying a sword without a hilt

Ash

Artisan
I've recently come into possession of a great one-handed spear. That being said, I'll be needing a place to carry my long and short swords while I'm not using them. The problem: I have no hilts on them and have no wish to add them as the hilts are the way I want them.

I'm thinking it will have to be some sort of over the shoulder rig, but I can't figure out how to do it to make it easy in/easy out in case of disarms.

Any thoughts? Pictures would be appreciated if anyone has found a solution to this problem before.

Thanks guys!

pics of the weapon would help to come up w/ a solution.

I'll post pictures when I get home but until then, a brief description:

The swords (both long and short) are both homemade boffer weapons with the 5/8ths foam wrapped around the core. They are both almost max length for their respective sizes. (they were max length but I recently removed the waylay tips to create a better grip.) They are both also almost max grip length for their respective sizes.

Thanks again!

someone in the NW use something like this.

13777_P

I think if the weapons are the same length, you could measure out a length of leather, put 1-2 clips at the top & a leather cap at the bottom to keep the 2 weapons in the same general place.

The swords I have are a one handed long and a one handed short, so their lengths are different, but that clip looks like it would be a good beginning. I'd just have to build a harness around it.

hmm...

SkollWolfrun said:
I think if the weapons are the same length, you could measure out a length of leather, put 1-2 clips at the top & a leather cap at the bottom to keep the 2 weapons in the same general place.

Ash said:
The swords I have are a one handed long and a one handed short, so their lengths are different, but that clip looks like it would be a good beginning. I'd just have to build a harness around it.

hmm...

Don't forget the leather caps (or "tip cups") that SkollWolfrun mentioned to keep them from sliding/wiggling around while they're strapped to you. I know I've seen something like what he described before while I've been looking around the interwebs...once I find it again, I'll edit and add it in so you can see.

Ash said:

hmm...

i would recommend a plastic sheet core wrapped with leather, then you could attach 2 separate caps for the different lengths.

maybe something like http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=410&
should give a stable platform for pop-riveting

When you say "hilt" do you mean cross guard? Because I am seeing a weapon with a handle and nothing else on the bottom, just pipe and I'm sure that is not how you have your weapon.

Mounting brackets. You find them in the "Home organization" area of your local superstore of choice. You're looking for the type of thing you use that snaps a broom to the wall. They should come in single size. They'll feel really really stiff when you first get them, but they'll loosen up a little bit (you don't want them too loose anyways). They'll have two holes (one on each side) that are intended to be screwed to the wall, but instead you'll rivot them to a loop of leather, and put that on your belt. They're the thing that Sean is thinking of when he posted the picture above (but they don't quite look like that, they're single, metal, and spring loaded).

We use them out here to carry claws without crossguards, blunts, axes, etc.
~Matt, WCV

Gilwing said:
When you say "hilt" do you mean cross guard? Because I am seeing a weapon with a handle and nothing else on the bottom, just pipe and I'm sure that is not how you have your weapon.

No that's pretty much right. It is the core, with a foam blade made to specs, a 13 inch handle with no waylay tip. It makes using it with 2 hands if need be about a hundred times more effective. (the bottom part of the handle has a small bit of closed cell foam on it, but since waylay tips are no longer required unless you're going to waylay, I chose not to have one.)

I can't find the camera or I'd have a picture up of my weapons already. As soon as I find it, I'll post 'em up.

Ash said:
Gilwing said:

No that's pretty much right. It is the core, with a foam blade made to specs, a 13 inch handle with no waylay tip. It makes using it with 2 hands if need be about a hundred times more effective. (the bottom part of the handle has a small bit of closed cell foam on it, but since waylay tips are no longer required unless you're going to waylay, I chose not to have one.)

I can't find the camera or I'd have a picture up of my weapons already. As soon as I find it, I'll post 'em up.

"the bottom part of the handle has a small bit of closed cell foam on it" That part right there makes it ok. If not it should fail.

Back